Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Does “George Santos” Say about the American Dream?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/01/01/opinions/kevin-mccarthy-silence-george-santos-obeidallah/index.html
Lied about working at Goldman Sachs, lied about being the child of Jewish Holocaust survivors, lied about his education. It turn out his name may even be fake or at least he’s used fake names in the past. He seems like the ultimate example of “fake it until you make it” an expression that has become popular in the U.S. recently.
That lying to achieve success ethos also seems to be a weird perversion of the American dream, a less glamorous nastier Gatsby story. We’ve never had a shortage of flimflam men here, but I seem to recall the dream not only included reinventing oneself in the U.S., but also had a hard work aspect to it. Yet even Anna Delvey, i.e, Anna Sorokin seems to have more integrity than Santos. After all that fakery, he is now a real Congressman with real influence on our nation’s destiny.

Comments

• Would it be fair to suggest that Donald Trump has succeeded in lowering whatever passes for "standards" in the Republican Party to his own personal level?

Santos will find himself right at home in the House with Lauren Boebert, Matt Gaetz, Marjory Taylor Greene, and Jim Jordan, all led by (or maybe leading?) Kevin McCarthy. They form a group all unto themselves.
  • edited January 2023
    Old_Joe said:

Would it be fair to suggest that Donald Trump has succeeded in lowering whatever passes for "standards" in the Republican Party to his own personal level?

”What a tangled web we weave …”

Another question - What does it say about that district’s voters and their local media’s journalistic vigor that this stuff didn’t come out during the election campaign and torpedo this guy’s election bid?
  • edited January 2023
    The attorney general of that district is liking into the matter.

It is shocking that Santo fabricated his entire life. There was an article in a newspaper questioning about his background but no one follow up to verify the information. What a shame.
  • @Sven - George Santos is a congressman elect from a NY state district. How does FL (Florida?) figure in this matter?
  • Mark, my mistake. I will correct my post.
  • "How does FL (Florida?) figure in this matter? "

@mark- "brain" waves from his leader?
  • Old_Joe = +1
  • Abe Lincoln is spinning.
    Repugnant Party. Losing by the numbers, so they gerrymander, lie, cheat, litigate with no basis. And misrepresent the truth and reality at every turn. I recall Silvio Conte from the district next to mine, represented by (Dem.) Edward Boland. Conte (R) could never abide the shenanigans/bullshit that his Party produces today.
    Wiki:
    "Silvio Ottavio Conte (November 9, 1921 – February 8, 1991) was an American lawyer and politician. He was a Republican member of the United States House of Representatives for 16 terms, representing the 1st Congressional District of Massachusetts from January 3, 1959, until his death in Bethesda, Maryland in 1991. He strongly supported legislation to protect the environment, as well as federal funding of medical and scientific research."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvio_O._Conte

• Old_Joe said:

"How does FL (Florida?) figure in this matter? "

@mark- "brain" waves from his leader?

I can declassify stuff just by thinking it.
  • edited January 2023
    Wikipedia Biography - George Santos.

There’s something vaguely likable about this guy. Certainly has a vivid imagination! And he must have sized up his constituency accurately and concluded quite correctly they were as dumb (or apathetic) as a fence post. His life history might, you’d think, lead one towards a more liberal social / political bent. But NO - he’s part of the McCarthy band. Despicable really.

BTW - Wasn’t there another McCarthy in Congress in the 50s? Equally detestable …
  • McCarthy - hopefully you're referring to Joe and not Eugene.
  • edited January 2023
    Joseph McCarthy / What a horrible episode in our history.

Then there was JP McCarthy who ruled the Detroit airwaves for many years. I’m sure @catch22 remembers.
  • @hank YUPPERS, to JP and a few others at the time. Decent AM radio at the time.
  • @Mark remembers correctly. We were « clean for Gene » in 1968. What a disappointment.