Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

HEAVY ARTILLERY How to escalate a trade war, Chinese Communist Party style

This is an interesting background read that offers general perspective about China's possible retaliatory moves and some of the challenges it faces...

imageimage" />

Link to article:

https://qz.com/1618871/what-is-chinas-next-move-in-the-us-trade-war/

Comments

• Interesting most of the companies listed, the commies in the past have either stole or trying to steal technology from, same same goddam thieves !!
  • edited May 2019
    Corporations that would fire a US employee for taking a couple of pencils have no problem exposing themselves to massive Chines theft. Go figure.
  • This statement has been published over and over many times by idiots who know nothing about bonds.

"Then there’s the perennial threat of the “nuclear option“—the notion that China will sell off its $1.1 trillion in US Treasury bonds. This is implausible for the simple reason that it’s hard to manipulate the Treasury market, Yao says."

I hope they sell they will get a haircut they richly deserve.
  • OJ who lost their pencils Inquiring minds want to know?
  • Merely a figure of speech. I'm sure that you understood the underlying meaning. BTW, I totally agree with you on China, and I give credit (grudgingly, it's true) to Trump for finally trying to do something about those thieving bastards.
  • edited May 2019
    @Old_Joe I agree that Trump deserves credit for shaking things up with China. But, I also agree with Biden's assessment that he is a "divider-in-chief". Our system needed to be cleansed with a high quality "sheep dip". I just hope the brand that Trump is using doesn't wind up doing more damage than it does good....

• Beijing Demands Giant Pandas Loaned To San Diego Zoo Be Returned Immediately

Also take their bat and stick it up where the sun don't shine !!

http://stocktalkjournal.com/beijing-demands-giant-pandas-loaned-to-san-diego-zoo-be-returned-immediately/
  • Based upon reviewing other online information and posted at the San Diego Zoo site:

"In honoring the terms of our conservation loan agreement with the People’s Republic of China, 27-year-old Bai Yun and her son, 6-year-old Xiao Liwu, will leave the San Diego Zoo this spring, and will be repatriated to their ancestral homeland. We are now working with colleagues in China to determine and redefine the future of panda conservation and research."
    The pandas have already arrived in China.
    I don't know the legal terms of the agreement, but if this was an early forced return; then the language at the zoo site is being gracious with the wording about the truth.
    Otherwise, this "forced" return of the pandas has been twisted away from the true story which indicates a prior agreement for the return time frame.
    My 2 cents worth in search of the truth, of which; becomes more difficult with each passing day.
  • US zoos have contracts with China to host the giant panda. In return China receives over $1M fee per year for each panda. The US breeding program have had the fortune to have high success rate. San Diego Zoo had 5 panda born there while Georgia Zoo had 6 (I believe). At present San Diego is in discussion to host several new panda in coming years. Aside from the politics, giant panda are fantastic to see even in captivity.
  • @Sven- thanks for the info. Yes, the San Diego pandas and in fact the entire San Diego Zoo and associated wildlife park are well worth seeing. We've been through them at least two or three times.
  • RPT-FACTBOX-Investments by automakers in the U.S. and China since Trump came to power

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-china-autos-factbox-idUSKCN1SR0DK
  • looks like POTUS is backing up his words w/ Huawei, market goes up slightly today
  • If you own technology stocks or funds invested in US companies Huawei's crap directly affects the bottom line and your earnings and our security !!

Huawei’s Yearslong Rise Is Littered With Accusations of Theft and Dubious Ethics

https://www.wsj.com/articles/huaweis-yearslong-rise-is-littered-with-accusations-of-theft-and-dubious-ethics-11558756858