Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Cinema of Sinema

edited December 2022 in Off-Topic
Why do this now except to draw more attention to herself? https://reuters.com/world/us/arizonas-sinema-switches-political-affiliation-independent-politico-2022-12-09/
Almost a year ago, Sinema and Manchin killed an attempt by other Senate Democrats to temporarily waive the "filibuster" rule, which requires a supermajority of 60 votes for most legislation to advance toward Senate passage.

That stymied Democrats' push, supported by Biden, for significant voting rights reforms.

With her close ties to the U.S. pharmaceutical industry, Sinema complicated Democrats' efforts to force lower prescription drug prices before finally settling on a narrow version of a bill that became law.

On tax policy, Sinema is more in line with Republicans, opposing Biden's moves to raise taxes on the wealthy and corporations.

Comments

• "Why do this now"
    There's a body of political opinion suggesting that Sinema is concerned about being replaced by another Democrat in the next Arizona primary election, and that she is making a preemptive move to offset that possibility. Personally, while I'm a lifelong Democrat, I do respect politicians who don't feel comfortable in either party.
  • edited December 2022
    Or you could say it’s her way of announcing immediately after the Democrats won a majority in the Senate that she’s newly available to support the usual Republican blockades of every appointment and piece of legislation. I actually think this is more a bid for a soon to be presidential campaign. It grabs attention.
  • edited December 2022
    The Georgia result made her dispensable, and now she can be all mavericky and won't have to run in a D primary. Also AZ D's will have to factor into the '24 election that challenging her would lead to a three-way campaign that would likely lead to a nutcase R like Lake winning the seat. (That's assuming she could get on the ballot fairly easily as an independent.)

I kinda think she's angling for a nice cushy exec job in Big Pharma or private equity, given her role in weakening the tax and pharma negotiation pieces of the IRA.
  • By NY Times Opinion Columnist Michelle Goldberg

Kyrsten Sinema and the Politics of Narcissism

"Had Republicans won the Senate, Sinema could have become an independent who caucused with Republicans, preserving her place in the majority. A red wave might have seemed to vindicate her aggressive centrism, especially if Senator Mark Kelly, an Arizona Democrat far more loyal to his party, had lost. But Kelly won and Democrats picked up a Senate seat. That meant Sinema could no longer hold the rest of the Democratic caucus hostage, or argue that only Democrats who defy their base are electable in her state. She was about to become a lot less relevant. Now she’s center stage again."
  • political whore.
  • Redundancy, I'm afraid.
  • edited December 2022
    This may be WaPo's resident satirist Alexandra Petri's best column ever: "Bad News! Nothing about Kyrsten Sinema will change." For those who can't pull it up, she refers to KS in the first 'graf as "the human version of an eviction notice written in glitter gel pen." And it just gets better from there.
  • Just read that item. Brilliantly put together!
  • edited December 2022
    I almost left WaPo behind, but thought better of it when I was reminded of Ms. Petri's brilliance. It's hard enough these days to get any humor at all out of the news.