Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ET. Energy Transfer customer service

Obviously an east Indian fellow. Great start. At least we WERE able to communicate in English. That's not always the case. ... I called because the tool on the website would not let me sign-up to receive by email an alert, so I would know when the K-1 tax form is ready.

I was willing to give him all the information he might need to correct the situation, so that I could be informed by email when that K-1 is ready for me.

...He told me that the tool is DESIGNED not to let people like me use that tool---- until I already had a K-1 generated either from a previous year, or the one from '22 is ready, because I only started buying shares in 2022.

My quality suggestion to him was that some GENIUS somewhere needs to include that essential piece of information on the website, so that shareholders like me don't waste their time trying to use a tool that we are essentially locked-out from using.

Uncle Lewis Black describes just such a situation:
You walk into a public restroom and use the facilities. You flush the toilet, and the toilet water hits you in the face. As you're turning to leave, you notice a sign on the back-side of the door behind you: "Warning: toilet water may hit you in the face."

Only in THIS case, there is not even a sign in the WRONG place. No one has any way of knowing what's going on unless you take the time to call "Customer Service" so that you can be told just what's going on. And what's going on is a Cluster-F***.

Comments

• I am now K-1 free!

But until a couple of years ago, I used the PWC site (registration required) that consolidates reporting of most K-1s. Typically, they start to become available in mid/late-March.
    https://www.taxpackagesupport.com/
  • edited January 2023
    Thanks, Yogi. Yes, he told me that more than likely, the K-1 would be ready in March. They would be able to be more accurate about the time frame if I were to call back in February. Of course, this business is not the fault of the agent I spoke to. I made that clear to him.