Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

11 years of jail time for Ms. Holmes

2»

Comments

• As a retired retail pharmacist as of October 2022, I was witness to the accurate testimony of the previous commenter and physician sma3. Perhaps I can address the challenges confronting the second stop after your doctor or mid-level practitioner visit--your pharmacy.

Briefly, in the early part of the 2000's, there was an acute shortage of pharmacists and salaries were escalating. In response, with the encouragement of rapidly expanding retail pharmacies and the prospect of a high value (both to the student and institution) professional curriculum, the number of pharmacy schools doubled. As these newer schools starting pumping out new graduates in the last decade and simultaneously retail pharmacy saturation in many markets reduced new construction, very quickly equilibrium then a surplus of pharmacists emerged into the latter part of the last decade.
    Of course, the major chain employers then found themselves in a favorable supply/demand status. Starting salaries fell markedly as thousands of particularly new graduates with six-figure loan debts competed for a much lower level of job openings. Prospective students began to contemplate the deteriorating cost/benefit of a pharmacy degree and chose another--enrollments began to plunge 5-10% (or more) annually.

Then--the pandemic hit. Immunization service demand skyrocketed and in some areas the diminishing supply of new pharmacists could not fully compensate. Across the nation, most acutely in rural areas, this situation is not improving with companies being forced to offer five figure bonuses to fill positions. It is quite possible you are witnessing this as many pharmacies have been forced to limit hours and/or be closed on weekends unexpectedly due to lack of staff.

Of course, much of the detail sma3 shared (reimbursements, government edicts, patient counts, excessive EMR bureaucracy, high turnover of medical professionals) also contribute at the pharmacy level. All combined, what has evolved are common long wait times for making appointments, tests, and procedures, and the timely readiness and availability of your prescription. Please understand--this frustration is mutual.

• +1 az There are Walgreens in Central Florida that no longer offer pharmacy services . Also, with the improving job prospects for pharmacists, why go to a private university like USC or St. John's when state universities are much cheaper ?
  • "+1 az There are Walgreens in Central Florida that no longer offer pharmacy services."

....Ya, I just left Long's. Picked up a scrip. Asked about getting the new covid booster. They administer those injections there. We can't. Why? You need an appointment. OK, make me an appt..... We can't. WHAT?! Yes, it must be done online.

IDIOTS in charge, everywhere you go. I'm standing there in front of her, IN PERSON. Motherloving IDIOTS are in charge of the world.