Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

two more candidates down

Christie and Fiorina suspended their campaigns per my Twitter feed.

Comments

• I would think Carson will this week as well.
  • I think Carson will hang around for a few weeks just to irritate Cruz.
  • Anybody that can irritate Cruz is OK in my book.
  • edited February 2016
    Old_Joe said:

Anybody that can irritate Cruz is OK in my book.

I duno. Got Cruz-control on our car and really like it.:)

Christie did Bush's dirty work for him the other night, though I can't prove they collaborated in advance to bring down Mario Rubio. (But suspect it). Dumb of Rubio. Somebody among the opposition's well-funded media staff obviously caught that oft-repeated cliche scrutinizing their video tapes and Christie was ready to pounce,

• edited February 2016
    Being in NJ, Christie is not well liked right now as he is traveling with his security entourage on the NJ taxpayers' dime and the State economy is going nowhere. Christie was out of the state more than he was in the NJ last year. Bridgegate did not help his cause. Hopefully, he has been humbled by this experience in New Hampshire.
  • @Hank- that's what we need at the national level- Cruz Control! Maybe Elon Musk or one of those tech guys can work something out.:)
  • edited February 2016
    The Shadow speaks!
    And thank you for the unique perspective. I hear there's lots of dead corpses in NJ.:)
  • Hank, dead is the only kind of corpses.:)
  • edited February 2016
    Old_Joe said:

Hank, dead is the only kind of corpses.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1071809/

And there's frequent reported sightings of Jimmy Hoffa here in Michihan.:)
  • @hank

The death taxes in NJ (including inheritance and estate) will make a corpse roll over in their grave.
  • Next thing you know we will start seeing Pat Paulsen for president buttons and I bet there will be plenty of people who will write him in, despite the fact he has been dead for almost 20 years. This has become such a circus; wonder what the other side of the pond and other countries feel about all this.
  • slick said:

wonder what the other side of the pond and other countries feel about all this.

They probably wonder why we drag it out so long and waste so much money on campaigning.

• As a follow up, for those who are unfamiliar with Pat Paulsen, here are some of his gems:

You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can only make a monkey out of the voters every four years!
    Pat Paulsen

Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles.
    Pat Paulsen

Having a comic in the White House will assure stability in foreign relations. The world will continue to respond to foreign initiatives by saying, 'You must be joking.'
    Pat Paulsen

I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
    Pat Paulsen

It's tough campaigning, kissing hands and shaking babies.
    Pat Paulsen

Presidents tend to tinker, you know, and mess everything up.
    Pat Paulsen
  • Regarding taxes in NJ - while it may have high property taxes, it has the second lowest gasoline tax in the country (after Alaska), last raised in 1988. Resulting in truly crumbling roads (third worst in the country). The increase in gas tax needed to fund repairs is much less than the damage that bad roads are costing car owners annually. Christie recently doubled down on no new gas taxes.

Christie killed a Hudson river tunnel project that was vital to NJ commuters, ostensibly so that he could use the allocated Port Authority money to fund NJ roads.

Now five years later there's a new project, Gateway, that's going to cost us non-New Jerseyites an extra $7B dollars. ($10B in fed funding vs. $3B for the original project.) You don't have to be from NJ to understand why he's so "beloved" there.

With respect to NJ estate taxes ... NJ exempts from taxation the lowest amount in the country ($675,000).

• @msf

The $675,000 amounts to the value of a house in Bergen, Essex, or Morris County NJ if nothing else. There is talk is getting rid of the estate tax, but it is only talk and something will need to fill the monetary void by getting rid of the estate tax.

Yes the gas tax is low, the Transportation Trust Fund is running out of money and nothing has been done to replenish it.
  • edited February 2016
    Outstanding interview with Bernie on Colbert last night. Gosh - There's an awful lot to like there ...
    And Colbert had a funny one-liner about Christie's failure "to bounce" in New Hampshire. Politics can be cruel.:)
    ---
    Colbert's on my bucket list of things to do in NY.