Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Opinion: Texas shows that when you cannot govern, you lie. A lot.

Unfortunately they're not the only ones.

WaPo Article

Comments

• Yes, typical ultra macho right-wing crap. "Every man for himself". "No govenment interference!"

From a Texas town mayor, yesterday:

“No one owes you or your family anything; nor is it the local government’s responsibility to support you during trying times like this! Sink or swim, it’s your choice! The City and County, along with power providers or any other service owes you NOTHING!,

Except of course when they get into serious trouble, ask for, and gladly accept help from the federal government... aka "all of the rest of us".
  • I've always been under the impression that if you pay for a service said service provider owes you that service. I've got some re-learning to do I guess.
  • Evidently not in Republican territory.
  • And the death of the perhaps most well-known media Liar today lets me breathe easier. I went out and bought pizza. The world is a little better now.
  • edited February 2021
    Governor Abbot requested help from President Biden, who sent generators and most important of all, FEMA.
    https://axios.com/texas-power-outages-generators-biden-diesel-9f90d47f-327f-4d53-8cd6-9a74a2a06ec3.html

In the meantime, many Texans suffer without power and water. The only exception is Ted Cruz who promptly left town to Cancun.
  • Ted Cruz's daughters asked to go on a trip after school was cancelled.
    Mr. Cruz was being a "good dad".

Ted Cruz objected to the certification of Electoral College votes for the presidential election.
    Mr. Cruz was being a "good patriot".

Hopefully, the good people of Texas will justly reward Mr. Cruz for all his "noble" actions so that he will reap what he has sown.
  • Mr. Cruz was being a "good dad".
    He only flew back only after he was caught of leaving town. He should be working with the governor to get the power plants running while getting federal assistance. That is his duty as a senator. He is positioning himself among others to be one of 2024 president candidate.
  • edited February 2021
    Millions of Texans were without electricity, many didn't have running water, and temperatures were frigid. Despite the emergency conditions, Mr. Cruz decided it was an opportune time to ensconse himself at the Ritz-Carlton in Cancún. This incident vividly illustrates that Mr. Cruz is out of touch with his constituents.

"Mr. Cruz had attacked a Democrat, Mayor Stephen Adler of Austin, in December for taking a trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, while telling constituents to 'stay home' during the pandemic. 'Hypocrites,' Mr. Cruz wrote on Twitter."
    Link

Hypocrites indeed!
  • edited February 2021
    @Observant1 , you noted:
    This incident vividly illustrates that Mr. Cruz is out of touch with his constituents.
    This mindset is more to the social class system that he thinks he is a part. Fully, though; he apparently is fully detached from any form of empathy, let alone duty of a U.S. Senator. He does not understand, nor is aware of his deep psychological flaw. Another form of mental illness, he does exhibit.
  • edited February 2021
    “Millions of Texans were without electricity, many didn't have running water, and temperatures were frigid. ...”

I can understand getting out of town. But what I don’t get is Why Mexico? With all the past Latino / Mexican bashng from Cruz and the far right. And the wall”? Has Mexico even paid for it yet?

How about a good ol’ USA location like Key West or Puerto Rico? They can use the money and this wouldn’t seem so damned hypocritical.
  • hank said:

“Millions of Texans were without electricity, many didn't have running water, and temperatures were frigid. ...”

I can understand getting out of town. But what I don’t get is Why Mexico? With all the past Latino / Mexican bashng from Cruz and the far right. And the wall”? Has Mexico even paid for it yet?

How about a good ol’ USA location like Key West or Puerto Rico? They can use the money and this wouldn’t seem so damned hypocritical.

I guess the SOUTH side of the Gulf was quite a bit warmer. And his DAUGHTERS booked the trip. He just "tagged along." Idiot.
  • Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (NY) managed to raise funds to help the Texans,
    “Charity isn’t always a replacement for good governance, but we won’t turn away from helping people in need when things hit the fan,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted.

The funds raised by the progressive lawmaker will go toward 12 food banks and relief organizations, including the Bridge Homeless Recovery Center, Ending Community Homelessness Coalition, Family Eldercare, Feeding Texas and the Houston Food Bank, according to the donations page.

https://msn.com/en-us/news/politics/aoc-raises-2m-for-texas-relief-heads-to-houston-after-blasting-cruz-for-mexico-trip/ar-BB1dQ2xq?li=BBorjTa

Biden has directed FEMA to the relief effort.
  • The MSN article referenced by Sven states:
    "It was also announced Friday that Cruz was named as the ranking Republican member of the Senate Commerce Subcommittee on Aviation Safety, Operations, and Innovation."

You see, Mr. Cruz took the Cancún flight to prepare for his upcoming assignment!

• LOL. Perfect timing.