Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

"Why We Build The Wall" - Hadestown Cast Recording

edited January 2020 in Off-Topic

Comments

• Finally stopped to listen. Well done.
  • To slow and full of BS.
    They should come to rural SW America and found out for sure why we need a wall to keep out Illegal Aliens.
  • edited January 2020
    @Rossby - The clip was posted only to represent an artistic endeavor by a talented Broadway cast. Hadestown received the 2019 Tony Award for “best musical.” I recently attended a live performance. Generally, critics have not viewed the play, based on Greek mythology, as political. It is my hope and desire that music / theater lovers view the presentation as an artistic endeavor (be it good or bad) and that it not lead to political discourse.

@Rossby - Welcome to the board!
  • Rossby said:

To slow and full of BS.
    They should come to rural SW America and found out for sure why we need a wall to keep out Illegal Aliens.

SW US is evidently as different as can be from other rural US:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/02/12/help-wanted-rural-america-needs-immigrants/
  • who are you to kno what SW US are like.
  • Huh? Been there, have family there, know a bit about the pressures placed on social services from immigration --- a tough problem and tough set of issues. Are you familiar with the wide range of response options discussed? Do you think Trump's wall would have good effects?
  • Fell right into that one, didn't you?
    :-D
  • yup, I take you seriously, so I guess I will have to modulate that
  • edited January 2020
    The linguistics...
    :)
  • Hank;
    I’m glad you enjoyed the show. I’m more of a Willie Nelson fan.
    I have been retired since 1992 and have been on and off M* and MFO for many years. I don’t post much but like to read what other folks are thinking.
    I live close enough to the border that if one’s Ford 250 is stolen at 3 AM it can be in Juarez before sun up.
    I believe there are advantages to having a secure border and a comprehensive Guest Workers program.
    Keep up the good work.
    Rossby

• "I believe there are advantages to having a secure border and a comprehensive Guest Workers program."

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. There's certainly nothing wrong with having a secure border.

There are many thousands of workers who are presently here illegally, working hard at jobs that need to be done. Instead of hounding and harassing them we should legalize and regulate their work here. In addition to the labor aspect our national security would be aided by knowing who is here, where they are, and what they're doing.