Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Empathy

Your future Nobel Prize winner's mouthpiece:

Comments

• Lewis: Have you forgotten, this is a mutual fund sight !
    Regards,
    Ted:(
  • edited June 2018
    @Ted Where are your comments in the same vein about the numerous posts below this one, including some of your own, that have nothing to do with funds but agree with your right-of -Attila-the-Hun politics?
  • edited June 2018
    @LewisBraham- Ted is under the illusion that he sets the rules. It's mostly the harmless muttering of a bitter old man. Be charitable.
  • edited June 2018
    Old_Joe said:

“... the harmless muttering of a bitter old man.”

That’s me after watching this video. (But nice line OJ)

• Well, other than SECDEF Mattis, there seems to be zero empathy in the seniormost levels of the Executive Branch these days.
  • msf
    edited June 2018
    There is such legal irony in invoking the bible to justify enforcing the law.

For many centuries, in parallel with courts of law there have been courts of equity to address inequities in the law. Who ran these courts of equity? Why the Church, of course.
    https://patch.com/florida/templeterrace/court-of-law-vs-court-of-equity-why-it-matters-to-you-9

"I would not give you false hope on this strange and mournful day, but the mother and child reunion is only a motion away."

AP, June 7: Judge lets ACLU lawsuit challenging family separation go forward
  • In viewing once again the debates between Trump and Clinton, in her admonitions and warnings about Trump, she was right...about...everything.
  • Totally immoral, this lady and this administration. Hard to watch, though I'm sure for this lady it is all about continuing to get her paycheck - blame Democrats, yeah! Sometimes you just have to stop and say what in my mind is right and wrong. She can't do it.
  • edited June 2018
    @MikeM - I don’t know what it’s “all about” to her. (She’s not the sharpest blade in the shed.)

Question for all: If we are no better than them, than who in f*** are we?
  • Every living first lady has condemned border separations:

• Melania Trump
    • Laura Bush
    • Hillary Clinton
    • Michelle Obama
    • Rosalynn Carter

"Every living first lady — including Melania Trump — has condemned the policy of separating immigrant families caught illegally crossing the U.S.-Mexico border. It is a rare moment of bipartisan unity from the women who make up the small sorority of presidential spouses."

A Non-Fake news article from The Washington Post

• edited June 2018
    Where are the evangelicals and their millstones?
    2Jesus called a little child to stand among them. 3“Truly I tell you,” He said, “unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5And whoever welcomes a little child like this in My name welcomes Me.

6But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.
  • @OJ,

>> A Non-Fake news article from The Washington Post

How dare you post that. The 3-4-5 new wingnuts will set you straight.
  • Old_Joe said:

Every living first lady has condemned border separations:

• Melania Trump
    • Laura Bush
    • Hillary Clinton
    • Michelle Obama
    • Rosalynn Carter

"Every living first lady — including Melania Trump — has condemned the policy of separating immigrant families caught illegally crossing the U.S.-Mexico border. It is a rare moment of bipartisan unity from the women who make up the small sorority of presidential spouses."

A Non-Fake news article from The Washington Post

Perhaps not fake, yet not 100% precise. Melania never said a word; only her spokeswoman did, in Melania's name. Notice that while the other women are quoted, Melania is not. (FWIW, I found Ms. Bush's op-ed piece rightfully jarring.)

Notice also that the Post put this article on the Style page, what used to be called the "Women's page."
    https://archives.cjr.org/behind_the_news/womens_page_to_style_section.php

Where's anything but "discomfort" from those who have the power to do something?

USA Today: No Republicans support Senate bill that would stop child separations at border
    Every Senate Democrat is now a co-sponsor of the legislation which would prohibit children from being separated from their parents within 100 miles of the U.S. border except for instances of abuse, neglect or other specific circumstances. ...

