Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

"Last Of The Mohicans."

Filmed in the Carolinas. I see it now. But the scenery certainly was convincing: it was supposed to be happening in the Adirondacks of NY State. They had ME fooled. I've been there, and it's glorious. The N.C. mountains, too.

Comments

• edited November 2022
    That's an all-time favorite of mine *. I own a grand total of five DVDs or sets, and it's one of them. BBC did a series of it way back, 1971, as a Masterpiece Theater that was good for the time, but the D.D. Lewis film is terrific. Like so many movies of the early-mid '90s, it could have been filmed this year, no loss from being 30 years old.

Wes Studi, who plays the "bad" Native American guy in LoTM, also played the title character in "Geronimo: An American Legend" which is another great film from the early '90s, basically true to history too.
    Wes Studi on Wikipedia.

* In 7th grade, I devoured every James Fenimore Cooper novel and everything else I could find about the French & Indian (Seven Years) War. Loved stories from that period, and still do.
  • Yes, I never tire of learning the history. I was at a quaint, pretty town between Buffalo and Toronto: Niagara-On-The-Lake. At a bookstore there, I bought one on the War of 1812. A different angle and conclusions than we got from the nuns in school, for sure, and the US-based textbooks!
  • The Seven Year War precipitated a change in the world balance of power that eventually paved the way for the United States to emerge. It was a hell of a lot more than the "French and Indian War".
  • That's the TRUTH.
  • As we're doing a bit of a travel-rama.

Niagara-On-The-Lake and that entire area to the west....Hamilton, etc. is a beautiful area; and lots of very good wine. We've never visited any other area of Canada or the U.S. , where in the summer; almost every private residence, as well as the cities and businesses, has flowers everywhere. The area is also where I learned my best Canadian language.
    And then to the N.E. towards Kingston (info below). A truly amazing and unique area between Canada the U.S. The world of extreme U.S. wealth and where large volumes of whiskey and other moved across the narrow waterways during Prohibition.

1000 Islands

1000 Islands, map and info
  • edited November 2022
    Old_Joe said:

The Seven Year War precipitated a change in the world balance of power that eventually paved the way for the United States to emerge. It was a hell of a lot more than the "French and Indian War".

F&I as it's commonly called in N. America, Seven Years for the entire conflict. F&I/North America was one of the theaters of 7Y. (That's why the wording of the brief reference in what I wrote.)

One of the implications here was a major Native American uprising against the British called Pontiac's Rebellion that followed France's defeat and withdrawal. 19th century historian Francis Parkman wrote a detailed account of PR that's really interesting.
  • edited November 2022
    A lot of various backgrounds, knowledge, experiences and curious folks around here, eh?
    What a bunch we are.....

WONDERFUL !!!

Good evening all.