Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Buying Individual #1 a clue on Tariffs

Here's an interesting opinion piece regarding those Tariffs so beloved by Individual #1.

Comments

• @OId_Joe: Link please !
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • Ted, just rightclick over the words
  • jeez, this seems weak for reich, as if they would not get the product technology to copy through other means?
  • A few days ago a friend purchased a needed new washer and dryer in a community that is rural with a population of under 30k for a large area......no big retail centers, etc; but small individual stores. A large sign in the the window stated that the prices of most appliances would increase 10% on Jan. 2, due to passed along tariff costs.
    Not that it really matters, but the area has always voted about 60% Republican; so one may presume some head scratching for this voting block in the area.
  • edited December 2018
    @Ted: Try clicking on: an interesting opinion piece. That's why it's highlighted, just like every other normal internet link. "Left click" works also.
  • @ Robert Reich, I see he'd parked his left wing butt at the communist university in Berkeley !
    Regards,
    Ted:(
  • he always spoke well of you
  • @Ted- Sorry, that button doesn't seem to work. More to the point, exactly what in that article was not accurate?
  • edited December 2018
  • @johnN- Sorry, that button doesn't seem to work either. More to the point, exactly what in that article was not accurate?
  • @Ted - as a graduate of that commie U I take deep pride in your scorn.
  • >> I take deep pride in your scorn

phrase of the week, if not the year
  • I stand dumbstruck at the perception on the part of so many: that possessing some common sense AND a conscience makes one a "communist." I voted for Bernie. Come after me.
  • @davidrmoran- I absolutely agree: Phrase of the Year it is. @Mark: Congratulations, sir!
  • edited December 2018
    Yeah, when I think of UCB, what immediately comes to mind are all those commies in the world-class departments/schools/colleges of architecture, English, engineering (civil, chemical, electrical, mechanical), physics, astronomy, business, finance, statistics, law, on and on; those 100+ Nobel laureate commies; and those science-y commies who work with and in the Dept. of Energy labs, like Lawrence Livermore and Lawrence Berkeley.

Yeah, those commies.
  • Oh, so you've heard of it. Yes, that's the one. Quiet, sleepy little place. Not.
    And gosh thanks David and OJ. I'll cherish the award proudly.
  • @MFO Members: I give up ! Go Bears !!!
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • Howdy folks,

I'll say this once and I don't want to talk about it again.

Increasing tariffs is ALWAYS TERRIBLE. If there are inequities in trade, you sit down and break some bread and work it out. Cripes, there's a world trade court of settle this stuff.

What increasing tariffs does is to tax the consumer through higher prices. Most will be passed along and we all pay more.

As for the folks that whine about the trade imbalances. HELLO!!!! When we are running a trade deficit it means WE HAVE MORE STUFF you blithering idiots.

Nopers, this is bad and I fear will not end well.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • Tariffs are just another form of taxation that increases prices for everyone.
  • edited December 2018
    Just so you all know, poster @Ted (a soybean farmer) isn’t exactly a disinterested party here. Just today Individual #1 announced new pay-offs to farmers to try and compensate them for the damage his trade war is causing. https://thehill.com/policy/finance/421752-trump-announces-second-round-of-farm-aid-to-offset-trade-damage

“After this latest round of payments, farmers will have received about $9.6 billion in aid, according to Department of Agriculture figures. The largest payments will be for soybeans.”

It’s sad that the hard-earned money you and I pay in taxes every year is going into the pockets of farmers like Ted rather than being used to repair our crumbling roads, fight diseases, educate kids or help the truly needy.
  • Sidenote to hanks linked article: I recall, but won't look for an article that U.S. soybeans; before they all rot to hell or too expensive to store were being shipped to S. American countries for their use and that their soybeans could in turn be shipped to China. Also, that the direct U.S. sales to China has come to a -97% from prior sales data. There are numerous agri web sites that are part of farm organizations that have been in place for many years, if one really wants to get a more direct view from the farmers. MarketToMarket.org is an old organization and available to view their programs online.

Other than the sucking sound from D.C.; all is well and please stop looking and listening; and please go about your own business.
  • edited December 2018
    Whatever happening usa still owe 22 trillions and going upward faster rates in 20 yrs
  • Moron In Chief.