Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

10% tax-free, but in euros: Ireland. 10-year term.

edited December 2022 in Other Investing
Some of you might recall me mentioning that I have citizenship in Ireland as well as the USA. So a 10% tax-free return interests me! I've sent an inquiry to them by email about eligibility, since I do not reside in Ireland. The term is 10 years on this one. I expect it will compound through the years. The "AER" (Annual Equivalent Rate) = 0.96%.
Links:
https://www.statesavings.ie/media/pdf/nsb-general-terms-conditions.pdf
https://www.statesavings.ie/media/pdf/ss-brochure-4_10yr.pdf
https://www.statesavings.ie/our-products/10-year-national-solidarity-bond
https://www.statesavings.ie/about-state-savings

Just thought I'd share, in case anyone else can find a way to get your foot in the door. I've already received an auto-reply from them by email. After the holiday, I'll hear back from someone over there.

Comments

• @Crash The table on page 2 of your second link shows this is 10% total (not per year) over 10 years, increasing very slowly to 10% total over that period.
  • +1. Thanks, @orage.
    Is that to say it's 10% simple--- not compounded--- interest?
  • Perhaps I misunderstand, as it seems odd to advertise such low returns these days. And the "cumulative bonus percentage" matches what appears to be the total return; nothing seems to be a "bonus". But an "Annual Equivalent Rate" of 0.96% sure seems like 10% total over 10 years, since (1.0096)^10 is 1.10. And the AER if redeemed early is pitiful.
  • edited December 2022
    @orage thanks! it appears that it might not be worth my time, then. 10 years is a long time to lock-up money. And if it's not compounding, then this seems to me like a shameless come-on.
  • edited December 2022
    This is Ireland's national State/savings bond program. See Table 1 under each category. So, 10% for 10 years means euro 1,000 principal bond will mature to euro 1,100. TR is cumulative (typical default), not annualized. There is some bonus too, but I didn't spend more time on details.

US I-Bonds or 5-yr TIPS (held to maturity) are MUCH better, so are the US T-Bills/Notes.
  • @yogibearbull. THAT is very helpful input. I appreciate it. Happy Boxing Day!
  • Gross....
  • ork? huh?
  • Reply from the Irish side of the pond regarding my eligibility to buy that 10-year item:

Thank you for your email.

Yes you are eligible once you have a PPSN number the address can be registered to the USA. A cheque or bank draft can be posted to Inpayments, State Savings, GPO, Dublin 1. Personal cheques or bank drafts should be made payable to NTMA State Savings. If your wife does not hold a PPSN number she would not be able to make the purchase held jointly with yourself.

The application should be accompanied by original or certified* copies of identification for each applicant:

Proof of name e.g. current passport, driving licence

Proof of address e.g. current household bill, bank/building society statement

Proof of PPS number e.g. document from Dept of Social protection or Revenue, P60, Social Services, EU/HSE Health Cards).

*Certified Copy - You may bring the original documents to any Post Office where a Post Office Official can photocopy the original to certify it is a true copy of the original. Alternatively you can bring the original documents to a Member of An Garda Siochána/Police or a practising Solicitor/Commissioner for Oaths where they can photocopy the original and stamp it to certify it is a true copy of the original.

Couldn't get past Square One: I don't hold a PPSN number, and don't plan to do it.
  • Why would you ever even consider such an investment? On a tax-equivalent basis, 10-Year Treasuries would crush this.
  • JoJo26 said:

Why would you ever even consider such an investment? On a tax-equivalent basis, 10-Year Treasuries would crush this.

It looked great on the surface. The input I've received here is valuable. I've decided against it.