Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

fill in the blank

edited December 2022 in Off-Topic

Comments

• I'm certainly no prude, and am quite capable of using similar (or much worse) language myself. However it seems kind of crude and off-putting to be blasted in the face with a headline like this. Inside the post, no problem. In the headline: no class. Absolutely no class.
  • oh, dear. I tweaked your sensibilities.
  • edited December 2022
    I'm OK with the d words, both kinds, but in another era you would have been condemned to the firey furnace below for using such language. Luckily with regard to language, we live in 2022. In other ways, 2022 not so lucky.:-)
  • @Crash - I doubt that. Maybe he just thinks that you could do better. Last I checked this board aspires to civility.
  • "Maybe he just thinks that you could do better."

Exactamente. Thanks, @Mark.
  • From LB's link:
    “Having the strategies to know where and when it’s appropriate to swear, and when it’s not,” Jay said, “is a social cognitive skill like picking the right clothes for the right occasion. That’s a pretty sophisticated social tool.”
    Well I'm not at all sure that my social tools are exceptional, but “Having the strategies to know where and when it’s appropriate to swear, and when it’s not” is exactly my point.

I wasn't at all offended- I can maybe out-swear Crash. Just a matter of using a little class, that's all. (Does "using class" even make sense?)
  • Pretty funny that now you see an article saying swearing's a sign of intelligence you're suggesting you're better at it than Crash. I feel like the two of you need to meet and challenge each other to a round of the Dozens to see who's victorious.
  • Nah, the article had nothing to do with it. Look back at my original comment: "I'm... quite capable of using similar (or much worse) language myself."

I wasn't really offended by Crash's language- I just think that a little class actually helps make your point. No big deal... he sort of overreacted, maybe.
  • "I have better things to do, like stay in bed and complain." ----- Judy Tenuta. (R.I.P.)