Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Need help- iPhone SE

I have never used a "smartphone", and was just given an iPhone SE by a friend who got a new model. Can anyone tell me where an old-fashioned text (pdf or similar) user's manual might be found? All I can find online are Utube videos, which I can't use because my hearing is severely compromised, or stuff from Apple which want to talk about all sorts of exotic subjects. I'm not bad at using my Mac computers (been using those for some 30 years), but the phones seem to have so many uses/options other than just phoning someone that I'm completely overwhelmed.

I just want to start with simple text instructions on what all of the buttons and controls do, and how to use the basic telephone functions- and then work up from there.

Thanks / OJ

Comments

• @LewisBraham-

Thanks very much. It took a lot of maneuvering, but evidently the only way to obtain the instructions is by using the iBooks app from the Apple Store. So I finally figured out how do do that, then used that app to download the instruction book, which they evidently charged me for because they verified my CCard info, but I was never told how much it might cost. I'm getting to the point where I just detest having any interaction with Apple whatsoever.

And that's a real shame, because I've bought and used Apple computers for some 30 years. Oh well, probably Microsoft is just as bad.
  • "Playing against the rules" rather than one's opponent.
  • I've never been a huge Apple fan but you reach a point where a company is so dominant you just can't avoid them.
  • Be patient with yourself and you will get a hang of it. The manual helps. Soon you will appreciate the touch screen instead of using a keyboard.

Try to learn one function at a time such as text messaging and making phone calls. Have fun with it like my college kids tell me.
  • @Sven- thanks, that's pretty much what I was planning to do. I think that I have most of the phone stuff under control, and plan to tackle some of the other stuff one at a time. What they make you go through just to get a user manual is simply unconscionable.
  • edited November 2022
    I like to play around and eventually get it right. You can also learn from YouTube using the Safari browser and search for what you like to do. The Map app is really handy for helping you to navigate driving direction, especially in new locations at night time. Once I learn how to use it well, I can find hotel in the dark by following the voice direction.

My first iPhone last for 8 years until I can no longer able to update the operating system. Now I have a newer version of your phone, iPhone SE II, and it is much improved.

The Camera is quite good for still photo and making video for such small devices. Take your time and enjoy it.
  • Thanks much Sven- I'm sort of getting the feel of the thing.
    OJ
  • @Old_Joe from another octogenarian: we can’t text as fast as kids and we are not accustomed to keeping the iPhone on our person as if it were another appendage. I doubt that my adult kids understand that reading glasses are necessary for all senior cell phone use.

I also have quite severe hearing loss, but for phone calls and TV watching, the iPhone pairs beautifully with digital hearing aids and an add-on device connected to the the TV. For about three years I have been able to listen to Apple Music in my hearing devices, receive calls that disturb no one, and watch TV or a movie as if it were a private screening. Our health insurance, offered to retirees from the public sector in MI, a has a very beneficial arrangement with a company called TruHearing. I suggest you check your benefits and get a consult. I think Apple products are top shelf.
  • @Old_Joe : I'm late to the punch, sorry about that. I would have sent you to your local library for an edition of I-phones for dummies. I picked up one for Android phone
    I loved my old flip phone , but no more service for G-3.

As One ages, to much tech for me, Derf
  • edited November 2022
    @BenWP- Thanks for the suggestions. I've been wearing top-line digital hearing aids for at least fifteen years now. I do intend to see about a setup like you mention. Thanks much for your interest.

@Derf- I hear you. Man, do I ever hear you!

OJ
  • @Derf- iPhones for Dummies didn't cut it, but thanks to your suggestion I found this on Amazon. I want to keep a reference copy on hand, so the library wouldn't work in this case. Thanks for your suggestion- it got me on the right track.

Yes, I was indeed a very competent radio technician for many years. But that doesn't mean that I have an intuitive understanding of everything electronic or technical, especially with respect to software- I was a hardware person. Being 83, I figured that I could qualify as "senior". At Amazon, 93% of 250 reviewers gave this one a 5-star:

• @Old_Joe : Good idea on your latest purchase, think I'll see what they have for Android.
    Time to hit the dock & see if the fish are biting.
    Have a good day, Derf
  • When you have time, please give "Siri" a try. That is a voice activated function of Apple products (Apple calls it their assistant) to help you with the things you need to find, know, or do every day. Just say "Hey Siri" or hold down the home button, then say what you need.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204389

I use it to call my wife..."Siri, call XXX" and it will make the phone call for you. You need to create you phone list first.
  • edited November 2022
    @Sven- Maybe it's just me, but I just think that having something that's listening to every word it hears, and reporting that back to Apple or anyone else, is totally creepy- right out of Orwell's "1984". If I can get through the rest of my life without that, I'll be very happy. On the same general principle I refuse to use iCloud or any similar cloud storage, even though anyone looking at my stuff would be bored out of their mind. I like hard drives, and have lots and lots of them.

On a more physical and less philosophical level, my hearing is so marginal that I really can't understand much of anything without seeing someone's face as they're talking.
  • edited November 2022
    I can understand your concern. Rest be sure that what you do your devices do not get report back to the manufacturers. Same goes like what you use the internet and where you go and so fourth. If you don’t want someone to track your whereabouts at all time, turn off the “location” option under setting since the phone has a GPS. I only turn it on when I use the Map app to help with directions.

I do not use iCloud either for different reasons. For one, I am too cheap to buy large capacity. I much prefer portable hard drive and I can continue to add more as I needed. At work.

I hope hearing aids would help with your impairment just like my father did.
  • edited November 2022
    Transferred to a new post: "What information does Siri or Alexa collect and save?"