Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

10 States With The Highest And Lowest Tax Burdens

2»

Comments

• Thank you, sir.
  • I sure hope you are heading to somewhere with reliable water in the future
  • edited April 2018
    "Burden? A loaded headline for sure. I consider paying taxes a privilege as long as (1) there’s some fairness & proportionality that takes into consideration the ability of various citizens to contribute, (2) the money is spent wisely as I would do with my own and (3) the taxes go towards the public good. And I’ll admit that on the second score that’s not always the case."

@hank: Thank you sir- well and truly said. The freeloaders like Maurice love the services but see absolutely no responsibility to help pay for them. Community? Public good? Only for suckers. Put enough people like that together in one state and you can call it Mississippi. In addition to the tooth fairy they also believe in the school fairy, the road fairy, and the library fairy. One-hundred and twenty rural bridges just closed because of lack of maintenance? Let's hope for the bridge fairy too. But no taxes!

• @Old_Joe, don't mince words. What do you really mean... ;););)
  • @MikeM- Well, not every man in SF minces, you know... :)
  • We live in Oregon which is a high income tax state. Yes we pay high income tax and property tax, but we get a lot in return from the state. Outdoor activities (miles of beautiful beaches) and public events at the universities are readily available at low cost. We come to appreciate as our family grew.
  • Sven said:

We live in Oregon which is a high income tax state. Yes we pay high income tax and property tax, but we get a lot in return from the state. Outdoor activities (miles of beautiful beaches) and public events at the universities are readily available at low cost. We come to appreciate as our family grew.

Oregon's on my short list of terrific places, whether west or east of the mountains.
  • @Crash,
    Don't forget Washington which is a equally good state for raising a family. Often we get many California retirees migrating north as the cost of living of CA is getting too much for them.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sven said:

@Crash,
    Don't forget Washington which is a equally good state for raising a family. Often we get many California retirees migrating north as the cost of living of CA is getting too much for them.

True, that! I'm a Gonzaga Univ. product!
  • Maurice, put some money on that, if you are serious.
  • @davidrmoran- That's absolutely frightening. I don't know the specifics of the population density, dispersion or existing transportation issues in Nashville, but I can surely testify that without a good public transit network the SF Bay Area would be nothing but a bunch of unworkably fragmented islands.

There was recent news coverage of rural bridge closings in Mississippi due to lack of maintenance because no tax money was available. Maybe in fifteen years Nashville will be heading in the same direction.

I especially like the position of Rev. Jeff Obafemi who said "If everyone’s going to pay for it, everyone needs to benefit”. What a great attitude. Lets just apply that right across the board to everything and be done with civilization.
  • I got mine! screw you and yours. I don't have kids in school, so why the hell should I etc etc etc