Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• I wonder how the increased trade barriers will impact U.K.and Europe stocks. At present there is not much details available. Any insight would be welcome from the board.
  • The (only) land border affected is Ireland/Northern Ireland, and an exception was made to make sure things flow freely there--- after all the deliberations and efforts at cooperation between Stormont and Dublin, ever since the Good Friday Accords in the 1990s... Otherwise, I think there's a sigh of relief, because there was NOT a no-deal Brexit, after all. The British fisherman got screwed. And the "deal" that was agreed to contained precious little about how the financial sector will work things out. Direct, simple access to the EU's banks and such is no more. A unified Europe is a step further away, now. The Brits never did adopt the euro. There are one or two others who "joined" without adopting the euro, too. Anyhow, it's hard for me to imagine Europe at war with itself, AGAIN. When I was back visiting Ireland in 2009, the euro was killing me at $1.51. But look at it, now, eh? There will be no more tension in the air about the prospect of a no-deal exit. That, at least is something. A near-term consideration.
  • FWIW, both The Guardian and The Economist see the breakup of Britain as the end result of Brexit, sooner or later.
  • Scotland and Northern Ireland both wanted to remain in the EU. Majorities in both. And I think Gibraltar voted to remain, too. So, I guess that's another border. Although Gibraltar is a territory...
  • « Gib » turned out to be a sticking point in the negotiations. Seems that Spain did OK, although the Spaniards still want the rock as part of their country. Goods and services will continue to flow and passport and immigration procedures have been agreed on.