Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

RPSIX TRP "Spectrum" ?

RPSIX. Since I'm pretty well married to T Rowe, it looks like one of the best among a less than fabulous menu of bond funds. Even holds about 10% equities. Monthly divs which look at least a little better than my PRSNX--- which I will keep, and grow. My only other (Trad.) IRA bond fund is TRP HY, TUHYX. Junk bonds are not where I'd prefer to be, but I'm not betting the farm on it. Is RPSIX worth throwing money into it? I've been window-shopping up and down that T Rowe bond lineup more than a few times...

Comments

• edited October 2018
    Crash said:

RPSIX. Since I'm pretty well married to T Rowe, it looks like one of the best among a less than fabulous menu of bond funds. Is RPSIX worth throwing money into it? I've been window-shopping up and down that T Rowe bond lineup more than a few times...

NO. I wouldn’t “throw money at it” @Crash.

It is what it is - a conglomeration of many different types of income producing funds - ranging in quality from government bonds to junk and EM. I’d say it’s a good long-term repository for funds on which you want to earn better than money market rates - and don’t have any other use for.

You likely won’t find it rated very high at M* and the others. But I don’t know how you can put the fund into any “category”. It’s unique to T. Rowe - dependent on the success of the roughly 15 different T. Rowe Price funds that comprise it. I’ve always held it. It represents about 15% of my overall allocation. But unlike some, I do not consider it a substitute for cash or short term-bonds.

As you mention, the exposure to PRFDX makes it somewhat vulnerable to equity moves. They can allocate up to 25% to that fund. But 15% is the highest I can remember. RPSIX is having an uncharacteristically poor year. I don’t expect that to persist into the future (but could be wrong). Over the longer term I’d expect the fund to average maybe 2-4% above what a money market fund will net - with decent downside protection against an equity sell off. Bond risk? Because it’s so widely diversified it shouldn’t be as susceptible to a hit from rising rates as many other types of bond funds - Just MHO.

Yes, I’ll agree with you that bonds are not Price’s strong point. There’s better bond managers. On the other hand, they do understand allocation strategies very well (but are often too early in their calls).

@Crash - The fund report (available on their website) will have a chart (near the back) showing both the “target” and “current” percentages to all the funds it holds. If you don’t care for most of those funds, you shouldn’t buy RPSIX.
  • @hank I'm up late, too. Appreciate your thoughts. A fund of funds just really is not my cup of meat, but wanted to hear some trusted opinions. You see, I really don't want to throw all my bond eggs into just three baskets. I've also considered PTRMX at Perf. Trust out of Chicago.

• It's presently 3 stars at M*, if anyone was wondering .... or cares about such ratings.
  • edited October 2018
    Hi @Crash: One of the things that I favor about RPSIX is that it is a fund of funds. With this the fund manager(s) can jockey its holdings based upon their read on the markets thus making it adpative to the every changing market conditions. I've got a few of this type of hybrid funds myself and I hold them becasue they can easily be throttled by their managers adjusting to the ever changing market conditions just by changing the mix of funds along with the amounts of each held.

Just for giggles, I checked it aginst the members of my hybird income sleeve and it was a bottom performer compaired to the other funds in this sleeve. It carries a M* rating of three stars while members of my hybrid income sleeve are all four or five star funds. I know of some folks at my church that own this fund and favor it because of its market adapitability for reasons stated above. It does seem to come up a little short on the performance side when compaired to some other hybrid income type funds.

Good luck with your fund selection.

Old_Skeet

• edited October 2018
    @rforno and @old_skeet... Thanks for stopping by. That muni fund I mentioned, PTRMX is another I've been window-shopping at, and I suppose RPSIX is one I'll just ;pass by. But the M* risk/reward profile pegs it at a HIGH RISK rating relative to peers. Otherwise, I like what I see. What think ye? One advantage is that I already own PTIAX, from the same shop.

• I don't dabble much in munis so I really can't offer much insight. That said on some of the muni funds I do look at, I consider things like duration, how much general obligation they have (lesser is better imo) and which sectors they are mostly filled with (health, transportation are better imo) along with any other outliers that might steer me away -- ie, why would a "single state muni fund", say Virginia, hold Puerto Rico bonds?

PRTAX and PRVAX are attractive to me, if I was looking at muni bonds. Or at least they were, a year or so ago when I did some basic research on them.

• It used to be that GO bonds were considered superior, because they had high priority and were backed by the power to tax. In contrast, revenue bonds depend on the success of whatever they're funding. These days, with some municipalities and states in trouble, it seems that being backed by a dedicated revenue stream may be a safer bet.

Here's an Investment News column about that (also linked to by a bullpen post):
    https://www.google.com/search?q=The+Case+For+Favoring+Revenue+Bonds+Over+General+Obligation+Bonds&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

It mentions essential service revenue bonds. These are generally safer than other revenue bonds because they're backed by revenue from services that are, well, essential. But even here, one should look at what that municipal service provider is doing. If it is expanding (e.g. building water pipes into tracts of land that builders plan to develop), it pays to check into how likely the anticipated new revenue is to materialize.
  • edited October 2018
    I’m intrigued myself about the fund’s lackluster performance. But like I said earlier, it’s a hard one to classify. Even Lipper (where I normally look) has it scored 3 (out of 5. Over 5 years it hasn’t even beaten their ultra-short (TRBUX) by a full two points. Go figure.