The bill has no support from Senate Republicans, despite some saying they are uncomfortable with what is currently taking place at the border.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/06/18/all-senate-democrats-now-support-bill-would-prohibit-border-separations/710803002/

• Where are the evangelicals and their millstones?
    2Jesus called a little child to stand among them. 3“Truly I tell you,” He said, “unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5And whoever welcomes a little child like this in My name welcomes Me.

6But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

100% agreed. It sickens me to know that 80% of white evangelical "Christians" voted for the Trumpster. So what is their REAL religion?
    ---I write these words as a retired Presbyterian Minister. And Trump claims to be Presbyterian. He is a self-absorbed pathological liar without a conscience.
  • What's jarring? Assuming this is what you meant:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/laura-bush-separating-children-from-their-parents-at-the-border-breaks-my-heart/2018/06/17/f2df517a-7287-11e8-9780-b1dd6a09b549_story.html

not the strong argument, in my read, emotional appeal only, but what is 'rightfully jarring'?

Presumably whether FLotUS speaks directly or indirectly depends at least in part on touchiness. Did not discern a pattern from quick checking.
  • What's jarring? Assuming this is what you meant:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/laura-bush-separating-children-from-their-parents-at-the-border-breaks-my-heart/2018/06/17/f2df517a-7287-11e8-9780-b1dd6a09b549_story.html

not the strong argument, in my read, emotional appeal only, but what is 'rightfully jarring'?

The analogy to WWII internment camps.

If you're reaction is along the lines that at least there, families were kept together, then you're missing Ms. Bush's point. Racist, cruel, immoral, harmful, or as she put it, shameful.
    http://time.com/5314955/separation-families-japanese-internment-camps/

• edited June 2018
    Melania's statement continued her husband's tradition of invoking "both sider-ism", fwiw saying.

A few prominent evangelicals - Grahm and some others, plus some Catholic bishops - have publicly condemned this practice. However, they are taking great care to separate this from their other views on 'family' and 'pro-life' so as not to tarnish their lobbying efforts on those issues which allegedly mean so much to them.

And just because the Nazi reference was made, Sessions just had to open his mouth and insert both feet in the name of responding to those references -- to which I am utterly speechless over. 'Sessions responds to Nazi comparisons: 'They were keeping the Jews from leaving'' [1]

[1] http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/392923-sessions-real-exaggeration-to-compare-family-separation-to

I should add if the heart-wrenching Propublica audio (of the children wailing for their parents, and the ICE agent mocking them) isn't used in every Democratic or Independent campaign ad starting now, they truly are idiots when it comes to political messaging on a very easy target issue.

This is not what America stands for.
    However, when you have ignorant, spiteful, arrogant idiotic bullies in charge, and fearful, cowering, & complicit enablers as the alleged check-and-balance in Congress, this is what you get. Less democracy, more autocracy. But it's all okay, because .... ummm, remind me why, again?
  • @msf,
    No, that wasn't my reaction. My take on 'jarring' was not yours. Of course it's as she put it.
  • edited June 2018
    matters like these should be discussed in yahoo or foxnews commentary sections, not on MFO imho... this topic does not have anything to do w/ stocks funds etfs nor markets insights
  • edited June 2018
    @JohnN I’ll believe you when you post the same remark under the threads on “racism” at Harvard, sugar being the real problem with American healthcare not a lack of adequate health insurance, the “dumbing down” of American education, cebrations of our military and D-Day etc.? There was even a thread entitled "Trump Deserves a Nobel Peace Prize" in which you wrote:
    Thought this was better for whole world (Japan Korean China s. Asian countries)... This was much better than then when we have to worry every day about nuke missiles landing in Honolulu Hawaii or Japan.. Wonder how Obama also got noble peace by less substative accomplishments.... No president ever engaged in 1-1 discussions w dictatorships before
    https://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/comment/102414/#Comment_102414

Where were your comments about the thread not belonging on a fund board then? All such non-fund related threads can be found on this discussion board. Are you posting the same remarks under them? Be consistent at least.
  • Classic. Right out of the right-wing playbook: they can introduce any subject they want, but they immediately try for censorship if anyone else does the same.

