Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Earthquake & Trimmer felt in the Carolinas

edited August 2020 in Off-Topic
Good morning,

At about 8:07 am, this morning, we experienced an earth quake and trimmer in the Charlotte area of the Carolinas. I'm thinking this was also experienced with those that live close by in South Carolina, possibly Virginia, Tennesee and Georgia as well. Did anybody else experience this?

For about 30 seconds my house shook with dishes rattling in the kitchen ... etc. I have not yet checked my brick work or driveway for cracks. Our cat took shelter under the kitchen table.

After checking, thus far, I'm finding no damage to my home or any broken objects within the house.

Comments

• edited August 2020
    Thanks msf, Sparta is about 100 miles north of Charlotte and close to Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia line.

Local news now covering ...

https://www.wcnc.com/article/weather/did-you-feel-an-earthquake-in-charlotte/275-c4e0828a-6b8a-4d45-9b90-0f82b4297382

I'm now getting reports, from folks I know, that the quake was felt in Columbia, Charleston and Atlanta. Friends I know say the did not feel it in Asheville, NC ... which I find strange ... as both Sparta and Asheville are in the same mountain range but about 100 mikes apart. Thus, the falut line must run north & south rather than east & west.
  • edited August 2020
    Welcome to the club. I guess next we'll be having hurricanes in SF.
  • edited August 2020
    hope you stay safe sirs. Regards
  • Hope everything is okay. Good idea to get an earthquake app on your phone. It provides detail information (with 2-3 minutes delay) on the earthquake's epicenter and their magnitudes. Generally there are numerous aftershocks that follow that can last for days.

This earthquake is surprising since the Carolinas don't have many major fault lines as those found on the West coast. https://deq.nc.gov/about/divisions/energy-mineral-land-resources/north-carolina-geological-survey/geologic-hazards/earthquakes-north-carolina

For those who live on the west coast learn to live with earthquakes no matter how small they are.
  • edited August 2020
    Re major faults -

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
    But in ourselves, that we are underlings.”

Glad you’re safe @Old_Skeet.
  • Glad you’re safe @Old_Skeet.
  • After 40 years in Northern California it's always a shock to travel back east to where people build with brick. Under the circumstances, a 5.1 would make me nervous too. With any luck there won't be another such anytime soon.

• 5.1 is a pretty significant quake for an area like N. Carolina. I didn’t realize how significant when I posted earlier. After your nerves settle Ol’Skeet, you can resume putting up those always interesting valuation metrics for us.

Hopefully, no after-shocks. Never experienced it, but I hear they can really be nasty.
  • Yes, a 5.1 is getting close to a real earthquake. I'm quite surprised that we haven't heard of any damage reports near the epicenter as the construction codes back there are not focused on earthquake potential.
  • edited August 2020
    Hi guys, Thanks for those that made comment and wished me well and also to those that kept me and family in your thoughts. My home is ok as most are in the Charlotte area. However, many homes and buildings in the Sparta area were damaged. Thankfully, it is reported, nobody was hurt. I'm sure if the quake had taken place in Charlotte it would be a much different script due to population and building density as Sparta is a small town in the North Carolina mountains.

My home was built in 1938 and held up (with some damage) against a Charleston, SC earthquake that took place in 1968 with some damage to the plaster and brick work. For my family, it was much worse (damage wise) than the Sparta quake. Interestingly, though, I was in college at the time (1968) in Charleston, SC. I now live in this home as it was passed on to me by my parents. And, my son and his wife live in the home that he grew up in that was gifted to him.

As for the metrics in Old_Skeet's stock market barometer, which follows the S&P 500 Index, indicates that the Index is extremely overbought at this time with a reading of 120. Since, I am fully invested based upon my asset allocation, with a 5% overweight in the income area of my portfolio due to low cash yields I am presently in a cash build mode while I await better investing opportunities on the equity side of my portfolio. Generally, I would have trimmed equities from present 40% to 35% but most of my equity value positions are the good dividend generators and my growth positions have offered growth production for the portfolio. So, for the equity side I now sit and watch.

Many may remember that I was an equity buyer during the downdraft that came back in March into early April; and, I have been trimming my equity allocation as it reached about 50% of my portfolio as the market rebounded. Thus, I began an equity trimming process until recently. Presently, I am at about 40% equity splity about evenly between value and growth with about 65% being domestic and 35% foreign.

Again, thanks to those that were concerned about me and family. I can assure you it is most appreciated.

Wishing all ... a Blessed Day!

Skeet

• edited August 2020
    “Many may remember that I was an equity buyer during the downdraft that came back in March into early April ”

Hi Skeet, I remember that many were equity buyers during the downdraft in March and early April. In hindsight, it was like shooting ducks in a barrel - though there existed no certainty at the time. Following are the closing numbers for March 12 I posted that day. Note that gold closed almost $500 cheaper per ounce than today. The miners fell 11.36% that one day alone. And there was at least one other double-digit drop for them in the same week.

