Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Stimulus check almost in the mail, but wait there's more; OR The Madness of Kings

Well, this government scenario(s) remains like on ongoing skit from Saturday Night Live or whatever other show you would like to choose.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shaharziv/2020/04/15/trumps-narcissism-may-delay-your-1200-stimulus-check/#4e1994156180

RANT version not posted.

The sun is visible this morning in Michigan. I will have a better remainder of the day.

Take care,
Catch

Comments

• Are you sure, Catch? It’s snowing in AA.
  • Well, we got our reduced virus check by direct deposit today. It partially paid for our quarterly tax which also got withdrawn today by the IRS.
  • Ya, mine is in, X2 (wife, too.) So, that's good to see. But this is not any sort of RECOVERY PLAN. This is a feel-good thing, like a lollipop to a kid. (But how many will take the bait and run for another dose of Repugnant Party Kool-Aid--- especially given that The Orange Child-Clown has his signature on the paper versions?) https://www.washingtonpost.com/

And ya, it is shameful.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/15/politics/stimulus-check-trump-signature-pelosi/index.html
  • The government giveth and the government taketh away. :(
  • So, @Crash Help me understand.....the stimulus check was a REPUB only plan and passage? And what bait???
    But this is not any sort of RECOVERY PLAN
    Reminded of a Facebook post I read yesterday. A 75 y.o. (I've know for decades), who is right of right wing was whining he didn't need or want the stimulus money and that he preferred a friends business have the money. An hour later, his clear thinking D.I.L. suggested he give the money to his friend. I won't know the outcome.

You can always donate the money locally, to someone else in need, in HI, eh?

Thank you.
    Catch
  • Anna said:

Well, we got our reduced virus check by direct deposit today. It partially paid for our quarterly tax which also got withdrawn today by the IRS.

Would that be your first quarter estimate (which is due second), or your second quarter estimate (which is due first)?

As far as printing checks is concerned, what's another few days when some of the checks weren't going out until August to begin with? This government literally can't print money fast enough.

• @msf It's my first payment date according to the IRS. I've always just made sure it covered income for the first quarter. If this is wrong, then I've been doing it wrong now for the past 10 years.
  • On March 21st, the IRS extended the due date for the first quarter payment to July 15, while leaving the second quarter payment due on June 15th.

Apparently a week ago (April 9), the IRS finally untangled this mess by making the second quarter payment also due on July 15th. I was not aware of that later change until now.

This time really is different. Just as this time RMDs are not required even though they've been required for the past ten years. (RMDs were waived 11 years ago.)

Here's the IRS page on estimated tax due dates for 2020:
    https://www.irs.gov/faqs/estimated-tax/individuals/individuals-2
  • edited April 2020
    (Something's wrong with the "quote" feature) @Catch22 The approval of the checks was bipartisan. It was the Orange Clown who wanted (and got, from his lapdogs) his name put on the checks. He will never miss, and even fabricate, any opportunity to make himself look good. At least in his own eyes, and among those drunk on Repugnant Party Kool-Aid.
  • Should I include a credit to Trump for the check I'm sending to the local food bank?
  • edited April 2020
    How insecure and narcissistic of a person do you need to be to think your name should be on everything, including buildings you didn't build and checks you didn't pay for? It's funny but in Judaism there is a tradition--and spiritual mandate--to give to charity called Tzedakah. The highest form of Tzedakah is to give anonymously so your ego isn't massaged from the charity. This is the exact opposite of Tzedakah. It is a mercenary attempt to use taxpayer funds to finance the president's re-election campaign. Every senior citizen Fox News viewer who gets one of those checks with Trump's name on it will think the president personally is helping him/her recover.
  • @Anna - Absolutely NOT! Courtesy of Nancy Pelosi and the House.
  • Howdy folks,

Good to hear you rec'd your checks. I've had to pay the past few years so had to go in yesterday and enter my acct info to get a direct deposit.

Also, today we rec'd a full cash refund from Viking for our 13 Mediterranean cruise. We were supposed to fly Grand Rapids, Detroit, Rome, Venice, board 900 pax cruise ship and sale for Barcelona. We had insurance but that's only for specific reasons and not fear or a pandemic. The flights, or in this case the country, has be cancelled to get full cash. Otherwise, it's a sliding combination of cash and voucher tending towards voucher. Once they officially cancelled they offered 100% cash including ins. premium OR 150% voucher. feh, I'm 71. Give me the cash.

