Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

It’s Jerome Powell

edited November 2017 in Off-Topic
Trump’s choice for New Fed Chair http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/02/560800923/trump-picks-federal-reserve-insider-jerome-powell-to-be-its-chairman Anybody know anything about this dude? I commented somewhere back last Nov or Dec I didn’t think Yellen would last a year.

Ted? Have you posted this somewhere? News has been out over an hour now and darned if I can find it scrolling your posts.

Comments

• TedTed
    edited November 2017
    @hank: I'm sorry, most of the Linkster's staff is out with the flu !.
    Regards,
    Ted:):):)

Jerome H. Powell Bio:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_H._Powell
  • From Ted's Wickipedia bio he seems like a reasonable person.
  • edited November 2017
    Sorry about the flu Ted. The Powell story’s nothing earth-shaking anyway. Name’s been floated a while. Just curious how I ever got out ahead of the Linkster.

Get well wishes for any of those afflicted.
  • edited November 2017
    @hank, Yellen's 4y term as chair expires in Feb; she's not being fired or resigning, just not being reappointed for another term -- altho reappointment to a second term has been the pattern. Apparently Mnuchin was a Powell champion and won the day - per this Bloomberg article - not the same piece that davidm linked above.

Yellen's board term doesn't expire, tho, till 2024. Haven't seen anything on whether she'll stay on as a member, rather than chair.
  • edited November 2017
    “Haven't seen anything on whether she'll stay on as a member, rather than chair.”

Not a snowball’s chance. She can probably pick her place anywhere in academia - here or abroad.
  • "She can probably pick her place anywhere in academia - here or abroad."

Yes, I'd certainly think so. She did a great job with the handoff from Ben Bernanke, and I hope that all goes smoothly with Mr. Powell.
  • edited November 2017
    "goog is your pal"

@davidrmoran

Not my pal, not by a long shot. I believe Google to be one of the most powerful, insidious and dangerous gatherers of personal information in the history of the world. I avoid anything google if I possibly can. Take a look at the scripts your browser is running sometime. Unreal.
  • Oh, that. Sure. Payment for information access. I don't care about that sort of thing.
  • edited November 2017
    hank said:

“Haven't seen anything on whether she'll stay on as a member, rather than chair.” Not a snowball’s chance. She can probably pick her place anywhere in academia - here or abroad.

Guess we can look forward now to hearing what she'll be doing.
  • edited November 2017
    "Payment for information access."

@davidrmoran

More like an invitation to spy on you, track your every move, and make a permanent record of your life. This information is parsed by powerful computers capable of making very accurate "guesses", filling in the blanks to evaluate your likes, dislikes, relationships, relatives, political inclination, education, wealth resources, and probably more that escapes me at the moment.

That information is then shared, sold, rented, and made available to anyone willing to pay for it. And mark my words: the day absolutely will come when the US government, by means legal or not, will acquire every bit of that information so as to keep better track of its citizens "for national security".

Setting the stage for the government to then have the power to instantly block access to every credit card, bank account, and brokerage/mutual fund account you have, so as to render you "harmless", should you happen to merit that treatment in their unchallengeable opinion.

Quite a price for "information access". Maybe we should care about "that sort of thing."

(And no, I'm not a conservative isolationist anarchist second amendment nut... just a typical middle-left West Coast liberal.)

• Still don't care, not one whit.

And wow, if you really think the gov is someday going to acquire it all for some nefarious purpose, you are more libertarian than I realized, right down to the it's

use Bing and Yahoo instead? Till Alphabet buys them.
  • It's no longer a great big step to the government acquiring unchecked power. The current president thinks that he has that right now. There are plenty of people in his current executive who have no problem at all with the concept.

Couple someone like him, in the future, with an acquiescent roll-over congress and a right-wing packed Supreme Court, and the grand experiment is all over.

Sorry about the "it's"... you have had the benefit of an educational process that I have not. I'll try to remember about "it's", but at 78 years old probably won't.

And no, neither Bing nor Yahoo. I suggest using Duck Duck Go

"DuckDuckGo is an Internet search engine that emphasizes protecting searchers' privacy and avoiding the filter bubble of personalized search results. DuckDuckGo distinguishes itself from other search engines by not profiling its users and by deliberately showing all users the same search results for a given search term. More at Wikipedia
    "

But, this is all pointless, since you don't care.
  • Wow.

Well, yeah, in 10y, after prez Pence has been shot and his libtard shooter publicly flayed, Roe v Wade overturned, the seas up 2', mass inequality protests suppressed, ' it's ' accepted as a variant along w/ her's and your's and our's, right, nothing will matter, the grand experiment will be over, but the gov will be way too downsized to have gathered and parsed all our data.
  • edited November 2017
    @Old_Joe, you've scored one convert here to the Ducky search engine. Seems perfectly fine, relevant results all down the line. Good tip, gracias.
  • @LB, sure, except nothing matters anymore

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/2/16588964/america-epistemic-crisis

surprised the subhed is 'what if'
  • @davidrmoran- And I'm the one who's paranoid. Right.

If you can't see the handwriting, it is (it's) because of willful blindness. Here are just a few existing NSA facilities (by no means the complete collection):

Utah Data Center:

That's certainly comforting. Of course none of us would ever have anything that we wouldn't make public. Including you, David, I'm sure.

Ft Mead, Maryland:

NSA Texas Cryptologic Center, San Antonio, Texas:

NSA Aerospace Data Facility, Aurora, Colorado:

"Downsized" government? Sure thing.

• @AndyJ- Thanks, Andy. Been using DuckDuck for years now... works every bit as well as Google.
  • edited November 2017
    @OldJoe and Davidr
    There's an interesting question here as to whether privacy really exists anymore. I know DuckDuckgo well, but I've heard arguments that chances are much of your private life is already out there anyway. Some time ago I went to a reading of a new book on online privacy and I asked the author, who was saying companies like Facebook basically have a personal profile of pretty much everyone in the U.S. now, whether it mattered if you were a registered Facebook user or not. He said, no it didn't matter because chances are someone you're close to is on it and from the info they provide, Facebook can build a "shadow profile" of you--your age, sex, birthday, race, economic status, address, likes dislikes, political stances--even if you're not registered. It was pretty disturbing.
  • Didn't say you were paranoid, didn't say I don't want privacy, just nothing I much worry about or care about, that's all. One good thing about vast amounts of data is that it's vast.
  • "There's an interesting question here as to whether privacy really exists anymore."

@LewisBraham- Yes, exactly. It's why we have absolutely no interest in Facebook, Twitter, or any other "social sharing" sites. And of course I realize that my attempt to prevent Google from accumulating ever more information is pretty pathetic. But at least I'm trying. Unlike David, who "Still don't care, not one whit". And serenely thinks that the government will stoutly resist access to all of this.

I'm 78. No kids. It's not going to matter all that much to us. Good luck to the younger folks.

• >> And serenely thinks that the government will stoutly resist access to all of this.

no, don't think that either

jeez
  • edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2017
    @Maurice- With you all the way on this one. I also use NoSript to try and shut out Google and Facebook to the extent possible. The one exception is Google-analytics, which seems to be necessary to run MFO properly. MFO management advises that Google-analytics is not harmful to your mental health.

It's a shame that Yellen wasn't reappointed, but Powell seems to be a reasonable sort.
  • edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice- Thanks for the info. I'm not at all surprised by the catch 22 situation.