Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

With housing factored in, inflation’s running at 10% - Randall Forsyth in Barron's

2»

Comments

• edited November 2021
    10 percent, ya. that's rich. I'd feel lucky here if it were only that much.
  • computers are largely cheaper in many senses compared w the last time I needed to upgrade ... what is your timeframe?

wine and spirits, some

many TVs, depending on when you are comparing (1y ago ? for everything)

some housing, in less "desirable" locations (a tautology w RE)

many paid services, lawnwork etc., has gone up, but it is not as though of those guys are getting rich, so do we begrudge them this new labor economy?
  • edited November 2021
    Our state (MI) sets spirit prices for some weird reason. Retailers can charge more if want - but rarely do. Overall, Scotch hasn’t moved much over past several years. One of the better values is Dewars 12-Year at $30 - a noticeable cut above their popular White Label. JW Black, a favorite of mine, runs $40 - occasionally $2 less. Aberfeldy (single malt) at $40 is the best buy going IMHO.

Services seem to be where the prices have risen the most. Noticed big jump picking up a few shirts I had laundered recently. As I remarked on another thread, there’s a 2-3 week wait in our area for car / truck repair. A $335 bill for replacing a front wheel bearing on my pickup nearly knocked me over. But when I checked online, the price was right in the ballpark.
  • edited November 2021
    To buy a house costs more, but to rent an apartment in a big covid-wracked city costs less than before the pandemic in many cases:
    https://cnbc.com/2021/05/08/us-cities-where-rents-are-going-down-apartment-guide-report.html

https://zumper.com/blog/rental-price-data/
  • Yes, for now, but from general news reports housing rentals are starting to catch up again out here in the SF Bay Area.