Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

My princess makes me proud

If all goes to plan...
1) My elder will start @ the U. of TX @ Austin this fall
2) Allegedly a top 6 school (US News Ranking) - McCombs School of Business - for an undergraduate degree.
3) Keeping my dream alive of turning at least child into a mutual fund manager
4) Last but not the least not making me regret I'm not that smart an investor by not requiring me to shell out a gazillion dollars.

I dunno if the horns are long, but my chest is sure swelling with pride.

Comments

• Congrats...Hell of a town to get an aged steak and hopefully a college degree.

Isn't Austin, TX where Yacktman Funds are located...Internship?
  • edited March 2017
    bee said:

Congrats...Hell of a town to get an aged steak and hopefully a college degree.

Isn't Austin, TX where Yacktman Funds are located...Internship?

Hah! I didn't know that. Didn't even think any mutual fund would operate out of Austin. Good find.

I think I'm probably the only person who wants their child to grow up and become a Mutual Fund manager:-). My parents wanted me to become an engineer, lawyer, doctor, architect, etc. Seriously though no one can stop one from becoming an (incompetent) mutual fund manager, while I think it is possible to do that in the other more erstwhile occupations.
  • edited March 2017
    I really gotta do Austin. Great music scene. Listening right now to Jackson Browne play Austin City Limits, some time ago. Loved their theme music, which Jerry Jeff Walker made famous, though I think Gary Nunn wrote the thing. "London Homesick Blues."
  • edited March 2017
    Screw you, we're from Texas. ;)
  • Hey, Molly Ivans was outta Austin, so it's OK in my book!
  • My useless advice to @VintageFreak is don't saddle any kid with a career aspiration that is really your own. "My son, the doctah," is all about Mom, not the kid.
  • beebee
    edited March 2017
    Austin, TX...home to many great songwriters, here's another one...Nanci Griffith.

Thanks @Crash. I caught JJW with Emmylou Harris in the Berkshires in the 80's (Music Mountain).

Texas songwriters=musical poets.

• edited March 2017
    N. Griffith is the best. First saw her in the '80s on PBS while summering in the Alaskan Bush. Here's a buncha Hoser-types from up North, plus one guy from Turkey Scratch, Arkansas: "Ain't No More Cane On The Brazos."
  • @MFO Members: Spent many a wonderful day in Austin in the mid seventies drinking Shiner Beer, that's before the world and Dell Computer discovered it.
    Regards,
    Ted

P.S. In addition to Yackman funds, Austin is also the home of Dimensional Fund Advisors
  • Hook-em Horns