Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A lot of red today

edited September 2020 in Other Investing
Only 1 fund in the green. Price’s enhanced bond index fund (PBDIX) gained a bit. Oddly, my Latin America fund PRLAX held up better than most, falling only 0.42%. It’s been rocking up and down like a badly floundering boat for several days now. Hard to understand daily swings as great as 3% on that one. Precious metals fell a bit, but the miners held up better than broader market. PRWCX lagged my other balanced funds for a change. Something came across Bloomberg about those using put options (apparently to generate income and hedge equity exposure) taking a hit today. Not my cup of tea - but PRWCX plays in that area a bit.

The politicians don’t want this in an election year. Expect Congress will get back to the stimulus board if it lasts for long.

Comments

• Same here. Only one fund up: PTIAX. Overall, down -1.01% on the day.
  • Lost twice as much as gain on Wed.
    Stay Safe, Derf
  • I'm happy with funds that don't lose.

VUIAX was up in my taxable. FFRHX and DBLSX were up in my IRA. PIREX and FTHRX were up for my wife's IRA.
  • edited September 2020
    I have one fund that was up slightly today - BCOIX (0.08%).
    VUSFX, which I use in lieu of cash, was flat for the day.
    My other funds were down -0.13% (DODIX) to -3.77% (VWILX).
  • What recovery is this today? Glad I rebalanced several weeks ago. My conservative index bond funds held up today, VBTLX +0.09%, VTABX +0.04%, VSBSX 0.0% while the balanced funds VWINX -0.6% and PRWCX -1.8%. Don't think this pull back is over yet.
  • edited September 2020
    Dows, sp500 may go up next few weeks... Maybe related long overdue correction or covid19 data improving and Techs got knocked down no support

Couple private bonds went up slightly +0.15 to + 0.25%

In two wks many people maybe crying double dip or W recovery. WE will see
  • Good. Equities have been on too much fire for too long in this TINA environment.
  • It was foolish to bid up the stocks. S&P500 lost 3% yesterday. Today it lost another 2.6% so far.
  • I’ll repost this when the transcript is available but the most recent MIB podcast spoke to the benefits of holding dry powder. Obviously I didn’t retain the specifics but it was worth a listen or a quick read when the transcript is available.
    https://ritholtz.com/2020/09/10-friday-am-reads-290/
    https://ritholtz.com/2020/09/10-friday-am-reads-290/

“Be sure to check out our Masters in Business interview this weekend with Morgan Housel, former writer for Motley Fool and WSJ, and partner at Collaborative Funds. His new book, The Psychology of Money: Timeless lessons on wealth, greed, and happiness, will be out September 8th.”
  • edited September 2020
    Nice to read stuff not connected to politics.:) Ritholtz is good - but the link didn’t provide much in the way of his opinions.

Lot of smart people been warning us for years about the excesses. Alas! What to do? Possibly cash at 0% is the “better” option at this time. What do I know? Stan Druckenmiller is another smart one who’s worried about valuations. And a reading of Mutual Fund Observer‘s back issues for several years brings up cautionary flags from David and others. I’m weird. I like Fleckenstein and subscribe to his daily rants. He’s about as bearish on equities as it gets. I don’t recommend him to most because I think he’d scare the **** out of you and have you run to cash - or gold which he likes.

Personally, equities have been good to me for the past 50 years, with a few scary times in between. So, I’m not about to “jump ship”, although at nearly 74, I’m widely diversified with perhaps 30-40% in equities. Some bonds. Some commodities. Some cash. Some hedge-type funds. People don’t think there’s inflation. Look at what you paid for a house or a new addition to your home or a new car 10, 20, 30 years ago and tell me that. Sure, TVs and computers have fallen in price. You can’t eat them, drive them or sleep inside of one.
  • Personally, equities have been good to me for the past 50 years, with a few scary times in between. So, I’m not about to “jump ship”, although at nearly 74, I’m widely diversified with perhaps 30-40% in equities. Some bonds. Some commodities. Some cash. Some hedge-type funds. People don’t think there’s inflation. Look at what you paid for a house or a new addition to your home or a new car 10, 20, 30 years ago and tell me that. Sure, TVs and computers have fallen in price. You can’t eat them, drive them or sleep inside of on
    You are doing fine going forward with your balanced allocation. Lots of uncertainty and volatility now. Being rational is not easy. got luck out when I rebalanced several week ago. Now I can sit back and watch the slow train wreck.
  • hank said:

People don’t think there’s inflation. Look at what you paid for a house or a new addition to your home or a new car 10, 20, 30 years ago and tell me that.

