Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Tyson Foods Stock Slumps / Chickens on the Rise

edited August 2022 in Other Investing
STORY

Yuppers! The package pictured in the linked story is actually a decent product when you’re in a hurry and just want to pop something in the microwave. And chicken tends to be lower in calories than beef. However, been passing it up on trips to the grocery. A year ago the 22-ounce package could be had for between 6 and 7 dollars. Now it’s around $11 for same product. Expensive bird!

I do know that table corn, which usually sells for 25 cents a cob this time of year, has been going for as much as $1 apiece this summer. And ISTM chicks like to eat corn (the cheaper “field corn“ variety). Why we invest - To maintain the purchasing power of our money over time.

(It appears both Barron’s and the WSJ have more extensive coverage on Tyson. However, am unable to link them.)

Related Story: Wacky Reason Price of Chicken is on the Rise

Comments

• I eat A LOT of chicken, and have noticed a rise in price. I buy mine at the West Side Market in Cleveland, which tend to be from more local suppliers. Last time I bought a roaster it was about $15...2 or 3 dollars more than a year ago. If I'm buying thighs for the grill, they're really about the same, even at the local market.

Sweet corn prices?!? Oh my...
  • edited August 2022
    With respect to sweet corn, the prices are indeed much higher than in previous years. The market we use for meat and a few other products is noted for good quality but very high prices: sweet corn the other day was $1.29 PER EAR!!!

For contrast, the sweet corn from the Safeway chain is locally grown, consistently excellent quality, and typically 50¢ per ear, with frequent sales of 3/$1.00. Over the July 4th weekend they really had a special: 10¢ per ear- limit of 6 ears.

It pays to shop around, which is very easy using InstaCart. Yes, InstaCart's prices are a little high, but since we're both over 80, avoiding Covid and not carrying heavy grocery bags it's worth it. We typically source groceries from 3 or 4 different stores, including Costco.
  • Corn crop uses lots of fertilizer. Russia-Ukraine war has disrupted fertilizer supplies too and many farmers are switching to soybean (that retain soil nutrients) and other crops rather than have low-yielding corn crops.
  • Costco has their giant rotisserie chicken for less than $5. Of course that up front membership fee can be an issue.
  • Mark said:

Costco has their giant rotisserie chicken for less than $5. Of course that up front membership fee can be an issue.

And the hot dogs are still $1.50. Which reminds me of when the new CEO was contemplating raising that price:

When Costco's current CEO Craig Jelinek once approached Jim Sinegal, then CEO, about raising the price of the hot dog, Sinegal told him, "If you raise the [price of the] effing hot dog, I will kill you. Figure it out."

https://www.businessinsider.in/retail/news/costcos-founder-once-told-the-companys-current-ceo-if-you-raise-the-price-of-the-effing-hot-dog-i-will-kill-you/articleshow/78240301.cms
  • Yup! Folks come for the hot dogs and stay for the shopping.