Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Guggenheim partners announces the untimely and unexpected death of Scott Minerd

edited December 2022 in Fund Discussions
A most insightful fixed income individual. I recently watched him on Bloomberg, and gave a lot of attention to his observations of the fixed income arena. An original thinker who spoke his mind and helped a novice investor understand the complex fixed income market place.

Many have lost an excellent teacher, and I include myself.

He passed yesterday afternoon of a heart attack during a normal workout routine.

Scott Minerd

Comments

• You can probably move this to Fund discussions. It's important fund news.
  • sad. i knew his name. he was a smart cookie, a great reputation. a real pro.
  • Scott Minerd was head and shoulders above the regular "bond gurus." And his massive shoulders showed his dedication to gym workouts. He was the dedicated Guggenheim spokesman that Bloomberg regularly turned to on Fed days. RIP
  • 63. yes, scary. i see it all around. a great many of them are younger than me, these days. Oy!
  • Just sad. Too early and too much life left for a true helper.
  • edited December 2022
    Minerd had a forceful personality and clear opinions. He was in the media often.

In 2017, when Invesco/IVZ bought Guggenheim's ETFs, I read that Guggenheim also wanted to sell its mutual funds. But Invesco politely said at the time that it already had a good line up of mutual funds and didn't need Guggenheim's mutual funds. But it was hinted in the media that the real reason for Invesco to shy away was Minerd.

That made up excuse didn't stop Invesco from acquiring OppenheimerFunds from MassMutual just a year later, 2018.

Since 2017, I have been watching for a possible sale of Guggenheim's mutual funds, but that may happen soon now. I have no inside info on this, so this just my guesswork. I agree with M*'s caution in putting Guggenheim mutual funds on review as some changes may be coming.
  • The pictures are not specific but he looks like he was a big guy and maybe overweight? Certainly his job was stressful and probably contributed to his early death. He "retired " at 37 with millions but had to go back to work!

"Running a global firm requires extensive travel. In 2015, Minerd spent time in the United Arab Emirates, Singapore, South Korea, Japan, and other countries. His favorite travel destination is his beachfront home in Los Angeles: “If I can get the opportunity to be at home, I look forward to it. I already have a beach house, I just don’t get to spend any time there.”

When he is on the road, Minerd follows a detailed regimen that includes a full arsenal of supplements such as Zicam (a cold remedy) and Pedialyte to prevent dehydration during his intense travel schedule. The entire time, he keeps his must-have “football” close. While the President of the United States is always accompanied by a military aide carrying a “football” including launch codes for nuclear weapons, Minerd’s “football” comes in the form of his Bloomberg Terminal, allowing him to monitor, analyze, and trade from wherever he happens to be at the time."