Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anything up today? (Tuesday, October 1)

edited October 2019 in Off-Topic
Amazed so little shined. My only “up” was a 2-cent gain by DODIX. Looking over the dozen diversified funds I track (but don’t own), everything’s red except HSGFX, which gained a half percent. Kinda surprised that’s still open. Seems to me he intended to close it. The miners overall were up, but my p/m fund lost a bit.

Comments

• Hussman x3, Merger, Arbitrage. T Rowe Price Global Multi-Sector Bond (formerly Strategic Income), First Trust/Aberdeen Emerging Opportunities (a multi-asset EM CEF) ... not much from the universe I scan.
  • All my US bond funds are up.
  • pci and ponax, a tad, per M*
  • edited October 2019
    Sven said:

All my US bond funds are up.

FI-heavy ports did well. All my FI funds were up too, including a global fund.
  • Not me, for sure, ;) but a couple of our bond funds edged up a bit.
  • @MFO Members: Nice day for my PONCX up .01 + $0.044080010 distribution.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Most PIMCo credit bond funds declare dividends daily (like a MMF), so paying out a dividend doesn't affect their share price. That means that PONCX went up only a penny (at least it went up). The distribution was money that had already been set aside on previous days - the fund was just holding it for you until the end of the month.

Still, a positive move for the fund on a bad day. And a little more cash in your pocket.
    Prospectus. See Fund Distributions section (p. 68, pdf p. 70).

For clarification (or obfuscation, depending on whether my writing makes sense):

A fund like DODIX declares and pays dividends quarterly. So near the end of each quarter (Sept. 25th was the last such date) the price drops by the amount of the dividend (ignoring market movement). Since DODIX paid out 11¢ on Sept. 25 while its price dropped 16¢ ($14.21 to $14.05) that day, the actual drop in value was just 5¢. That was in line with, say, VTBLX that also dropped a nickel that day ($11.13 to $11.08).
  • beebee
    edited October 2019
    Interesting day yesterday...here were a few "ups" I own..continued weakness ahead?
    Note: as per @hank and @msf comments...I updated my "ups"
    https://www.screencast.com/t/lWGxRbjj
  • Be wary of third party quotes.

Sure Yahoo's summary page for POAGX says that the fund went up 24¢ to $42.01 (as in your screenshot), but that's stale data. If you look at Yahoo's history page, you'll see that $42.01 was Monday's closing price, not yesterday's.

Primecap confirms this. On its home page, it shows POAGX dropping 65¢ to $41.36.

Same Yahoo problem with FRIFX. Haven't checked others.
  • edited October 2019
    @bee, Thanks for the chart.

However, two on that list must be the previous day’s quotes. Both Lipper and M* are showing FSMEX and POAGX down October 1. Each lost about 1.5%. Many quotes seem to have been late or fluctuated back and forth between Monday and Tuesday’s close. Had that issue with OAKBX, which I sold last year and continue to track. Up at first, but eventually shown to be down.

PRWBX, of course, is T. Rowe’s short-term bond fund. Not sure what your CEF is in reference to.
  • beebee
    edited October 2019
    @hank CEF is Sprott Physical Gold and Silver Trust
    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/CEF?p=CEF
  • edited October 2019
    @bee @hank @msf et al

I use this site link to view pricing and other data for a fund, etf or stock. The search block at the top, left of the page will accept any valid ticker. As one enters letters, the search will begin an auto fill list to verify what you are searching. Whack to the enter
    key and away you go.
    Note for etf and stock tickers: One will obtain, more or less; real time data.
    I don't know how Barcharts obtains their data from fund companies, but I have not found problems with timely posting of correct numbers. An exception is Vanguard, so this may be confined to when they release numbers on a daily basis.
    You may insert your favorite fund ticker to monitor at the link which is set to FRIFX, save the page and when you return to the site, that ticker data will be shown. Enter other search tickers as needed. Best deal, is that this function is FREE.
    NOTE: for whatever fund you want to monitor on a daily close basis, I would suggest viewing starting at 6pm and work through every hour after to discover the "regular period" for updated price information.

Barchart quotes

ADD: this is an easy and fast page to view etf and stock prices without hopping to other sites. Example: If I really needed to know how FSMEX will likely close, I use the etf ticker of IHI for medical devices. These two travel very close price roads.

Have fun !
    Catch
  • UP? you mean anything besides Bernie's new Cardiologist's patient numbers?

• Oct. 1st: only PTIAX and PRSNX were up for me. I'm bond-heavy. So on the day, the portf. was down by just -0.36%. Today is gonna suck, again.
  • PTIAX, ORNAX, and two individual stocks (a nut processor and a medical software provider). These latter are SC, small float, issues. The big machers on this board might pile in and short my babies if I give their trading symbols. LOL!