Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

    Support MFO

  • Donate through PayPal

Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are ‘Losers’ and ‘Suckers’

«134

Comments

  • Mark, we already know that Donald Trump is a sociopath. We already know about his binary view about winners and losers. This is not new information.

    Trump's supporters will not vote differently because of this news item. They do not care about his character. Trump's opponents already know how they will vote. So why post this *here* on an investment forum where things have gotten too hot politically? It just fans flames that are already burning our brains out.
  • Ben...how do you think our vets will react when they hear their CIC say when reviewing a burial at Arlington... "I don’t get it. What was in it for them?"

    A survey conducted by Military Times indicates that Trump's approval rating within US military is now underwater...this latest report won't help.





  • edited September 3
    [email protected] for posting this. A line rumbling around somewhere in my brain .....

    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do (or say) nothing.”
  • tRumpster's lack of integrity and character are already well-established. That article from Mark drives it home--- painfully. But his base won't care. And if he's re-elected, we're all screwed. His minions are willing to do and say anything for him.
  • edited September 3
    @Ben, I agree with a lot of what you say. Things are heated. Do you think it’s all going to die down on November 4 and we’ll all “live happily ever after ...“ as at the end of a Disney movie?

    I hope you realize that by commenting initially on Mark’s post, you granted it much more attention than it might otherwise have received. Only posts with at least 1 comment are bumped over to the more widely read Discussions+ section here.
  • edited September 3
    @Ben:

    1) It's an Off-Topic post. Don't click on it if you don't care for it.
    2) As a veteran I thought other veterans might find it of interest especially when 45 claims to love our military and our veterans. Lie much?
    3) I had thought that the honorable John McCain was the only one who fell into this category. Guess I was wrong.
    4) f you have no respect for those who have provided the rights and freedom that allow you to make comments like this then you deserve to be called out here, there and everywhere.

    As Hank noted “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do (or say) nothing.”
  • I *hope* they will react by marching en masse into the White House and either throwing the Imposter President out the window or arresting him. Hmm, can there be a court martial of a commander-in-chief ? But will this latest revelation surprise anyone? I doubt it. Of course his approval rating within the military is low. The military depends on proper behavior and observing protocol at all levels. This man has contempt for all of that.
    PRESSmUP said:

    Ben...how do you think our vets will react when they hear their CIC say when reviewing a burial at Arlington... "I don’t get it. What was in it for them?"

    A survey conducted by Military Times indicates that Trump's approval rating within US military is now underwater...this latest report won't help.





  • hank said:

    [email protected] for posting this. A line rumbling around somewhere in my brain .....

    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do (or say) nothing.”

    I agree but it does not say that repeating over and over the same things to those who already agree is going to do anything to topple evil.
  • Crash said:

    tRumpster's lack of integrity and character are already well-established. That article from Mark drives it home--- painfully. But his base won't care. And if he's re-elected, we're all screwed. His minions are willing to do and say anything for him.

    I agree. That's my point.
  • hank said:

    @Ben, I agree with a lot of what you say. Things are heated. Do you think it’s all going to die down on November 4 and we’ll all “live happily ever after ...“ as at the end of a Disney movie?

    I hope you realize that by commenting initially on Mark’s post, you granted it much more attention than it might otherwise have received. Only posts with at least 1 comment are bumped over to the more widely read Discussions+ section here.

    I didn't realize I was calling attention to the post. I think the content is worthy of being known. Of course it is. I was saying that here on this forum right now it might not be the best time and place to share it. Supporters of Donald Trump are posting irritating false information for the sole purpose of bothering those who do not support him with the false claim that so long as "left -wing" (which actually means "reasonable centrist people") people post things the barrage will continue. This was truthfully countered with the observation that comments that dispute false information did not originate in a first post but were responses. With a first post about the Trump's awfulness appearing that argument is no longer true. See what I mean?

  • Mark said:

    @Ben:

    1) It's an Off-Topic post. Don't click on it if you don't care for it.

    I do care for it. I care very much. I regretted the timing. That's all.

