Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Are you checking your portfolio too often?

edited October 2022 in Other Investing
Warren Buffett doesn't have a computer on his desk ...

“Nicholas Taleb, in his profound book, 'Fooled by Randomness', talks about the difference between noise and meaning. He uses the example of the happily retired dentist who builds himself a nice trading desk in his attic, aiming to spend every business day watching the market while sipping decaffeinated coffee. He watches his inventory of stocks via a spreadsheet with live price updates.”

Chart shows that near-term “gains” or “losses” are relatively insignificant when compared to a portfolio’s longer term probability of success. (Cannot vouch for the accuracy of the statistics - but they appear reasonable.)

Read full story here

Comments

• Right advice, wrong audience. If you're reading MFO and posting here, you probably check your portfolio a lot more than recommended.
  • edited October 2022
    My portfolio is tracked via M* Portfolio Manager.
    I often check daily performance.
    There is no really good reason for this since I don't trade too often.
  • edited October 2022
    I feel it’s educational to follow a portfolio. By so doing one comes to understand and appreciate the interplay among many different types of investments. However, to a degree, it’s also counterproductive. Suspect a lot of us could post better returns if we stopped looking for at least 5 years.

A scatterbrained article citing a half dozen or so knowledgeable investors. But there seems to be a few pertinent take-aways. One relates to the mental stress of checking too often. Another suggests that we are prone to sell too early after a quick gain - diminishing the potential for far greater gains.

Another Good Link - Study shows nearly half of all investors check their performance at least once a day.
  • I don't know, define too often. I treat my portfolio like a garden. Neither probably needs my fiddling on a daily basis but I enjoy looking just the same, just in case. YMMV.
  • If one is mentally and emotionally stable (a large positive asset in life and investing); determining how frequently to review one's investment positions should not cause a problem.

I/we worked hard for the money we have invested; and treat investing as an ongoing education. If we don't pay attention, the learning stops and it is time to contact an advisor who you think has as much skill as you.

With observing selected market information; not just one's holdings, it is possible to develop some amount of intuition that won't cause one's investments great harm and should be a positive.

And as @Mark noted; there is satisfaction in growing a garden and investments, too.

I review markets at least once every business day, if I'm home. A weekly review of the portfolio finds its place on the weekend.

From the paper print days some 40 years ago through the value I find at Bloomberg and MFO; I'm a wiser person to investing.

Satisfied I am.

Lastly, writing about advisors above......I'm trying to imagine their phone calls and emails to clients about the choices made, and the YTD returns.

Remain curious,
    Catch
  • "Are you checking your portfolio too often?"
    • If it's down, yes.
    • If it's up, no.
  • edited October 2022
    I check my portfolio daily performance relative to PRWCX and also the daily relative price movement of portfolio constituents. I check my cash balance occasionally (no schedule), depending on how aggressively I am buying or selling. I check my portfolio balance once a year, around Dec 31.

PRWCX beats me more often than not. Because I beat PRWCX once in a while, I tell myself I have a hope to get better. When it beats me more regularly, I will take the cue and adopt a passive approach.
  • edited October 2022
    "we must cultivate our garden."
    ---Marcel Proust. oops. correction: VOLTAIRE.

I like to check-in on the portfolio more often, now that I own some single stocks. Rather like spending time with my garden, just watching it grow. seems to me it does most of its growing overnight, in the dark. but i still like to sit out there, among the flowers. and the vegetables. call it conscientiousness. also, alertness, and satisfaction. i don't trade a lot. still building some of my positions. so i look at the markets and the portfolio to catch good entry moments, to buy more shares, not trading in and out.
  • edited October 2022
    Interesting responses. Thanks. With millions of ordinary folks daily pulling up their portfolios on every conceivable device, gardening wouldn’t be the first thing I’d think of. Appears to me more like a tortuous high speed race track with some cars occasionally running off the edge, rolling over and burning …

For @Mark, @Catch22, @Crash and others who liken portfolios to gardens, here’s a great opening scene from “On a Clear Day You Can See Forever” (1970) with a very young and lovely Barbara Streisand.

• edited October 2022
    @Crash Good quote, but Voltaire, not Proust.
  • Thanks @LewisBraham. Helped me correct a slip too!
  • edited October 2022
    Oops, Thank you for the correction, @LewisBraham. And @hank: pretty damn lovely. Even if it is Streisand. ;)
  • @hank: I loved Robert Goulet's version of this one. Frankly, a better voice than this fellow.
  • edited October 2022
    Nice @Crash. For those not “in-the-know” that’s (the top one) the very talented Yves Montand who co-stared with Streisand in the same film. Just recently discovered and watched this gem. Those who were around in the 70s, I think, would really enjoy this one.

An apology of sorts. I wasn’t really asking folks if they check their portfolios too often or implying anyone did. The thread’s caption is simply the title of the article I attached. I’ve discovered that since broadening out from owning only mutual funds to now having ETFs and stocks in the mix that I do check a lot more often than before. Enough that I’m concerned it might affect my good judgment in terms of buying and selling. Trying hard to maintain a long term focus and not react to all the incoming static day to day.

Thanks again for all the comments. I do understand the garden analogy. Makes perfect sense. Just playing a bit of Devil’s Advocate.
  • BaluBalu said:

I check my portfolio daily performance relative to PRWCX and also the daily relative price movement of portfolio constituents. I check my cash balance occasionally (no schedule), depending on how aggressively I am buying or selling. I check my portfolio balance once a year, around Dec 31.

PRWCX beats me more often than not. Because I beat PRWCX once in a while, I tell myself I have a hope to get better. When it beats me more regularly, I will take the cue and adopt a passive approach.

I understand checking your portfolio against PRWCX.

What do you mean by also checking against the daily relative price movement of your portfolio constituents? And, how do you use that information?
  • edited October 2022
    @Crash: Voltaire’s Candide and its famous conclusion are quite profound investigations into what we humans can do in the face of a world which is a mean place. Voltaire attacks a philosophy then known as optimism which posited that this is the best of all possible worlds. Candide and his companions experience many horrors (the Lisbon earthquake of 1755, senseless wars, unmitigated violence, the loss of a fortune in gold, etc.) during their whirlwind tour of two continents. The philosopher Pangloss (a straw man mouthing Leibniz’s brand of optimism) is clearly ridiculous; Voltaire intends that we reject what he called « metaphysics, » by which he meant organized religion. « But we must cultivate our garden » comes in response to yet another foolish comment from Pangloss who recommends consulting a highly placed clergyman about the plight of the group of survivors who wind up in Turkey on a small farm. Candide’s comment literally encourages gardening, but more broadly urges us to take care of our side of the street, support our friends and loved ones despite their flaws, and reminds us to keep it simple.

Voltaire kept meticulous accounts of his business dealings and his gardens at his chateau at Ferney. Maybe he checked his portfolio a lot, it seems likely. Proust, however, was profligate, even going so far as to buy an airplane for his chauffeur with whom he was in love.
  • @BenWP
    Goodness, that was enlightening. I truly appreciate it.
  • @BenWP- That's the main reason that I don't have a chauffeur- I couldn't afford to buy her an airplane. Besides, my wife wouldn't be at all happy.:)
  • @Old_Joe: check out Alfred Agnostelli on Wikipedia. FWIIW, I have said that the only drawback to my two-seater is that I can pick up only one consenting adult at a time. However, I have never said that to my wife.