Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How to Find Out If Your Facebook Data Was Stolen by Cambridge Analytica

Comments

• @Lewis: Old farts like myself don't use Facebook!
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice: Thanks for the info, it's my understanding that my premium internal security system "Zone Alarm" from Checkpoint Systems Technology prevents what you described from happening.
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • Well, the original post might mean something to me if I could still get into my FB account. But I can't, and I'm getting along nicely without it. Pus-brains.
  • edited April 2018
    Maurice said:

Actually @Ted you never know. A few days ago, I updated my Firefox browser. My browser's default is to delete cookies, history, passwords, etc. when I close Firefox. However this afternoon, I checked and Mozilla put a persistent Google cookie in my browser. I've seen this before, but I forgot to check after updating. So a guy like yourself who never deletes passwords or anything else, because you absolutely hate to enter passwords, is likely to find that Facebook put a persistent tracking cookie on your PC from anyone of the thousands of websites you have visited in past. It is likely that Facebook has an interesting dossier on the Linkster. You don't use Facebook, but baby, they are using you!

I use "Wisecare365" to clear history, websites visited, etc, but don't like to enter passwords constantly, and I, too, am using Firefox. The more muscular "CCleaner" is the one I use less often. How can you find out if frikkin' Mozilla inserted that Google cookie, or anything else? That REALLY sucks!
  • @Ted- Old farts like us should use Buttbook!
  • @catch22- And here I thought that I had invented something! Oh well...
  • @Old_Joe Agree..............I was very surprised. As old as we are, one would think there is something we know or can invent that has not yet found a place on the globe.

Pillow time for this person in the EST zone.....awake early tomorrow.
  • edited April 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • tnx, you should be a tech writer
  • edited April 2018
    OK, this should work for Firefox on the Mac:

• Top left of screen, next to the "Apple: Click on "Firefox", move cursor down to "Preferences".
    • This should cause a new tab, labelled "Preferences", to open.
    • Open that tab and select "Privacy". That will bring up the "History" section, which includes cookie settings.
    • If you are accepting cookies for some sites, I recommend that you select "Accept Third-Party cookies" NEVER.
    • To the right in this section is a box titled "Show Cookies": select that box.
    • A new window appears, with all of the cookies grouped into folders, arranged alphabetically.
    • You can delete any folder in the list, or any cookie within a folder.
    • You can also "Remove All", but be aware that if you use your browser to access sites which require cookies (MFO and virtually all mutual fund and financial sites, for instance), you will then be well and truly screwed.
    • I recommend that you check your cookies at least weekly, and delete any folders that you don't need.
  • @Maurice Thanks. You made it easy to follow. NOTHING SHOULD BE SO DIFFICULT TO SIMPLY GET RID OF!!! And I know about Adobe Flash. It stinks. I hate hate hate hate HATE those self-starting videos. But because sometimes I want to see something, I keep it active. Pain in the ass to go in and selectively turn shit on and off.
  • @davidmoran: I was: part of self-assigned collateral duties as radio/electronics tech for SF 911/Public Safety.
  • @Maurice and @Crash: Thanks to the second amendment you are allowed to own and use a handgun at your discretion: why not just shoot the browser screen?
  • edited April 2018
  • @Maurice: I can out-ancient you with one hand tied behind my back. All but one of my computers are circa 2005, because that's about when Apple abandoned the IBM/Motorola processors and went to Intel. I still run at least three major applications that cannot run on any "Intel Inside" computer.

With respect to freedom of press and speech, I have to concede that the present administration is all for them, just as long as no actual facts are involved.
  • @OJ, I meant Maurice
  • Yes, I know. He did good.
  • edited April 2018
    Heard a of the hearings and testimony by ? - “What’s his name?”

A real eye-opener listening to Roger McNamee on Bloomberg TV yesterday April 12. Here’s a link. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2018-04-12/-bloomberg-technology-full-show-4-12-2018-video. I’ve been using Google for search. I know @OldJoe has long recommended “Duck Go” which I believe works in conjunction with the “Ghostry” app. That seems to be what MacNamee recommends and uses.

So I installed Ghostry today. It immediately revealed 4 trackers following me - 2 of which were from “Facebook.” Now - Since I’ve never joined or used “Facebook” - and refuse to - How did Facebook get into my tablet device? How were they able to track me without my consent? Do they perhaps affix themselves (through cookies) to emails sent by other folks who use them?

Even scarier, might Facebook have raided my device’s information and sold it to Cambridge Analytics? Yikes! I’ll follow Old Joe’s and MacNamee’s advice and rely on Ghostry to screen my internet contacts going forward. If the invasion of privacy is as rampant as it now seems, I think we need laws to protect unsuspecting users.

PS Edit: “Facebook” continues to attempt to track me and I continue to block them. Very sticky outfit.

• edited April 2018
  • @Maurice- I believe that you're correct on all counts.
  • edited April 2018
    Just a quick added comment. After knocking-off the several tracking apps that’ve been following me around on the web, my download speed jumped like from 35 mph to 75mph. An amazing difference in performance! Ironic - but I suppose since I pay for monthly service by the GB, I’ve actually been paying “extra” for Facebook and the rest to follow me around. Thanks Old Joe and Maurice for the added information.
  • What does F***book collect? You should have given your name and email address. not like everyone else does not have it. If you gave your address and phone number, then you have other problems and F***book is least of your issues.

now if you gave F***book your d*** picks and are worried Putin comparing notes with Trump, that might need some discussion.