  • Disgusting comments from a wanna-be man, military coward, and loser 'president.'
  • Even though many have already made up their minds, it is worthwhile posting these articles.
    1. The audience also includes independents or swing voters.
    2. There are impressions and there are facts. If there are articles quoting verifiable facts, they are useful, for those who are open to the possibilities of our impressions being not correct (supported by facts)
    3. Repetition can blunt the message, but it can also make it available to those who have not seen it before.
    4. Some have made up their mind and will never change is also a perception.
    5. Posting certain articles can mean a lot to the poster - see Mark's follow-up - due to their own experience.
  • CiC, bwahahaha

    thank god for mil integrity in this day and age
  • edited September 4
    It's unfortunate that our "strong", "patriotic" president was unable to prove his mettle in Vietnam due to those troublesome bone spurs. His contempt for service members who were killed or captured is despicable. How can our service members respect this Commander-in-Chief?
  • They can't. They hold their noses and go where they're sent.
  • Is anyone bothered by the fact that the article is based largely (entirely?) on unnamed sources? I know what Trump said about McCain (shameful), but I think it was pretty clear those guys hated each other, and haters say things simply to cause pain. I have openly acknowledged that Trump's integrity is very clearly an issue (the biggest one in my mind) but an article like this eclipses the boundaries of fair play. The bias on this board also showed it's hand. Imagine if someone posted an article about what unnamed sources said to attack Biden's integrity. I doubt a slew of posters would jump in to make comments based on the assumption that the story was "fact."
  • wxman123 said:

    Is anyone bothered by the fact that the article is based largely (entirely?) on unnamed sources? I know what Trump said about McCain (shameful), but I think it was pretty clear those guys hated each other, and haters say things simply to cause pain. I have openly acknowledged that Trump's integrity is very clearly an issue (the biggest one in my mind) but an article like this eclipses the boundaries of fair play. The bias on this board also showed it's hand. Imagine if someone posted an article about what unnamed sources said to attack Biden's integrity. I doubt a slew of posters would jump in to make comments based on the assumption that the story was "fact."

    You know what Trump said about McCain was shameful and you opening acknowledge that Trump's integrity is very clearly an issue.

    It is nice to see that we agree.
  • Howdy folks,

    Everyone is correct and I love you folks.

    Trump cannot understand how anyone could ever do anything that didn't reward them directly in a way that's easily measured - like money. He's not made up that way. We all know this. That's why the Marines that died at Belleau Wood were suckers because they enlisted to fight for their country (sic. and not themselves).

    Now please understand that this is not going to change the mind, nor vote, of a single foamer. Hell, their eyes are glassy and they're chanting not unlike the folks who marched off to Jonestown. What is important that the independents and traditional Republicans (rono resembles this remark) have to be convinced that Trump is bad, Biden is safe and THEY MUST VOTE. And we have to do our best to protect the franchise of anyone of color or living in a city or a state with a Democratic Governor.

    The is the clarion call for all Americans to go take the musket down from over the mantel, saddle up and ride off to war. And yes, folks, simply voting this November WILL cost some of us our life. Many of us will get sick. But people, Trump is our Pearl Harbor and all real Americans, if they love their country and want to defend it, now is their chance. And it's their last chance.

    If Trump is reelected, the United States of America is dead.

    and so it goes,

    peace and wear the damn mask,

    rono

  • rono said:

    Howdy folks,

    Everyone is correct and I love you folks.

    Trump cannot understand how anyone could ever do anything that didn't reward them directly in a way that's easily measured - like money. He's not made up that way. We all know this. That's why the Marines that died at Belleau Wood were suckers because they enlisted to fight for their country (sic. and not themselves).

    Now please understand that this is not going to change the mind, nor vote, of a single foamer. Hell, their eyes are glassy and they're chanting not unlike the folks who marched off to Jonestown. What is important that the independents and traditional Republicans (rono resembles this remark) have to be convinced that Trump is bad, Biden is safe and THEY MUST VOTE. And we have to do our best to protect the franchise of anyone of color or living in a city or a state with a Democratic Governor.

    The is the clarion call for all Americans to go take the musket down from over the mantel, saddle up and ride off to war. And yes, folks, simply voting this November WILL cost some of us our life. Many of us will get sick. But people, Trump is our Pearl Harbor and all real Americans, if they love their country and want to defend it, now is their chance. And it's their last chance.