Now we've got to cancel our Yosemite trip scheduled (and booked) for July.

The latest refund issue is auto insurance. They're starting to fall, one by one, but 15% ?!?
    Do the math coach. We've been idle BY LAW since March 24. I'll take 15% for March, but think for April it should be at least 50% if not higher. We cannot drive except for essential trips. Accidents and claims are down to zero. Give us our money back.

and so it goes,

peace and flatten the curve,

rono
  • Howdy folks,

Update on our Yosemite trip. Flights had been changed sufficiently to warrant a full cash refund. Others all cancelled but the National Parks reservation service is withholding the standard 10% which can be used in any park (not Teddy Roosevelt TYVM) and they're extending the period it's good for by 6 months. At this point the parks are not closed in July.

That said, it was a good day in wonderful Wacousta.

And so it goes

Peace and Flatten the Curve

Rono
  • I am sending my stimulus check to Joe Biden's campaign.
  • Howdy folks,

Update from the stimulus check front. We applied (had to enter our bank acct info as we normally have to pay at bit) on April 17 and yesterday, were notified that it's on it's way. It should show up in my acct over the next day or so. I'll keep you informed.

And so it goes,

peace and flatten the curve,

rono

• And now people are getting follow-up letters also SIGNED by Tweety Amin explaining the check and how he 'proudly' signed the bipartisan legislation (despite having no Dems at the signing ceremony).

Never missing an opportunity to stroke his ego and get his name in front of people -- this time at the taxpayer's expense.
  • rforno said:

And now people are getting follow-up letters also SIGNED by Tweety Amin explaining the check and how he 'proudly' signed the bipartisan legislation (despite having no Dems at the signing ceremony).

Never missing an opportunity to stroke his ego and get his name in front of people -- this time at the taxpayer's expense.

Ya, that form letter came to us in the mail, yesterday. After the fact. How much is his signature worth to me? It's already in shreds and in the trash. Such a childish doink-brain.
  • rforno said:

And now people are getting follow-up letters also SIGNED by Tweety Amin explaining the check and how he 'proudly' signed the bipartisan legislation (despite having no Dems at the signing ceremony).

Our follow-up letter is coming today, according to the USPS Informed Delivery imaging service. Once Trump manages to kill the USPS, who is going to deliver his campaign literature?

It's IRS Notice 1444 (EN-SP). A copy of the notice is in this blog post (not reviewed by the site).
    https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/4/26/1940386/-Notice-1444-IRS-Pays-for-Trump-Campaign-Mailing

As that blog post observes, there's no description of a supposed Notice 1444 on the IRS website. What one can find is a list of reasons why the IRS sends out notices. "You've already received your refund" isn't among them.
    Why was I notified by the IRS?

The IRS sends notices and letters for the following reasons:
    • You have a balance due.
    • You are due a larger or smaller refund.
    • We have a question about your tax return.
    • We need to verify your identity.
    • We need additional information.
    • We changed your return.
    • We need to notify you of delays in processing your return.
    Understanding Your IRS Notice or Letter
    https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-irs-notice-or-letter
  • That list of possible contingencies is risible. They forgot a few, surely--- like:
    Mars may have bumped into Jupiter.
    Someone moved our cheese.
    The dog ate it, so please resubmit.
    Der Fuhrer is still sleeping, and we are afraid to wake him.

• Several attorneys both Rep and Demo have files a complaint with the election commission stating the obvious. This is a violation of the Hatch ACT

LOCK HIM UP !!!
  • That makes 2?
  • Internet glitch. Here on Oahu, Rectum/"Spectrum" internet service is garbage.
  • Crash- same here in Central Florida. Charter cable service had such a bad reputation that they had to rebrand themselves as Spectrum .
  • It was a merger of Charter and Time Warner Cable. Before the merger, they were ranked 2nd worst and worst respectively. I don't remember the source of that ranking.

https://ir.charter.com/news-releases/news-release-details/charter-communications-merge-time-warner-cable-and-acquire
  • Thanks for chiming in. No argument from HERE.