Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Duke and the Bear

Hi guys!
Duke came running in from the yard this morning all excited. When he calmed down, he said he saw a bear. I said, "What? Where?" He said he trailed it to the woods and treed it. It was small....about his size. I said, "Well, it won't hurt much being it's so small." Later, I saw the neighbor, Bob. He said, "Have you seen the bear?" I said, "No." He went on to say that Sue, the old woman down the street, saw it. Was as big as a man.....standing 200 lbs. at least.....she called the cops. Saw Officer John later. He said he didn't see it, but others said it was more like 400 lbs. and 7 feet tall and a maneater and that I'd better stay indoors 'til they shot it. Soooo, I talked to Duke again and asked about the bear. As I loaded the AR-15, he kept saying it was small. So, I grabbed my walking stick and said, "Let's go!" We went in the woods, and Duke, being the little tracker that he is, found the little guy curled up sleeping. So, we left....going out quietly so as not to waken the little guy. When we got home, Duke said he was so cute and wouldn't hurt much. I said, "Wait 'til he gets big. He'll terrorize the town!"
Just as a bear in the market will do.......start out small (i.e., oil).....then, grow (i.e., transportation).....soon terrorizing the whole market (i.e., flat year) 'til it's HUGE (like Greece). So, one must be ready for this. But there is good in this also (cheaper prices). However, just like I hoped there was no big bear around (i.e., slowing economy, deflation), it's best to check things out for oneself and not believe what you're told all the time (i.e., all the end-of-year forecasts you hear). But have a loaded gun just in case (i.e., a plan).
God bless!
the Pudd

Comments

• edited January 2016
    Hi pudd,

I like your way with words.

Skeet
  • Thanks for the riveting story. This is really a good hangout. Is it just me or does it seem the market starts the little bear part/tease at the end of 8 year President cycles?
  • @Puddnhead This I can understand!
  • “That’s the effect of living backward,” the White Queen said kindly. “It always makes one a little giddy at first—”

“Living backward!” Alice repeated in great astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”

“—but there’s one great advantage in it: that one’s memory works both ways.”

“I’m sure mine only works one way,” Alice remarked. “I can’t remember things before they happen.”

“It’s a poor sort of memory that only works backward,” the queen remarked.

“What sort of things do you remember best?” Alice ventured to ask.

“Oh, things that happened the week after next,” the queen replied in a careless tone. “For instance, now,” she went on, sticking a large piece of plaster on her finger as she spoke, “there’s the king’s messenger. He’s in prison now, being punished—and the trial doesn’t even begin till next Wednesday; and of course the crime comes last of all.”
  • Hi heezsafe,
    Alice I am, the Queen I am not. What a thoughtful post.....to say what is not.
    God bless
    the Pudd