Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

BUY.....SELL......PONDER December 2019

Hi guys,
Going to ponder mostly. Most things are at 52-week highs. In my IRA, I guess that's good. I bought several funds last month and have coverage. The energy sector seems to be very volatile. The MIP I own still pays well, so will add on weakness. I have seen new oil fields will come on line next year. There also is a con tango in the futures markets in oil. The Economist (I love this magazine, mind you) has sent out its end of year and 2020 preview. I'm reading now.

Buying very little right now.....maybe YAFFX. It seems to be dead in the water. Will not add to bonds 'til things hit 2% on the 10. I think it's a loser play before that. Still hearing overseas bonds and stocks. How will that work with U.S. and China slowing? The dollar has to fall.....will that happen?

Seems to me a lot of jibber from people who don't want you to sell.......just saying......
God bless
the Pudd

Comments

• Thinking of adding the new Vanguard Core International fund to my taxable acct to gain managed largecap blend exposure overseas. (It's managed by Wellington)

Global Wellington is interesting too, but I don't want bonds these days.
  • added to VPCCX and VTI recently.
    also bought Michelin Tire bonds mature 2026s YTM 5.4% 382550BF7 few days ago
  • edited December 5
    Added to one of my income positions (BLADX).
  • edited December 5
    Fido just came out with a new specialty fund in November that looks different. I got in on the ground floor with a wee investment, I want to follow and see what happens!!

Fidelity Infrastructure Fund FNSTX.
  • edited December 5
    Gary said:

Fido just came out with a new specialty fund in November that looks different. I got in on the ground floor with a wee investment, I want to follow and see what happens!!

Fidelity Infrastructure Fund FNSTX.

And I just sold my Invesco infrastructure fund. (OQGAX). :) Had a lot to do with their decision to drop Macquarie as the fund’s manager. Good luck with that one.

• edited December 6
    Had a maturing CD this week and due to current low yielding CD rates put the money into one of Federated's Government Money Market Mutual Funds (GOFXX). I'm now down to a three step CD Ladder as I have a CD maturing every six months.
  • Pondering FAMEX, DFDPX, and YAFFX which I would buy on their distribution dates later this month. However, YAFFX has over 25% in cash and 2.5% in Macy's which has fallen 50% year to date, so I can't help but to question their judgement. I do not believe the market is overvalued by any measure whatsoever and I do believe the bull will continue for many more years, so a fund with 25% in cash is probably not for me. Yet the long term history of YAFFX is compelling.

I'm realling looking for a fund which scores highly on ESG and low on carbon. I already have Brown Advisory Sustainable Growth and am looking at the Parnassus lineup. Many tech funds qualify on ESG as well. Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.
  • Simon said:

I'm realling looking for a fund which scores highly on ESG and low on carbon. I already have Brown Advisory Sustainable Growth and am looking at the Parnassus lineup. Many tech funds qualify on ESG as well. Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

PRBLX is 90% of my Roth IRA. I own it not for ESG purposes but b/c of its small # of holdings, low turnover, composition, and how it performs during periods of market stress -- ie, 2008. I sold it for a while when they bought into WFC as their series of scandals began and held it through several more ... which iMO was not good 'G' in 'ESG' for the fund anyway .... but bought it back once they felt the pressure from shareholders and dumped the position.
  • Hi guys,

iforno: I like Wellington......anything. Mainly, Wellsley.

johnN: Good job! I only drive on Michelins. They're on the GT also.

Gary: I also have FNSTX. Also look at FIFNX. It's also new.....I like it. Just saying.......

Hi Skeeter - Yeah, looks like a good AA fund with ETFs and Blackrock funds....I like it.

Me? I sold FSENX this week. It's just too volatile with Armco coming. It's a pump job, I believe.....just saying. Have added to ADEVX. The MLP----MLPFX is at a 52-week low and pays a great dividend......just saying....

God bless
    the Pudd
  • Started a new position in MFAPX as I believe foreign equity markets will continue to perform well. Also plan to add to ARTJX. Currently evaluating a set of domestic equity funds too.
  • @Puddnhead -Thanks for the heads up - will observe and do more dd. Enough excitement for this year!

@hank Looked at OQGAX - hope my selection does half as good!
  • Howdy folks,

Starting to move overseas particularly Asia and China and both stocks and bonds. Added both MPACX and MCHFX. Also, with the retrenchment in the POG/POS, it's a great time to buy your annual bullion coins and rounds. They make great Christmas presents for everyone, including yourself.

It's not looking like things are going to end well politically. It's appearing as if the House will impeach and the Senate will acquit and the voters will decide in November. Fine. That's a given. What concerns me is how crazy things are going to get betwixt now and then, as 'there's many a slip between the leap and the saddle' as Flashman would say.

I sincerely pray for my country.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • @rono - I see more institutional's dialing down their equity exposure and slipping some of those assets into gold lately. Just an observation but maybe they forecast a correction in the works.
  • Hello
    Placed a new position for vanguard life-cycle 2040 fund and safeway bonds [cusip 786514BA6] YTM 6.6% today....
  • Got into GPGCX after initially looking down on it. Why? Was looking for something more value based and wanted to be in a GP micro fund and I was underweight EM and international overall. GPGCX looks to be the best of both worlds.

I have really been looking at RCTIX...really pondering that one.