Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Opening Day

Despite the worship of money, the bad boys who never grew up, the ones who abuse wives and girlfriends, the doping and drugs, the Front Office jerks. I still look forward to this day, every year. "PLAY BALL!"

Comments

• @MFO Members: Speaking of baseball, name the year and the two teams who played in the World Series both who's home was west of the Mississippi ?
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Used to love the Orioles, Rochester's Parent club when I was a kid. Frank and Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell, Jim Palmer, McNally, Bobby Grich, Belanger, Blair, Buford. Crazy I can still remember all the names. Used to read box scores while having breakfast before going to school. But alas, lost interest in MLB some where along the line, maybe the strike in the 80's(?) Maybe before that. I can't remember. Still very much Americas pass time though. "PLAY BALL!"
  • edited March 2019
    @Ted- Well, in 2017 it was the Houston Astros vs the Los Angeles Dodgers.
  • Wrong better luck next time !
  • edited March 2019
    @Ted: Exactly what part of that is wrong?

Wickipedia: "The 2017 World Series was the championship series of Major League Baseball's 2017 season. The 113th edition of the World Series, it was played between October 24 and November 1. The series was a best-of-seven playoff between the National League champion Los Angeles Dodgers and the American League champion Houston Astros."

The last time I looked both Los Angeles and Houston were "West of the Mississippi".

• @Ted In 1944, the St Louis Cardinals played the St Louis Browns in Old Sportsman Park. I only know this since I grew up in St Louis.
  • @Ted: Again: EXACTLY WHAT PART OF MY ANSWER IS WRONG?
  • 1944 was the first time this happened. Off the top of my head, other years would include 1965,1974,1985,1987,2002, 2011 and 2017. I'm sure I missed some.
  • Of course, 1988 and 1989!
  • @Ted: Your question: "name the year and the two teams who played in the World Series both who's home was west of the Mississippi " MAKES NO MENTION OF "THE FIRST TIME".

As an ex-teacher, you rate an "F".
  • That lack of a time-element threw me, too.
  • edited March 2019
    (Deleted by OJ)
  • @carew388, I don't think I ever heard of the St Louis Browns. Did the franchise morph into something else?
  • St. Louis Browns were originally the Milwaukee Brewers, founded 1901, then moved and became the Baltimore Orioles.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_St._Louis_Browns
  • Thank you Crash. The Brewers-Browns became my favorite team and I didn't even know it.
  • MikeM said:

Thank you Crash. The Brewers-Browns became my favorite team and I didn't even know it.

+1.