They can deliberately provoke a situation by providing information of dubious authenticity, but as soon as any sort of significant response is encountered one of two things happens:

1) They claim that the actual facts of the matter are "fake".

2) When faced with overwhelming evidence that their positions are insupportable, they simply fail to respond, and skulk away into the darkness.
  • edited June 2018

In other words, they can dish it out but are unable to take it in -- so they play the role of victim upon the mere whiff of pushback to their claims/views, even when civily presented. Just look at Tweety Amin -- the Bully in Chief can't stand *anyone* saying *anything* even remotely bad about him ... and when they do, he just has to lash out in public, often repeatedly, to prove in his mind that he's "strong". So pathetic....
    Old_Joe said:

Classic. Right out of the right-wing playbook: they can introduce any subject they want, but they immediately try for censorship if anyone else does the same.

They can deliberately provoke a situation by providing information of dubious authenticity, but as soon as any sort of significant response is encountered one of two things happens:

1) They claim that the actual facts of the matter are "fake".

2) When faced with overwhelming evidence that their positions are insupportable, they simply fail to respond, and skulk away into the darkness.

• "they play the role of victim upon the mere whiff of pushback to their claims/views, even when civilly presented."

@rforno- You've nailed it. Exactly why I've withdrawn from any commentary directly with Maurice. To respond civilly and factually requires a fair amount of time and effort, and he no longer merits that.
  • 'The Faked Outrage of Internet Manbabies', as one headline put it
  • My grandchildren are two and five years old. When I look at them, there is no place in the world, real or on line, that is sacred enough or off limits that I won't shout against the brutal treatment of babies and small children. And I would not offer mulligans to anyone inflicting such depraved and vile treatment.
  • edited June 2018
    @JohnN,

Hi John,

It’s a complicated subject. I suspect you and I are so far apart in a lot of ways - but particularly politically - that “never the twain shall meet.”

First, I want to commend you for some of your recent investment related posts. Many look intriguing and probably deserve more discussion than they received. Thank you. I’ll try to pick up on a few when i have the time. https://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/profile/discussions/67/johnN

Second, I understand like everyone else that this is primarily a financial discussion board. I, like many here, am pretty much on auto pilot with my portfolio. It doesn’t require daily tweaking or major new fund purchases. Fortunately, David allows a broader range of financial discussion than just particular funds and I very much enjoy interacting with board members on those financial topics.

Third, it’s normal for all of us to test limits in just about any human endeavor (if we didn’t, everybody would be driving the speed limit all the time). So, while I realize some topics may seem a bit out in “left field” to you (no pun intended), I’ll continue to participate in those OT discussions as long as they are permitted.

Fourth, it’s impossible to draw a sharp line between a topic that may seem “political” and another that is clearly “financial.” There’s a gray area. Like it or not, our nation’s treatment of Hispanics or Mexico does have financial repercussions. In particular there’s the impact on labor markets (think California farms). Also, there’s the fact that the human resources and money needed to carry out this “enforcement” activity might better be spent on productive activities like building out infrastructure or educating children. Than there’s the impact on how we are perceived and treated by other nations around the world. Think about the U.S. tourism industry. This can’t be positive advertisement for those thinking of visiting the U.S. Think of trade treaty negotiations. And consider the impact on U.S. exports. Who will buy American autos or other goods abroad if our reputation is disgraced? So there are financial aspects to this - and they’re generally not good for the U.S.

Fifth, some of us feel so deeply about this particular issue, that we’re willing to put aside our short term concerns about money and focus on what we view as a tragic humanitarian situation. That’s why the topic is being discussed here and why four former or current First Ladies have also weighed in on the issue.

I’ll close with the words of Edmund Burke: The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.