Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

@Lewis: It's Time To Toughen Up

FYI: Liberals are at a loss.

The U.S. president, who turned out to be more vile and duplicitous than they even had imagined, may or may not be indicted within a year’s time. Meantime, the U.S. Congress is run by conservatives who, spurred by the greed of their donors and the fears of their base, are growing ever more comfortable telling blatant lies, preparing cover-ups and counter-narratives and overhauling the nation’s tax code in the manner of a Vegas caper -- hidden from view with the cash to be divvied among the plunderers.
Regards,
Ted:)
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-12-26/tough-times-for-liberals-mean-it-s-time-to-toughen-up

Comments

• Great tagline, and yes, time to toughen up and resist effectively and in a way that makes for teamwork
  • @davidrmoran
    I agree, but the Bloomberg author assumes this isn't already happening:
    https://nytimes.com/2017/12/04/us/politics/women-candidates-office.html
    It just needs to keep going forward.
  • The trouble I see is that the twit-in-chief doesn't care one bit what you, I or anyone else thinks of him and/or what he does. He believes that he is never at fault, never wrong and that he can bully or buy his way into whatever result he wants. His party and believers lack the spines, morality and ethics to stand in his way, correct or countermand him. 5* pathetic!
  • @LB, be sure to study this Venezuala-born writer's WaPo analysis today on knowing who the enemy is and what to do about it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2017/12/26/to-beat-president-trump-you-have-to-learn-to-think-like-his-supporters
  • @davidr For the most part I agree. After the election I saw similar articles comparing him to Berlusconi who was also teflon when it came to scandals. What concerns me is this:

nybooks.com/articles/2017/12/21/karl-polanyi-man-from-red-vienna/

I also think while he may be immune, Congress certainly isn't.
  • It's clear to me that perhaps 35% of our fellow citizens actually support what passes for government nowadays. That is the REAL problem. Cheeto is who he is and the tools of the economic elite do their bidding for contributions to rent their seats in Congress. The tragedy of time is the failure of our fellow citizens to open their eyes. It's hard to believe so many vote against their own interests because they hate so many and fear so much. This won't end well.
  • larryB, thanks for summarizing this mess perfectly.

Lobbying and various unreported/disguised "contributions" are probably the biggest issues facing our political system. Corruption runs rampant, and only the wealthy will flourish. The system is failing us, but a majority of US citizens refuse to acknowledge this reality.

The 35% that are glued to Fox News will never admit that electing "45" was a mistake, no matter what carnage he inflicts on all our lives. With so many blind sheep, its no wonder Congress thinks they can pull the wool over our eyes.
  • edited December 2017
    JoeD said:

The 35% that are glued to Fox News ... With so many blind sheep ...

It’s called “wedge issues”. It’s been very effective for quite a while now.

Clarification: That should not be confused with the colloquial “wedgie“ - though some may see some semblance.
  • Right

But as the wapo piece and so many others make clear, it is overwhelmingly reactionary resentment at condescension (real or perceived, doesn't matter) and the like.

An awful lot of it is racial fear mixed in; this is fully demonstrated.

Reason-based eye-opening does not often happen in such situations. It is odd that good ol' American grit and gumption and 'So get up and go do something about and for your situation' do not work here.

And what is wilder is that widescale polling about abortion and gun control and social service programs and foreign policy and taxation and all sorts of things shows broad concurrence, in general, across the so-called liberal-conservative spectrums.
  • From the WaPo piece linked above:

"It does not matter that he is eroding the nation’s democratic institutions. That this combat is dangerous, hypocritical, built on lies. That you, after all, are innocent. His supporters are convinced that you are to blame. Until you can convince them otherwise, they will cheer him on. The name of the game is polarization, and the rookie mistake is to forget you are the enemy."
  • +1
    tnx
    So what to do?
  • Register people to vote in swing districts, make sure they have the right ID and help them get to the polls. Half the problem is getting people to vote. The other problem is gerrymandering and the fact we don't actually live in a pure democracy. People need to remember that it wasn't a popular vote that caused this. Two of the last three presidents didn't win the popular vote, no matter what the current one claims. So how can we say we have a populist president who didn't actually win the popular vote? The subtext of that populist myth is that country folk matter more than city folk, that they're the "average American" or worse, the "real Americans" when every American is. But from a purely political sense in our system country folk do matter more because their votes literally count more: https://vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/7/12315574/electoral-college-explained-presidential-elections-2016
  • edited December 2017

+1
    tnx
    So what to do?

Per the author: "Showing concern is the only way to break the rhetorical polarization."

"Finally, there is indeed a place for your legitimate moral outrage: not the dining table, but the voting booth. Just ask Alabama Democrats."

Per me: Assassination may be our only hope, as nothing sticks to this guy. Pence is not the ideal replacement, but I cannot imagine another 3 years with a POTUS who lives only to tweet, lie, bully and tear apart social safety nets.