No one but no one thinks there has been no inflation over those spans. I mean, duh. It is more recently where there is reasonable disagreement.
  • edited September 2020
    Reply to: “No one but no one thinks there has been no inflation over those spans.”

@davidrmoran, All that proves is that you and I happen to know different people.(Duh).
    I’ve cautioned you before about making universal blanket assertions and attempting to communicate using such linguistic absolutes .

More to the point, I happen to know some folks that don’t bother to check or challenge their faulty belief by running the multi-decade comparison suggested in my post. These are people, often poorly educated, who live very much “for the day” and likely have problems with credit, delinquency, low standard of living, etc. Most don’t buy new cars. If I wanted to fall into your linguistic trap I might have said “Everybody believes ... ”. But I didn’t. I imagine these people base their misconception on overheard news blurbs about the Federal Reserve fighting to raise inflation to 2% and draw unwarranted inferences from that. And they recall a couple recent years when there was no COLA added to their Social Security check.

A couple excerpts from another work I found for you to read:

The problem: “Universal Quantifiers” is the label for words such as: always, never, all, every, everybody, (nobody) and every time. They are linguistic generalizations that restrict or omit possibilities to see, hear, and feel a different experience. They create boundary conditions around segments of life, based upon past experiences, and they limit our ability to think outside the barn now and in the future. In neuro-linguistic programming terms, they impoverish our model of the world.”

The solution: Consciously replace the word.
    Always – often
    Never – rarely
    Every time – frequently
    Everybody – a lot of people
    All – many

https://www.thinkinoutsidethebarn.com/e-zine-archives/never-ever-syndrome/

Please work on it as it’s a waste of time having to set you straight every time you jump on one of my posts with meaningless comments like that.
  • edited September 2020
    Shaping up to be Yesterday was another good day for small cap value, and value generally.

Of course I know it's Saturday. ;-)
  • Yesterday was another good day for small cap value, and value generally.
    A rotation and broadening the board of entire market is encouraging. Hopefully this trend continues in the coming weeks.
  • @hank

You make it easy to deploy what you object to. Please, name one person on the face of the Earth, anyone, who thinks this:

>> People don’t think there’s inflation. Look at what you paid for a house or a new addition to your home or a new car 10, 20, 30 years ago and tell me that.
  • edited September 2020
    That guy isn't even speaking English. Inflation is inflation. In my grammar school daze, a big station wagon cost about $3,000.00. Makes me giggle, the terminology: "shelter inflation." I guess they mean rent or mortgage. And hasn't Japan been going through deflation for many years? Mom used to send me to the corner supermarket. There aren't ANY more of THOSE--- to get hamburger at $0.39 cents per pound. My wife just got back from Costco. Burger was $3.99/pound. Insurance. Gas. Bottled water. (Who'd have DREAMED of water in a bottle as an everyday commodity, back then? When the water from the tap was trustworthy and tasty? And even if I was locked out of the house, I could still get it.) Tires, vegetables, milk for the kid. Spaghetti, sauce. Coffee, tea. Name me anything that's not been outrageously inflated, since back when soldiers smoked cigarettes for FREE from the USO. Seems to me, I noticed the inflation (in my own lifetime) started in earnest during th LBJ years. He had to pay for the Vietnam debacle--- in which a lot of real patriots of character died in uniform. Not to mention the civilians.
  • edited September 2020
    "a lot of real patriots of character died in uniform"

Losers and suckers!