Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

My basic screen. What's yours?

I find the following to provide a manageable starting point for me to drill down:

Period Metrics & Ratings
• Sharpe Rating In Category: 3 - 5 Average or Better
• Sortino Rating In Category: 3 - 5 Average or Better

MFO Designations
• Family Rating: Top , Upper , Middle

Purchase Info
• Expense Ratio (ER) Rating In Category: 3 - 1 Average or Less
• Front Load: None

Portfolio Info
• Turnover, Annual: 75% or Less

I'm curious where others start from.

Comments

• edited May 7
    Hi @WABAC, On the MFO Quick Search Tool ... Main Search Criteria(Category, MFO Rating, MFO Risk) from there some of my sub search criteria is APR%. Yield & MAXDD. Why yield? Income never goes out of fashion.
  • edited May 7
    My basic screen:

• Old_Skeet said:

Hi @WABAC, On the MFO Quick Search Tool ... Main Search Criteria(Category, MFO Rating, MFO Risk) from there some of my sub search criteria is APR%. Yield & MAXDD. Why yield? Income never goes out of fashion.

Got to have some yield.
  • Sortino Rating, Full Cycles and Down Cycles, Recovery period.

For bonds, one can analyze the credit quality breakdown, i.e. % in AAA, BB and below. It is a delicate balance between having decent yields and not have large exposure to junk bonds.
  • edited September 16
    Since that awful time in March, I've never used MultiSearch and Portfolios tools more.

I find myself setting the Display to periods before March (like Trump Bump, Obama Bull, GFC Bull), to see which funds performed best in last bull market.

I'll also set Ferguson ratings, looking for that sweet-spot Brad defined of performance and consistency.

As well as Alpha and Tracking Error ratings (thank you Michael).

I'll save the resulting funds (symbols) to a Watchlist, then run them across current cycle or YTD to see how bad the damage could be ... and if they're old enough, across GFC Bear. Similarly, across December 2018 Selloff and Normalization (of interest rates) periods.

c
  • 1) I look for funds that don't own the Behemoths: Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Google. And Big Pharma. Then there's private, for-profit prison outfits. Nukes. Armaments. Tobacco. Gambling. Also, the companies whose technologies are assisting Israel to screw the Palestinians. Israeli companies, for the time being, too. Because they don't deserve my money.

2) None of those exist. So, I take solace, knowing that I've seriously reduced my equity holdings by now, to just over one-third of my portfolio.
  • edited September 17
    Charles said:

Since that awful time in March, I've never used MultiSearch and Portfolios tools more.

I find myself setting the Display to periods before March (like Trump Bump, Obama Bull, GFC Bull), to see which funds performed best in last bull market.

I'll also set Ferguson ratings, looking for that sweet-spot Brad defined of performance and consistency.

As well as Alpha and Tracking Error ratings (thank you Michael).

I'll save the resulting funds (symbols) to a Watchlist, then run them across current cycle or YTD to see how bad the damage could be ... and if they're old enough, across GFC Bear. Similarly, across December 2018 Selloff and Normalization (of interest rates) periods.

c

It's a wonderful resource. And I tout it every chance I can.

It was helpful picking my shopping list in March. And I expect to be using it quite a bit as I reflect on our holdings between now and the end of the year rebalancing.