Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Everything American Hits All-Time Highs

FYI: ‘Buy American’ has never felt this good for investors.

The total return indexes for the S&P 500 Index, U.S. investment-grade corporate bonds, high-yield debt, and sovereign and quasi-sovereign debt have risen to record levels in the wake of the Federal Reserve’s signal it stands ready to lower interest rates for the first time in over a decade.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-20/all-time-highs-in-everything-american-as-risk-rally-crescendoes

Comments

• People still need to learn that "lower" is an adjective, not a verb. Sigh.
  • @Crash: ?

lower 2 |ˈlōər|
    verb [ trans. ]

move (someone or something) in a downward direction : he watched the coffin being lowered into the ground.
    • reduce the height, pitch, or elevation of : she lowered her voice to a whisper.
    • make or become less in amount, extent, or value : [ trans. ] traffic speeds must be lowered | [ intrans. ] temperatures lowered.
    • direct (one's eyes) downward.
    • ( lower oneself) behave in a way that is perceived as unworthy or debased.
  • adulteration of the language. Should not "reduce" be used here? "....lower interest rates for the first time in over a decade." Could be just me.
  • Crash said:

People still need to learn that "lower" is an adjective, not a verb. Sigh.

Sez who?? Sigh indeed. Some Mrs Grundy should lower the boom on youse.

• edited June 2019
    @Crash: Let's see now-
    I guess we could reduce the flag at sunset, make the landing gear smaller as an aircraft lands, shrink the crossing gates as the train approaches...

You get the idea. Have another beer and forget the whole thing.
    :)

@DavidMoran- Ah, yes, comic book memories... Mrs Grundy, Archie, Veronica, Betty, Jughead, and the principal... what was his name?
  • Mr Weatherbee? I shall look it up.
  • Yes! Not bad for your sieve-like memory.:)
  • edited June 2019
    Old_Joe said:

@Crash: Let's see now-
    I guess we could reduce the flag at sunset, make the landing gear smaller as an aircraft lands, shrink the crossing gates as the train approaches...

Some nice analysis from @Old_Joe. I myself was wondering how one might reduce a coffin?:)

Interestingly, lower can also serve as an adverb - as in: “The market continued lower as the day wore on.”
  • "Uncle. " I was wrong. Who'd have ever thunkit, eh? :)