Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Walden vs Boston Trust

Can anyone explain whether it is better to invest in funds from one company vs the other? Seems to be same manager, but for someone reason they are subadvising the other firm. Also the funds are slightly different from each other.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SRI/ESG?

http://www.waldenassetmgmt.com/mutual-funds

Walden Asset Management, a division within Boston Trust, manages portfolios for clients seeking to generate social and environmental impact with their investments. Walden encourages portfolio companies to improve their environmental, social and governance (ESG) performance and transparency utilizing customized portfolio screens and shareholder engagement strategies. Engagement strategies include dialogue with company management, proxy voting, sponsorship of shareholder resolutions, and public policy advocacy.
  • I own BTBFX - good Perfomance,Rereasonable Expense Ratio,Small AUM
  • Yes I own BTBFX also, I use it as a counter balance to VWINX

God Bless
    The Pudd
  • @MFO Members: WAMFX vs. BTMFX: Min. Investment $100,000
    Regards,
    Ted
    M* Snapshot WAMFX:
    http://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/wamfx/quote.html

M* Snapshot BTMFX:
    http://www.morningstar.com/funds/XNAS/BTMFX/quote.html
  • WAMFX,BTMFX at Fido
    250 in 401 brokerage link
    2500 in ira

the Pudd
  • BTBFX manager owns the fund. WSBFX manager does not own the fund (but he owns other Walden funds...). WSBFX also seems to have underperformed a tad bit. There has to be something regarding mirroring all funds across Boston Trust and Walden.

BTBFX is on my list now...
  • @ducrow
    I own BTBFX - good Perfomance,Rereasonable Expense Ratio,Small AUM
    Good work!

@Puddenhead
    Yes I own BTBFX also, I use it as a counter balance to VWINX
    Excellent choice(s).

@VF Despite the SRI/ESG focus of WSBFX, the portfolios as of the September 2016 semi-annual report are very similar on the stock and bond side with significant overlap, and so I'm seeing very little difference using the SRI/ESG criteria between them. At .99, the two funds are highly correlated throughout their long history.

In its 21-year history, BTBFX has only had four losses: 2000: -1.55%; 2002: -1.33%; 2005: -.02; and 2008: -17.76%. Its lifetime performance against the S&P 500 lags by -.7%; 20 yr. by -.2; 10 yr. by -.2; 5 yr. by -5; 3 yr. by -3.1; and 1 yr. by -6.6.

BTBFX has underperformed the SP500, its benchmark, during the current Up Cycle (200903-201701 by 6.7% and the previous Up Cycle by -5.7% However, its performance in Full Cycle periods is outstanding: +4.1% (200009-200710) and -0.5 in 200711-201701.

During Down Cycles, 200009-200209 and 200711-200902, it outperformed by +21% in each period. Furthermore, its Sharpe, Sortino, and Martin Ratios are superior for 20 and 10 yrs., competitive for 5 and 3 yrs., but lag more in the last year. Its MAXDD is superior or much superior to the S&P for 20,10,5,3, and 1 yr.

While the Lipper Flexible Category fund MBEAX profiled this month is not in the Mixed Asset Target Allocation Growth Category (70-85%) like BTBFX, a comparison of the 10-Year Performance of BTBFX vs. PEERS, VBINX, VGSTX, and MBEAX (Since 200702) shows superior performance and risk metrics for BTBFX vs. its own peers, VBINX, VGSTX, and MBEAX in all areas except three for MBEAX: Recovery +9 mos., STD DEV +.1, and ULCER +.3.

I haven't looked at too many other AA products, but based on the research I've done, BTBFX as a GO and 5* at our competitor is worthy of consideration and is owned at MFO. Its ER is .94, and the 100K institutional minimum is waived at VG, Fido, and at TD, where it's 1K. The firm will not make it available at Scottrade or Schwab, as I learned last week, because it is too expensive to list there, they said.

I'm glad you noticed the fund and posted your question. Because I had been working on the product too, I thought I'd add what I can. (My apologies if you already know these things.) Best.

• @openice- nice work, good post!
  • @openice - I feel overwhelmed when some takes so much trouble. Really appreciate it.
  • VF- yes, for sure.