Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Way OT - You can still buy a new car without AC (in Canada)

edited July 2018 in Off-Topic
Funny how quickly those items we once viewed as “extras” on our new cars become essentials.
http://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20180705/new-cars-that-don-t-come-with-air-conditioning-standard/

My first new car, a ‘70 Plymouth Fury purchased off a dealer’s lot in Michigan, stickered for around $3200 and sold in late ‘70 for $2800. That’s an unheard of price today. But it had very few extras. AT yes, PS yes. PB no, PW no, carpeting no. And the entire “info-entertainment system” consisted of an AM radio.:)

Comments

• Ork? Abbreviations?
  • edited July 2018
    AT automatic transmission
    PS power steering
    PB power brakes
    PW power windows
  • edited July 2018
    Excellent, @hank

As to the AC-less vehicles. I won't check but wonder whether these cars with AC are still belt driven or all electric; as is the case for power steering. Hell, some of those small engines need all the horse power help possible for moving the vehicle with 4 folks, let alone driven an AC belt, too.
    Ya got a young'in "Orking" those ancient terms related to an auto.

I'm think'in others real quick.......power-glide, hydra-matic, torque-flight (especially with the in dash buttons). Holley/Rochester single or double or four barrel and by 1970 dual quads and tri-power had already been in place in factory autos.

I wander late at night.
    From one who build a Chevy small block from scratch in the parents basement, bolted a chain across the cylinder heads and with 3 friends, a 4 x 4, carried outside and lifted/lowered into place on the engine mounts in a '55 Chevy...............

Good night to my old days.
    Catch
  • Grandad had an old Dodge with the pushbuttons on the dash to switch gears. Those did not last long. Cheapest gas I remember was .19 cents/gallon. Today, north of the border, it's close to $6 CAD. Just absurd.
  • TedTed
    edited July 2018
    @MFO Members: Best left to Twitter, Road & Track, Car & Driver !
    Regards,
    Ted
    :(
    :
  • @ted. With all due respect,,, you should NEVER,EVER, comment on some other dudes choice of topics. You, the self styled linkster have started literally thousands of threads that were totally ignored. At least a few folks cared enough about this topic to respond.

• @larryB- You are absolutely right, but I'm afraid that your suggestions are falling on deliberately deaf ears. Ted imagines himself to be a major functionary of MFO, and that's just the way it is.