My March 12 Post

Today’s Numbers 3/12/20
    hank
    March 12 edited March 12
    in Off-Topic

Index / Close / % Change

Dow 21200.85 -9.99
    Dow Transports 7257.58 -10.69
    Dow Utilities 723.81 -10.91
    S&P 500 2480.68 -9.51
    Nasdaq 7201.8 -9.43
    Nasdaq 100 7263.65 -9.27
    Russel 2000 1132.38 -10.43
    VIX Index 76.83 42.54
    10 Year Gov't Yield 0.88 0.44
    Spot Gold 1569.7 -3.98
    Spot Silver 15.66 -6.52
    GDX-Gold Miners 22.31 -11.36
    Crude Oil 30.98 -6.06
    Dollar Index 97.37 0.89
    Euro Spot 1.12 -0.73
    Japanese 10 Year -0.06 -72.73
    Shanghai SE 2923.49 -1.52
    Long Bond 20-year 177.62 -1.61

Source: Bloomberg
    March 12, 2020

Did my best to cut / paste these numbers. Thought folks might be especially interested today.
    (Clandestine OP - no link)

If you’re “heaving” right now, it might not be due to the Coronavirus.

• Hi @hank, Yes ... I have already done the equity heave ho. Now back to my normal equity allocation of 40% equity now that equities have become richly priced by many metrics. Ain't it nice when a plan comes together! Not a question ... a fact. Take care as I'm thinking we both have smiles. Skeet
  • edited August 2020
    “I'm thinking we both have smiles.”

@Old_Skeet,

All smiles are relative.

I’ve grown the nest-egg substantially since retiring in ‘98, even while taking distributions. What bothers me is that it has been done by accepting more risk than I think is appropriate for someone in retirement. Short-term rates have been mired in the mud for at least a decade. Wouldn’t it be nice to pull 5-7% yearly with a relatively safe, secure investment? Yes - long bonds have outperformed, but those invested in them may not appreciate fully the risk they are taking.

Back to who was buying in March ... Here’s a damn near classic post by @Derf. I regret giving him a rough time than. I didn’t disagree with buying in increments, as I was doing at the time, but I felt at the time his post went overboard in its enthusiasm. Turned out I was wrong. March 20 in retrospect really was “Another Buying Opportunity”.

Derf’s March 20 Thread

@Old_Skeet - I’ve managed to “misdirect” your original purpose here. If the ground starts shaking again, please let us know!

• @Old_Skeet- It struck me that I was sounding a bit dismissive of your 5.1. Far from it... a 5.1 in the wrong place with the wrong type of construction can do plenty of damage, although probably less than one of your major hurricanes. Having lived in northern CA for most of my life a 5.1 isn't particularly remarkable out here... unless, as we sometimes wonder, is it only a precursor to a really big one?

Glad to hear that you got through it in good shape. There are in fact a couple of major fault lines in the Eastern U.S., and the Carolinas seem to be right on top of one:

• @hank and @derf ... In the past when equity opportunity comes I have been a buyer through loading some equity ballast and/or a spiff position. And, when equities become richly prices as they presently are I've been one to trim my equity position. And, then repeat the process. Going forward I'm thinking investors are going to have to become more active within their portfolio to generate the better returns over just investing money in the markets and let organic growth take place. I don't see myself becoming a full fledged trader (as some posters are) but I do feel one needs to take advantage of stock market pull backs when they present themselves. In short words, put some money to work buying the dips and then sell the rips. Anyway, this is what I have done and I plan to continue to do. I am happy to be reminded that the two of you also profited from the recent stock market swoon. I know, I have. I wonder how many others on the board did as well? Take care. Skeet
  • edited August 2020
    Well I made a quick 5k, figured that would cover the increased cost of having virtually everything delivered instead of shopping in person, so took the money and ran.

What concerns me most about the future is that almost all existing defined benefit pension plans are premised upon a fairly high annual rate of return. At our ages, my cohort is likely going to be fine. But what on earth is going to happen to the younger folks who are dependant upon various pension schemes for their income?

• edited August 2020
    Thanks @Old_Joe for the graph. I feel my home is on top of a huge rock mass below as I feel the shock waves more than most in the area. In an eathquake certain construction will fair better than others for sure. My home being built with real 2x4's and 2x10's with a brick facade has withstood a couple huricanes Hugo being one and now a couple earthquakes with only minor damage. The one in 1968 which was small compaired to the recent one did damage to the home where the one this past weekend being stronger did none. Years back, we could feel city buses when they passed the house and rumbled through the neighborhood. So, I feel I'm on top of a huge rock mass below me. The guestion, I ask myself ... Is this good (or bad) as vibration does get transmitted into the structure?

• "The guestion, I ask myself ... Is this good (or bad) as vibration does get transmitted into the structure?"

Yes. :(
  • edited August 2020
    Hi @Old_Joe, Look at Greece, their great society worked until it didn't with the governemnt elected promissing retirement and social programs to its citizens that were grossly underfunded. I'm thinking that is what will happen here. Promised high dollar retirement pensions and social programs that only get partially paid.

In the not too distant future I look for some cities and states to go bankrupt. After all ... Detroit did just that with some (with pensions) getting pennies on the dollar.
  • @Old_Skeet- Yes sir, that's the way that I see it also.

-break-

With respect to "your" earthquake, here's an article that you might find interesting.

It's from an "earthquake info site" that I frequently check.
  • @Old_Joe ... Thanks for the link. Skeet
  • @Old_Skeet- that article is going to tell you more than you ever wanted to know about earthquakes in your area. :)