    If Trump is reelected, the United States of America is dead.

    and so it goes,

    peace and wear the damn mask,

    rono

    Just a tad overstated, but you are entitled to your opinion. I have a different view. Mainly, prior to covid the country was doing good to great economically. Trump's economic policies certainly did not do much/anything to hurt people of color. He stood up to China, not enough to be sure, but at least something. I also like NATO partners paying their "fair share" (why do dems love that domestically?) as one example of change for the better, and many others. I'd venture to say if Bill Clinton implemented the same policies the dems would be cheering. So Trump is not a great moral man, and that definitely matters, but I wholly disagree that Biden is "safe" or that he would do a better job.
  • edited September 4
    If the article was based on one anonymous source I might be a tad skeptical. However it came from several unnamed sources and he also had this history of calling our military leaders stupid and incapable in addition to disparaging Senator McCain. So NO, I am not bothered by the fact unnamed sources were used. Try again.
  • edited September 4
    The sources will come out in time. One (as yet unconfirmed) source was John Kelly.

    Marine Corps generals who left the Trump administration

    image

    Story: Business Insider
  • msf
    edited September 4
    wxman123 said:

    Is anyone bothered by the fact that the article is based largely (entirely?) on unnamed sources? I know what Trump said about McCain (shameful), but I think it was pretty clear those guys hated each other, and haters say things simply to cause pain.

    Simply to cause pain? To whom? McCain is dead, and still the shameful statements come pouring out. Does that hate explain, let alone justify, his inflicting pain not on a man who can no longer feel pain, but upon the man's family and descendants? A god complex? As it is written:
    he will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, to the third and the fourth generation.’
    Mark said:

    If the article was based on one anonymous source I might be a tad skeptical. However it came from several unnamed sources and he also had this history of calling our military leaders stupid and incapable in addition to disparaging Senator McCain. So NO, I am not bothered by the fact named sources were used. Try again.

    Aside from his general history of lying, Trump has a history of lying specifically about not having made comments that are on the record. So perhaps his blanket denial of the story confers some credibility. Especially since we know that he did make the McCain comments in the article.

    2016: Asked to respond, Mr. Trump said, “Well, it just shows you how they lie. Number one, I never called John McCain a loser, as you know.

    Today: Trump said Thursday that the story is “totally false.”

  • edited September 4
    ...I believe Trump hated McCain and McCain hated him also, seem them don't get along...Or Am I wrong, Trump hates everybody maybe? Even the nicest best family in Texas - The Bushes. Also the exile Govt of OIH also hated him dearly and joined the other team because he got ~2% of GOP voting in 2016.

    I think if you agree w/ him then he may envy or get along w/ you. IMHO, I do believe he is smarter than the average Bear though; maybe little sharper than Bush Junior
  • edited September 4
    Thanks @JohnN for the above thoughts. (Others take notice.)

    In my life experiences I’ve encountered only a rare few (fewer than 1/100) individuals like him in personality / character traits. Not a trained clinical psychologist, so won’t elaborate further.
  • Worthwhile interview with author of article. Trump thinks military service does not make sense because it is not motivated by big money.

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=yu7Gu8wPdsA&ab_channel=MSNBC
  • edited September 4
    The Atlantic should be ashamed for running such an absurd hit piece. Not only unverified by any real people but actively refuted by several who were there.

    As for Trump's comment about John McCain -- yes, it was really stupid. What many people don't realize however, is that Trump was simply lamely trying to pull off the same joke that Chris rock got such big laughs over. (Apologies for the vulgar language)


  • One of the more striking manifestations of Trump Derangement Syndrome is that people who have always been adamantly opposed to the Vietnam War and adamantly opposed to the military draft, find it easy to castigate Trump for being a "draft dodger".
  • Ben
    edited September 4
    I take your point. It's possible that Trump was joking. But that he privately disparaged McCain by making similar comments is undisputed. So his possible bad joke seems to represent his real feelings. As for the legitimacy of claims in the Atlantic, time will tell.
    His comments in Europe, as far as I can tell, have not been refuted by those in his entourage. They have said that they did not hear him say these things.
Sign In or Register to comment.