Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

When Your Party Loses, Cheat

2»

Comments

• Look what I just found!

«Имеются существенные F Donald Trump, We must stop him at all costs. данные, свидетельствующие о том, Fusion GPS что г-н Стил материально ввел в заблуждение ФБР о ключевом аспекте своих усилий досье, который имеет на него доверие», - говорится в give $5,000,000.00 to Bill Clinton, неправомочном документе, который ссылается на Стил для уголовного преследования в США.

Стилу, Obama has OK'd this, выплатили 168 000 For Fake Dossier долларов оппозиционной исследовательской фирме Fusion GPS, которая частично финансировалась Хиллари Клинтон и DNC, которые использовали юридическую фирму Perkins Coie в качестве посредника.

Well, that should do it. Have a nice weekend Komrad.
  • Вот где, возможно, Give the dossier to Moran, he will believe anything. пришел Blumenthal и компания, о которой я писал здесь. Какой беспорядок. Кроме того, говоря о нераскрытии соответствующей информации судам, похоже, что Нюнес был технически некорректен, что судьям не было известно, что досье Стил
  • I have wondered about Russky bots here, actually. But this forum is way too small beer, I would think.

@bartab, not knowing what 'tinfoil hats' actually means shows you don't even know the memes or proper usage thereof, too funny --- that is what makes you sound sometimes like Russian botspeak.

@Maurice, 'MFO echo chamber' is truly inspired in being off the mark.

@Anna, there is literature on fair ways to draw voting districts.
  • I hope Michelle or operah runs for next pres and vp election... 1000%she wins lol
  • @Davidrmoran Great and revealing article on this subject regarding Zerohedge Blog here:
    https://newyorker.com/news/benjamin-wallace-wells/is-the-alt-right-for-real

• No party is going to meaningfully change the system that puts it into power.

Ergo, the courts step in at times, hopefully to help even things out a bit.
  • rforno is correct. And so, my hope is that one party or another finds its sense of purpose in embracing and including, rather that excluding and rejecting. For anyone with eyes to see, it's crystal clear that it would take an utter, complete metamorphosis for the Repugnant Party to accomplish this. It would be a good and overdue development to have VIABLE 3rd, 4th and 12th parties in elections. The current 2 parties in power have an implicit agreement not to let anyone else into the game. Look what happened to Bernie, eh?
  • About those 3rd party candidates:
    https://www.thoughtco.com/most-successful-independent-presidential-candidates-3367561

I believe that an extremely popular individual (Michelle) could step in as a 3rd party candidate and win but it would end after her 8 years unless another equally or more popular candidate was found. Either way they would still need to grapple with the agendas of the 2 major party's in order to get anything done. Oh wait, we already do that. Nevermind.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • name a crime, maurice
  • In my opinion, many of the ills of gerrymandering and voting straight party line just to get reelected could be stifled with term limits. Stop this possiblity of being a financially lucrative "career" and bring it back to serving people would go a long way to stop the polarization this country is in.
  • Sounds good on paper, but I always wonder about longterm expertise and policy memory, since so many newcomers are inexperienced (even when not rabblerousers) ...
    I suppose continuity of staffing could address some of that, ha.
  • Civics and political theory classes should be mandatory in high school, election day should be on the weekend, preferably two days, Saturday and Sunday, and citizens should receive a tax credit for voting. Ban gerrymandering, get rid of private political contributions and political attack ads, make debates frequent and on a public station funded by tax payers. Get rid of the electoral college and repeal the Reapportionment Act of 1929 capping the number of representatives at 435. Read this to understand how even the House isn't representative anymore:
    https://qz.com/865380/to-fix-the-electoral-college-increase-the-size-of-the-house-of-representatives/
    But hey, none of these things will ever happen here.
  • edited February 2018
    MikeM said:

In my opinion, many of the ills of gerrymandering and voting straight party line just to get reelected could be stifled with term limits. Stop this possiblity of being a financially lucrative "career" and bring it back to serving people would go a long way to stop the polarization this country is in.

Are you serious @MikeM?

We have term limits in Michigan. IMHO, one of the worst things that ever happened. We basically elect short-term “hacks” who don’t give a damn for the public interest. They’re there for a short / limited period of time to serve whatever narrow interest they represent (usually to cut taxes and gut programs). No need to face the consequences of their votes in a few years. They don’t worry about being voted out of office or developing working relationships with other legislators. In short, they’re not responsible to the electorate because they know they won’t be returning. Name me any other job where one’s performance doesn’t improve with on the job experience? Not where I worked and I’ll bet not where you worked either!

Regards
  • "Name me any other job where one’s performance doesn’t improve with on the job experience? Not where I worked and I’ll bet not where you worked either!"

@hank: 10-4 on that!
  • Note LSE Brian Klaas quotes midway through this nauseous judicial and legal litany:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/11/opinion/trump-republican-realignment.html

“Gerrymandering, in a word, is why American democracy is broken. While no party is innocent when it comes to gerrymandering, a Washington Post analysis in 2014 found that eight of the ten most gerrymandered districts in the United States were drawn by Republicans.”
  • @Maurice: Make sure not to read that because it doesn't comport with your beliefs and is therefore "fake news", lies, and deceit.
  • edited February 2018
    That's from 2012. And the reasons given to defend the electoral college are a real "stretch." It MAYBE made sense in the old days --- particularly pre-Civil War era--- when States did indeed cling to a sense of their own sovereignty, more so than today. States Rights is in the past. States today are utterly dependent upon Washington. Granted, the elections are operated State by State. But when I drive the 5 minutes between where I live in Massachusetts across the border into Connecticut, the only change is that Connecticut actually paves its roads.