Well, after they butcher SS and Medicare in 2018, it will be too late. Then our IRAs will be the targeted next. Not sure where that will leave us. "MAGA".

• @LB1,
    regardless, we for sure do not want a 'pure democracy' without compulsory voting, and maybe not ever. You have read enough civics text to know that, I bet.
  • https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1329260478l/652112.jpg
    A look at the expression on my face will give you the quintessential image of despair.
  • Howdy folks,

Whilst the state of affairs in DC is worse than appalling, YOU people give me hope. Not that I was ever worried about where you stood on this madness, but it's nice for me to read your most eloquent descriptions of this insanity.

BTW, I'm sticking with the 'small hands = small endowment' ==> constantly having to prove that he's a man. Sorry, but there can be no other possible explanation for the constant braggadocio. (I'm guessing 4" or less)

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • Oh, as always, it goes deeper and simpler, to his parents and early experience of ruthlessness, what it means to show authentic feeling, and what happened when you did; what that modeling was, what the maternal experience was, all bundled w excess privilege and money, absence of respect or altruistic modeling, yada yada. Small-dick feeling is almost the least of it. Should run a couple clips of Talladega Nights boys here :) .
  • edited December 2017

Oh, as always, it goes deeper and simpler, to his parents and early experience of ruthlessness, what it means to show authentic feeling, and what happened when you did; what that modeling was, what the maternal experience was, all bundled w excess privilege and money, absence of respect or altruistic modeling, yada yada. Small-dick feeling is almost the least of it. Should run a couple clips of Talladega Nights boys here :) .

Geez, Dr. Phil, et al.

I could sum it up in a single word based on various species of humans encountered in my 70+ years.
    But won’t go there in a public forum.

Twain: “... for the reason that I have known him before--met him on the river.”
  • So trump's issues are mainly related to...."overcompensation" due to physical shortcomings and a poor upbringing (i.e. spoiled, entitled rich kid)?

So far, the GOP has used him as a means to an end. The rich got richer with these tax cuts, but the related $1.5T of additional deficit will be "filled" by cuts to SS and Medicare (so, hit up the lower and middle class once again).

This prez has been played to perfection by some crafty rich men (see Putin).
  • @JoeD- No need to go all of the way to Russia... plenty happening right here at home.

It has been well documented, and there is absolutely no doubt, that the most significant amount of money invested in Donald Trump's election was provided by various organizations funded in large part by men such as the Koch brothers. These men and their operatives invested early and heavily to elect someone who was not too bright, was both avaricious and without conscience, and who could be easily controlled.

The current tax bill is nothing more than payoff time for these oligarchs. Andy J is correct: we were "plenty oligarchical" before; but now it's open in-your-face corruption starting at the presidential level and working right on down. We have indeed graduated from Little League to the Majors. And Mr. Trump is sitting there being manipulated exactly like the ignorant fatuous marionette that he is.

(The above commentary is a partial re-post of comments previously made in the "sen corker benefits and the passthrough ripoff" thread.)
  • Not physical shortcomings and not only spoiled upbringing. Lots of us have those things, and more. The modeled efficacy of brutality coupled with helpless rage and perverse rewards / disincentives, plus innate temperament of course, those are special in this combo that includes wealth and power and privilege; I mean you can read all about it in his several bios, most of whose authors (collaborators) were or became aghast. An unusual guy. But hardly unique in the history of the world. Just our luck at the moment. We will survive. Study up narcissistic sociopathic development if really curious. Crippling resentments. Again, not uncommon, though. Low imaginativeness in behalf of others. Infantile lack of impulse control. Blah blah.
  • "Just our luck at the moment."

@davidrmoran- Wasn't luck. He is the product of a well-planned, carefully orchestrated, and heavily financed conspiracy.
  • edited December 2017
    @OJ, nah, all those rightwingnuts w power and means and opportunity are appalled at this pathetic, clever guy. The Kochs and most of the others. Now, you sure would be right to say they are not by any means overlooking such a golden opportunity to loot plutocratically, others to roll back the New Deal, or globalization, or nonwhite immigration, or women's rights, and all the rest of progressivism in general, including the courts. Ultimately it will fail, but the golden moment of propulsion due to widespread resentment has made a powerful force with real momentum.
    You do know L B J's early quote: "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."
    And now the resentment is also channeled upward, toward the academy, experts, scientists, and the rest.
  • edited December 2017
    Old_Joe said, “The current tax bill is nothing more than payoff time for these oligarchs.”

That’s one valid view. I tend to look at it a bit different. I’d call Trump’s support of the tax bill a payment (or bribe) handed to Ryan, O’Connell and their supporters in return for their tacit support of him. Must be tough to stomach, but money talks and B* walks - so they’e all singing his praises now - even to the point of trying to thwart the Special Counsel‘s work. Do bear in mind that he has no true allegiance to anyone.

Just a different perspective. I think we’re pretty much on the same page.