Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fund Spy: International-Stock Funds Bounce Back in 2019.

By Tom Nations, CFP 1/7/2020

"The United States-China trade conflict roiled global supply chains and equities, but a de-escalation in the latter half of the year spurred optimism. Dovish central banks drove global interest rates to low-to-negative levels, making equities look good relative to fixed income. As investors grew more sanguine about macroeconomic and geopolitical issues, the MSCI All Country World Index ex USA rose 21.5%. Developed equities outperformed their emerging counterparts, with the MSCI EAFE Index's 22.0% gain besting the MSCI Emerging Markets Index's 18.4%."

More Here

Comments

• I bought Dodge and Cox International the first year it was offered-after doing quite well for the first years, it stumbled badly in ensoiuant years- however, hope springs eternal and it had a great 2019- may it continue !! any thoughts on the matter, you guys- and lassies??
  • PRIDX. (TRP.) 2019: +24.6%. DODFX and PRIDX both had similarly bad years in 2018.
  • DODFX is a volatile fund that can have multi-year streaks of good or bad performance. I was going to say that despite that, it's not a white knuckle fund - with performances in, say, the top 2% or bottom 2% - until I checked. It came in at the 98th percentile in 2015 and the 2nd percentile in 2016.

That sequence goes to show that you have to look at this fund over several years. Its 72nd percentile performance in 2017 and 81st percentile standing in 2018, when combined with its 7th percentile returns in 2019 and also YTD lands it in the top 3/8th (38th percentile) over three years.

Another good year and this fund is going to wind up with a great 3 year record and it will have pulled its 5 year record up quite a bit. If one is willing to hang tight, I don't see a reason to believe that it won't continue to do well, long term. It reopened in part because of nearly a half decade of outflows. So while large, I don't expect size to be a significant issue.