Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PSTL. Postal Realty Trust

I'm not too worried about THIS one. Famous last words, eh?
All those years ago, it was an excessively, superfluously, ridiculously STOOPID idea to make the US Post Office a semi-private company. If the P.O. OWNED its buildings, how much less would the taxpayer be responsible for? Not only with the price of postage stamps, but salaries and pensions and everything else???????? However, since the Postal Service LEASES properties from other owners, I suppose that makes ME a part-owner, too. Congratulate me. Or curse at me. You choose.
https://postalrealtytrust.com/

https://www.morningstar.com/stocks/xnys/pstl/quote

https://www.wsj.com/market-data/quotes/PSTL

https://www.wallstreetzen.com/stocks/us/nyse/pstl/stock-forecast

https://www.barrons.com/market-data/stocks/pstl/research-ratings?mod=quotes#subnav

https://www.wsj.com/market-data/quotes/PSTL/financials

Comments

• I'd STILL like to know when the computers decided to add a period where I never wanted one to be. Shit!
  • This seems an annoying phone thing. My Android phone assumes that if I add multiple spaces, I must have forgotten to add period and it auto-adds one. Phone auto-edit does lots of other silly things.
  • This seems an annoying phone thing. My Android phone assumes that if I add multiple spaces, I must have forgotten to add period and it auto-adds one. Phone auto-edit does lots of other silly things.

Yes, well, I'm on an Apple laptop, not a phone. I guess the damn thing is infected the same way. Thanks, yogi.
  • edited August 2022
    Hi sir /@crash
    Volume too low...anything govt touches/ rent/ run may turned to doodoos...

Look at/ you may like these :
    BX
    Vnq
    DRE
    Igr

• edited August 2022
    @Thank you, @JohnN. :). That's right: we don't want any big, fat doggy poopies. Gov't loves to screw up, but gov't is not the enemy. I'm thinking that the Post Office is a solid bet. I can't see it rolling over and dying. I also looked at ABR. Big dividends. But it's a step removed from a true REIT.
  • edited August 2022
    You maybe right
    Sure $$
    It's like social security never default nor bankrupt

Maybe buy 20 50 shares ABR PSTL once get paid ck next wk. Abr also solid company, good volume, stability, good fundament, forgot had it on my radar 2 3 yrs ago
    lol
    Good finds Good luck
  • edited August 2022
    anything govt touches/ rent/ run may turned to doodoos...
    I sometimes look at the government buildings constructed downtown during the Great Depression by the WPA and realize they are ten times more solid, prettier and stable than anything the private sector has built since. The Hoover Dam, our electrical grid and our roads and bridges were once the envy of the world until we were told that government can’t do anything and starved government of infrastructure capital so things started to fall apart. I’d be tempted to turn the saying on its head: Anything the private sector touches turns to doodoo. There are plenty of examples of this regarding disastrous privatization of once public government run infrastructure and services. But that isn’t true either. The private sector, properly regulated by government, can produce nice things. It’s called having a functional society.
  • edited August 2022
    @LewisBraham - Agree with your above synopsis. I occasionally stay a few days at a resort in Hilton Head. It is inside a very large gated community along the coast with many private residences as well. A unique experience for me. I am struck by the difference in life styles inside and outside the gates. Inside are private lakes, golf courses, hiking trails, bike paths, roads etc. - all in immaculate condition. It appears they have their own well financed fire, police & public safety departments. There are so many BMWs parked inside you’d think it was a BMW auto dealers’ convention … And, Oh. I almost forgot the tennis courts, swimming pools and easy access to the coastline.

So where I’m going with this … Is the ability of the very rich to afford their own private enclaves one reason many care not to support public roads, parks, schools and safety? I’ll take it a step further and say many of these “upper crust” individuals can afford to buy a new BMW every year or two if the terrible public roads damage the old one. And, for any trip over 100 miles they’re much more likely to travel by private plane or chopper.

Just asking. It’s a suspicion I’ve long held. Back to your summation, there are many beautiful governmental / educational structures from the public works programs of the 1930s / 40s standing in our area. Absolutely magnificent.
  • +1 hank Just like the seniors who don't want to pay property tax in their exclusive neighborhood because they don't have any children in public school !
  • edited August 2022
    @hank I suspect you're right. I believe the private sector works best with wants and the public sector best with needs. The government has no business manufacturing luxury items and the private sector has no business controlling our water supply. If the private sector is to be involved with essentials like water, it must be heavily regulated by government to prevent abuse. The private sector also tends to work better for society (as opposed to for itself) when supply and demand are at equilibrium, but if demand greatly outstrips supply, say, of a life-saving drug, again abuses often occur--price gouging, etc. Obviously, monopolies can control supply.

Gated communities truly are their own world, as you said. I wonder, though, how many people living in them once went to public schools, have received FEMA protection for their coastal communities or value the troops protecting our nation as much as they claim to. They also I imagine have to leave the gated community sometimes and drive on a public road, and they probably appreciated the government stock and bond bailouts of 2008-09 and 2020. But many I suspect believe the "self-made man" mythology, and feel they don't have to give back to the country that actually helped make them. I wouldn't know for sure as I don't recall ever being inside a gated community. Maybe I've blotted the memory out if I have.
  • edited August 2022
  • I am reminded of my sister's son in law in Texas who objects paying taxes for AMYTHING!

What about road maintenance? "I have a 4 wheel drive Tundra and can go off road"

what about education? " My kids go to private schools. Why should I pay for anyone else's kids?"

What about police protection? " I have enough guns at home to not need them"

Of course he is a public University graduate, a stock broker with lots of middle class clients. I can't get an answer from him about where his clients will come from in the next decade or two, if we followed his demands.

There are serious proposals to eliminate Medicare and Social Security. Who do the rich people think will be around to staff the nursing homes, their landscapers and the grocery stores?