Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

"Politically Correct" Idiocy

edited May 2022 in Off-Topic
Published articles asking for public help in identifying criminal suspects, with no racial description, drawing, or picture.

I had believed that our San Francisco Chronicle was perhaps unique in this, but the New York Times is another one:

This, this morning, from the NY Times:

‘We Need All Eyes on This’: Police Officers Hunt for Subway Gunman

The police released images of the suspect who fatally shot a 48-year-old man on the Q train on Sunday, and they asked for help in locating the gunman.

“We need all eyes on this,” Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell wrote on Twitter early Monday, along with two pictures of the person who the police believe pulled out a gun Sunday and fatally shot a commuter in an unprovoked attack.

Except that the Times didn't show any pictures. Nor mention what race the gunman might be.

How very helpful. How very PC. How very, very stupid.

Comments

• +1

NYC got problems I’m afraid.
  • edited May 2022
    You do see the link to the photos in the story, right? It's not exactly the most revealing photo by the way as the guy is wearing a mask:
    https://twitter.com/NYPDPC/status/1528699680443355137?cxt=HHwWgsCi0dGQhLcqAAAA
    So where is the political correctness here?
  • Police: "‘We Need All Eyes on This’"
    NY Times: Well, maybe some other eyes, but not ours.
  • Thanks for the correction @LewisBraham. Masks are necessary but also enable some to hide identity.
  • @old_joe The most popular comments under the linked photos are:
    "Masks conceal the identity of criminals. True since Highwaymen in the dark ages."
    "This photo is useless."
    I'm not really sure what exactly you wanted the Times to do. They provided the link to the photos in the story.
  • I've called the cops here a few times over things going on across the street at my old address. One of their standard, initial questions was about race. I was, truthfully, surprised, in this PC Age. "What's his race?" ...I dunno, of course, I said. But I can tell you he's brown skinned, wearing a white thing and very light-colored pants, and a hoodie. ....... But it certainly helps to identify a subject they're looking for. Since that's the POINT, eh?