Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Merry Christmas

Howdy folks,

It's that time again. Have some great holidays that are healthy and safe. Pray for peace on earth and pray for our nation.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=reindeer+singing+white+christmas+on+youtube&view=detail&mid=1A9D144635A7B61F98FD1A9D144635A7B61F98FD&FORM=VIRE

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

Comments

• edited December 2019
  • I can't even bear any longer to bring myself to discuss the political situation in the USA. But Merry Christmas to all.
  • Thanks Ron. Wishing you the same

OJ
  • Thank you, Ron. Darn..........the clock sure does move along too fast, eh? Almost 2020.
    Take care of you and yours, and let us hope that this winter in our Wonderland state is not so brutal as last year.
    Catch
  • Wishing everybody a Merry Christmas And A Happier New Year ...

• Wishing all a Merry Christmas and a Golden New Year! Anna
  • Hi guys,

I enjoy Ron's electronic card each year.

Wishing all a very Merry Christmas!

Old_Skeet
  • Thx everyone...hope everyone and family have safe healthy prosperous 2020...may peace prevails

So quiet now no more fight and much less actions now since Ted is gone (hope old_joe at peace )
    We do miss him

• Happy/Merry/Festive Whatever to everyone! May the best of 2020 be but the worst of 2021 for all of us. :)
  • "old_joe" is quietly thinking that he is only two years younger than Ted was. And wondering which vital subsystem is likely to fail and take him out too.
  • edited December 2019
    Old_Joe said:

"old_joe" is quietly thinking that he is only two years younger than Ted was. And wondering which vital subsystem is likely to fail and take him out too.

I’ll note (dryly) - Judging from his past posts, Ted sold essentially all his equities roughly 18 months ago and went substantially to cash / fixed income. Can’t argue with that from a financial standpoint. I’m wondering, however, if maybe it’s better in terms of one’s longevity, to stay at least partially invested in the market? Reminds me a bit of my doc thinking it’s time I stop running few minutes a day on a treadmill. So far I’ve refused to do so, and thus surrender to advancing age - even though it hurts some days.

There’s a lot, I think, to be said for denial (and staying invested). FWIW
  • @hank- Interesting point. Perhaps that's a subliminal reason why I maintained a small position in many of the funds that we have long held, rather than outright converting everything to cash. As far as denial is concerned, I've been denying lots of things ever since I was first sent to the principal's office in the fourth grade. These days it's my wife... :)
  • @hank, why does your doc think that? OA, or CA blockage? do you have angina / dyspnea symptoms?
  • edited December 2019

@hank, why does your doc think that? OA, or CA blockage? do you have angina / dyspnea symptoms?

Thanks for asking - “Bursitis” on one side (hip). Had me limping several months back and I sought out an orthopedic doc & some physical therapy. Both temporarily put the nix on running. Here’s the definition: “An inflammation of bursae, the fluid filled sacs that cushion the joints.” Much better now. Doing some limited running on the treadmill. (Age 73).

@davidrmoran / PS - Running is tough on some body parts like knees. I get the feeling a lot of people in the med community would rather those in their 70s - 80s seek out alternative forms of exercise. Should have clarified that earlier. FWIW
  • oh, sure; that
  • edited December 2019
    sorry catch22..will remove post..regards..happy holidays:)
  • A happy holiday wish sure went the hell off the track.
    How about one of you start a "don't want to get to or be older".
    Give Rono and the rest some slack with this post, eh?
  • edited December 2019

As far as I know, everyone in the conversation has already posted a Christmas greeting. More welcome for sure. Apologies for any deviation. When asked a question by a fellow board member in a thread, I do my best to reply out of courtesy - and not always topical.

• Catch has a point there. Likely my fault for replying to johnN and starting the whole thing. Apologies for that.

OJ
  • edited December 2019
    This thread began on December 12th, almost two weeks before Christmas. It seems "the season" begins earlier each year, with a barrage of advertisements, sacchrine music and 24-7 light displays. While I appreciate what I think is the underlying message of Christmas in Dickens' Christmas Carol and any number of charitable sermons, as someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas I wonder how early is too early and whether the buy, buy, buy messages we are bombarded with are really necessary and don't in fact actually betray the more charitable intent of the holiday? I joked to my wife the other night that I think I'm going to start saying Merry Christmas on January 2nd of 2020 just to catch the season early enough. So when does Christmas begin for each of you? And may I add have a Happy One.:-)
  • edited December 2019
    Lewis makes some excellent points. I already shared Catch’s concern, but decided it wasn’t worth fretting over. Everyone should know - @rono’s been posting the same hilarious Santa’s Reindeer video for something like 20 years - going back to Fund Alarm. And we old-timers look forward to it a bit more every season. Thanks @rono for sharing it once more!

But I must say, this isn’t a “normal” Christmas season, as Rono tactfully alludes to in his message. Our nation’s sharply divided. Impeachment’s about to begin. Even a yearly classic, the Army-Navy football game, has become shrouded in controversy over respect for human rights and what kind of nation we want to be or are becoming.

Than add to to all this the recent loss of a long-serving, deeply dedicated and respected board member (see notice at top of board). So there’s a grieving period going on here as well. Is it not natural that comments about death, aging and health might somehow creep into the conversation? I don’t think OJ needs to apologize. He was doing his best to respond to the comment of another board member. Conversations don’t always run in a straight line.
  • msf
    edited December 2019
    Along Lewis' lines, and keeping in mind that this thread started with Christmas song video, here's Tom Leher's Christmas Carol dating back to the 1950s:

Christmas time is here by golly,
    Disapproval would be folly, ...

• edited December 2019
    @hank

>> Running is tough on some body parts like knees.

sure; just got my second knee replacement, following both hips recently too.

Never a runner of any distance, just sports sprinting.

>> I get the feeling a lot of people in the med community would rather those in their 70s - 80s seek out alternative forms of exercise. Should have clarified that earlier. FWIW

oh, sure, know it well. The guy who has done the last four of my 13 joint surgeries (over the years) is of the newer generation of orthopedists who give no precautions or restrictions on anything you did prior, i.e., 'go live you life'. So my Christmas wish is to be back at geezer bball come the spring.