Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Problems with Amazon

edited December 2017 in Off-Topic
Just wondering if others are experiencieng increased delays in delivery. I just fired off a *#@** email to them asking why I’m paying $100 a year for “Prime” 2-day delivery when so many items arrive late. I’ve noticed too that many “Prime” items (promising 2-day delivery) are priced substantially higher than the same items available on their website, but without the 2-day Prime delivery. In this case you end up paying twice for that faster delivery (first with your annual Prime fee and than again with the higher price). Another issue (not directly Amazon’s fault) is that some sellers will degrade a previously fine item after it has already racked up numerous great reviews. The sellers assume that with all the great reviews they can now cheapen the item (clothing, for example) while continuing to sell it as if it were unchanged and at a premium price. Buyer beware!

I’ve also experienced having negative reviews I posted at Amazon deleted by their censors in recent months - often for some technicality. That’s a relatively new development and makes me loath to waste my time reviewing items for them.

I’ve found that many smaller consumer items can be had at much better prices on Ebay and with free shipping. Coffee and cds or dvds come to mind, Rarely do I wait longer than a week for something from EBay to arrive. Their site is state of the art and very user friendly. EBay helps you resolve disputes (though I’ve had none) and claims to back buyers (though I haven’t needed to ask). Be sure to check on EBay before giving Amazon your money.

Comments

• AMZN uses UPS, and UPS has been saying there may be delays @ the moment due to increased holiday volume and union/driver issues regarding working hours.

AMZN for me is convenient -- I may pay a tad more for something now and then, but I appreciate only having to go there versus many different retailers w/separate accounts on each of them, etc. And I have never, never had a problem w/AMZN's return practices or customer service - they've always done right by me. I rarely if ever post comments or reviews there.

I don't expect to get the lowest price all the time -- but my time is valuable, too, so imho it all balances out. :)

(disclosure: I've been an AMZN user since '97 and a Prime member since the beginning)
  • edited December 2017
    Maybe geography has something to do with it. I live 100 miles south of Louisville. That’s the major UPS hub for the United States. There is also an Amazon distribution center in Campbellsville not far away. But most and almost all of my smaller two day deliveries come via the postal service. Never had any Amazon issues whatsoever, It amazes me how I can place an order on a Saturday afternoon and receive my order on Monday.
  • edited December 2017
    Maybe I’ve been spoiled by their exemplary service over the past 10-15 years. The issues I mentioned are all pretty recent. I will say I love their Kindle devices and subscription features. And I’m now “lost” without an Echo device at my side. Funny how fast you come to rely on a piece of technology like that.

Problems with union drivers? LOL. Give them a nice raise and they’ll be happy. Hasn’t the Fed been working hard to inject some wage inflation into the economy? It amazes me when local businesses complain about trouble finding workers while at the same time paying their existing workers a sub-standard wage - and with no benefits.
  • @hank- I can't say that I've experienced consistent delivery problems, but as for the rest of your observations I'm in agreement. Amazon screws around with their prices like you can't believe. One day an item is eligible for "Prime" delivery, the next day it isn't, the day after that it's an "add-on" item only. Their "advanced AI" computer programs are obviously screwing around to try and obtain the maximum charges for any given item at any given time. Amazon is very useful, but you have to watch them like a hawk. I also agree with you on checking out ebay as an alternative source.
  • Funny that you should bring up this topic Hank. On Monday I ordered some stuff from Amazon. I am not a 'prime' member but I do purchase enough to qualify for the free shipping (usually listed as 5-7 days). Thursday, 3 days later, it was on my front porch. Maybe you should save your membership money.
  • @MFO Members: Never had a problem with delivery on my Amazon orders.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • If you are concerned about Amazon pricing, try the Chrome Extension "Honey" which finds other places which can offer better prices. Works not just with Amazon but with most sites.
  • Got several things Amazon 3 days ago... No problem... Must be Xmas mailing rush
  • Is prime member worth it??
  • edited December 2017
    Geez - Sounds like a bunch of happy campers.

We order 2-3 times weekly from these guys. Everything from vitamin pills to large appliances. Guess that’s 100 or more orders a year. Recent problems must be due to the holidays and weather. I got a nice note back apologizing for the recent issues and giving me a one month extension on Prime. Doesn’t sound like a lot, but in our case it kicks the annual fee from 2017 into 2018. So, it’s kinda like getting an extra $100 added to the 2017 budget at year’s end. Cheers!
    johnN said:

Is prime member worth it??

@JohnN - Good question. Originally “Prime” was all about the “free” 2 day shipping and cost a lot less. But they’ve added free video streaming and raised prices. So, if you want to stream a lot of video it’s probably a good deal. We don’t stream video. So it’s not as attractive for us. There’s also some limited free music streaming which we’ll occasionally use. And it’s darn convenient - which is why we continue to pay for it. As @Mark and others note, you can get free shipping without Prime, but delivery might take a day or two longer and/or require a larger purchase amount.