Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Things that make you go "hmmmm"

Today's entry: T Rowe Price filed a 497 - statement of material change - form with the SEC in which they announced that even if the S&P 500 and other broad-based indexes evolve in such a way that they are no longer diversified portfolios, Price's index funds will continue to track them.

Hmmmm ... I wonder what made them start to worry about that possibility?

David

Comments

• I concur with the "hmmm". I wonder if someone should ask them.....
  • edited August 2020
    Wow, that's .... interesting. I'd have expected Vanguard to be the first one to say something like that.
  • Yeah, so ... like many I am thinking when (no longer if) to get back in,
    and thinking even more sadly that the DJ drop to 24k or even 26k simply is not going to happen

Therefore is the fact of the runup drivers being the mega top 6 an argument for RSP? or CAPE?

Or is it an argument against, meaning the biggest kids get ever stronger during this time, and hence smarter to stick w QQQ and VONG?
  • Across all accounts I'm about 75% in the market, nearly all in equities & equity funds. The remainder is mostly cash I've been trying to put to work for a while (few opportunities) or cash raised by stuff I bought in Feb that's run up to insanely high STCG profits that to not close them out would be crazy.

My plan right now is to continue nibbling opportunistically on stocks I want to build big(ger) positions in for the long-long term and capitalize on volatility between now and November. My hope is to go into 2021 with a very small cash pile, even if all I've done is move $$$ into my existing OEFs. But as always, I'll take what the market gives me.
  • @rforno : What do you consider insanely high STCG profits. Best I could come up with during recent fall - rise was 12% profit. But if one put money to work on the lowest drop day for market , I'd guess profit would be another 3% to 4% profit.
    And if you sold , I'm guessing it was in retirement account ?
    As for me ,dry powder went both ways , so no sales so far.

Stay Safe, Derf

• If I make a surprising 25-50% on a stock in 2-3 months, especially if it was not expected given my own view of the markets and the underlying item(s) in question, I consider that worthy of locking in the gains. And no, this is all in taxable. My 403(b) is on autopilot and 100% invested in a single American Fund (RWMGX).
    Derf said:

@rforno : What do you consider insanely high STCG profits. Best I could come up with during recent fall - rise was 12% profit. But if one put money to work on the lowest drop day for market , I'd guess profit would be another 3% to 4% profit.
    And if you sold , I'm guessing it was in retirement account ?
    As for me ,dry powder went both ways , so no sales so far.

Stay Safe, Derf

• @rforno: If I'm reading you right, your $$$ went into stocks only. Secondly you took me by surprise that you have only one fund in 403(b). You must have a great deal of faith in that fund.
    Thanks for your reply, Derf

• My investments are nearly entirely in equities and equity funds, correct.

And yes, I do have faith in that 403(b) fund and the company behind it.
    Derf said:

@rforno: If I'm reading you right, your $$$ went into stocks only. Secondly you took me by surprise that you have only one fund in 403(b). You must have a great deal of faith in that fund.
    Thanks for your reply, Derf

• After selling some of my funds in March/April, I tiptoed back into the market with some minor positions at Schwab: OLGAX 41% return MGGPX 40% return. If I see my profit melting away, I'll sell these without a second thought.
  • @Derf: I'm pretty much out of the market at the present time, as we are in our 80s and have very decent pension and SS income. In our building phase we did very well with American Funds, and Washington Mutual in particular. What little we have in the market is still mostly in American Funds.
  • edited August 2020
    DODFX off 13.37% this year. Lipper ranks it at the bottom (1/5) in total return, capital preservation, tax efficiency and consistency . (But 5 in expenses ). M* gives it a 3. I know some smart people that own and like it. All I can make out is that it’s 30% invested in financials. That’s even more than for DODGX. I’d probably take a spec on it, but only after a bigger pullback.

And check out TCELX - 9 months old. Up nearly 40% YTD. (Did we call that one right last December?)
  • @hank: TCELX Mutual fund with a rocket booster !!! We being ?
    Stay safe, Derf
  • edited August 2020
    Deleted
  • utterly shameless. Blatant. In yer face. "We don't care about election integrity, and you shouldn't, either. National security??? What's THAT? Where's the PROFIT in THAT???" I'm screaming in disgust and rage, within my soul, after reading OJ's post.
  • edited August 2020
    Deleted
  • Please do try to keep politics in Off-Topic.

David