Exposure to PRFDX (Equity Income Fund) seems to have helped in recent years, so rule that one out as the detractor. All I can think is it might be tilted heavier towards high quality (read “rate-sensitive”) bonds than I had assumed or might prefer.

I think a fund like that ought to be able to hold 20-30% in below investment grade debt (and EM). I’ll guess RPSIX is not that high. Another thought: They probably have a good slug of inflation protected bonds in the mix - and those might have been a drag in recent years.

Don’t have time to search for the credit quality breakdown. If anybody has that for RPSIX please share.
  • 35.43% 21.30%
    AA 3.44% 5.17%
    A 9.80% 12.78%
    BBB 18.30% 20.79%
    BB 11.41% 18.68%
    B 15.76% 14.29%
    Below B 4.43% 4.40%
    Not Rated 1.42% 2.58%
    Percent of Long Fixed Income Assets
    RPSIX
    Credit Rating
    Multisector Bond
    Average
    Chart
    35.43%
    AAA
    Chart
    21.30%
    AAA

Is this what your looking for ? RPSIX on left _ Category Ave. on right.
    Derf
  • edited October 2018
    Hi Derf. Thanks. Not sure what your numbers reference. M* breaks down the credit quality of RPSIX’s bond holdings. (If you include the fund’s 10% equity holding in the total, the following percentages would be a bit lower.)

Here’s the non-investment grade percentages from M*

BB 11.4%
    B 15.76%
    Below B 4.4%
    Not Rated 1.4%

Total 33% (+ -)

So, in addition to the 10% equity position, it appears that close to 30% of the fund’s total holdings are in non-investment grade bonds. The puzzle remains as to why it hasn’t performed a little better.
  • Based on my quick review, PRELX RPIBX and PRGMX have contributed to RPSIX poor performance.
  • ...Just read through all of this. Grateful that you all took the time. I also mentioned PTRMX above. Might I prevail upon you to opine on THAT one? Thank you all.
  • edited October 2018
    @Crash - Not qualified to opine on PTRMX. Dabbled in one of Price’s munis a year ago and it worked out pretty well. But something I don’t get into much.

Hopefully someone will comment. If not, you can always start a new thread on that one.
  • Using Fund Mojo's website...top ten Muni Intermediate National Fund manager's:

fundmojo.com/mutualfund/bestmanager.php?category=Muni+National+Interm
  • Thanks @bee. I just checked PRSMX from FundMojo. I recognized it from before. I know it's muni and tax free. So, the div. is pretty paltry. Without being reckless, I want to juice my monthlies. :)
  • I’ve owned RPSIX for 15+ years because it seemed like the best option available at TRP and provides a broadly diversified income exposure. This is its worst year I can remember in comparison to comparable funds and it seems to be due to its large stakes in PRCIX (New Income) and foreign/EM bonds. As a result, it has performed poorly as interest rates have risen. So, for the first time ever, I shifted about two-thirds of my holding in RPSIX to other less interest-rate sensitive bonds funds — namely TRBUX (ultra short) and PRFRX (floating rate). When interest rates finally seem to be stabilizing, I will probably move the money back into RPSIX.

In the past, RPSIX’s primary weakness was its 10-20% stake in dividend stocks, which hurt returns in bear markets. However, this year has shown that it’s also vulnerable to rising interest rates.
  • edited October 2018
    Good analysis by several. I like the ultra-short (TRBUX) mentioned above. Use it as a “cash equivalent” (Not all ultra-shorts are managed as well.). Yet, even over the shorter 5 year period, it lags RPSIX by about a point and a half. So, if willing to tolerate a little more volatility, investors would have been better off in RPSIX.

Another income fund I own is DODIX. i’ve long allowed a smaller portion (no greater than 50%) to count as part of my “cash equivalent” holdings. Of course it’s not really cash - but for allocation purposes I’m willing to include it. DODIX has a longer history than TRBUX. So a 10 year comparison is possible. Here RPSIX still wins with a 6.28% return while DODIX netted 5.61%. Again - you need be willing to accept more volatility to reap the additional income with RPSIX.

While I’m not “married” to TRP (borrowing Crash’s words), it’s my single largest fund manager and has 100% of my Traditiinal IRA. So, I’ll stick with the 15% allocation to RPSIX. We’ve known for 10 years that bonds would suffer when the emergency Fed easing slowed or stopped and rates normalized / rose. Nothing too startling here. Yes, the foreign securities have taken a toll on the fund. I thought PRELX a brilliant idea when introduced. Unlike most of their international / EM bond funds, Price does not hedge this one against currency fluxuations. So the strong dollar has really hurt it. I’ve owned it before but doubt I will again.
  • Good information to chew on. Glad for the contributions here.
  • ORNAX appears to be the clear winner in National Muni High Yield. NTF at Schwab and TDA. I could have done a better job screening before buying PTRMX which I bought because of decent rating and satisfaction with PTIAX. So, @Crash, I own both Performance Trust funds but I am not married to PTRMX. My other bond holdings are all in balanced or allocation funds.