Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

a haiku for Kevin McCarthy

Middle Age Riot
@middleageriot

a haiku for Kevin McCarthy

ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha you loser

Comments

• Haiku indeed.........but I count 16 in total = close enough. The last two being the most important.

Middle Age Riot.......... I do not 'Grok' that.
  • That snake has given signed letters to the group of insurgents promising everything under the sun, but they know exactly what his word is worth. He's a total political whore. "ha ha" indeed.
  • @catch22 - (5,7,5) syllables, not words
  • Duh........yes. And I'm trying to be a clear thinking investor. Can't even get syllables right.
    Best for me to stay away from thinking too much about important things late at night.
    Thank you for the head slap.
  • edited January 2023
    At work when it came to administrators we’d say,

”If you don’t like this one, wait until you see the next one!”

Suspect that might apply here.
  • You could very well be right @hank. I heard somewhere that the pillow guy nut job is in the running to be head of the RNC. Can you do that from a jail cell? I wonder what brand of compass that Do Nothing Party is using to guide themselves.
  • edited January 2023
    The party is quite diverse: pillows, guns, historical fiction aficionados. Obviously, they’re in search of a leader who can tie this all together.
  • edited January 2023
    Go for that new guy........you know; liar, liar pants on fire.......Santos The Majestic

I really need to find the 'rules and regs' regarding the Speaker of the House, may be anyone, pretty much.

Been too short of time this week, but just heard on the AM radio band while driving that vote 6 was a no-go.

Some of the Brits must be smiling at our form of gubment about now.
  • edited January 2023
    Catch said:”Go for that new guy........you know; liar, liar pants on fire.......Santos The Majestic”

Geez Catch. Does this mean you don’t believe in ”Santa”? :)
  • VOX wrote there are four possible outcome. I prefer #4 with a unity candidate and McCarthyy is not one of them.
    https://vox.com/policy-and-politics/2023/1/4/23539597/kevin-mccarthy-house-speaker-vote-result
  • Thanks for the story @Sven
  • He wants power badly and now make more and more concession to the other 20 members while weakens the speaker leadership position. He should just step aside.
  • Too proud, too great an ego for that.
  • edited January 2023
    Good writeup, @Sven. I forget about VOX; need to visit there more often.

Through the looking glass: the loopy 20 making MTG look less insane? How could this be?

I know it's meaningless, but I do get a chuckle every time I see the scoreboard showing Jeffries as the plurality winner.
  • Zero for 10 after today. I wonder if he's going after DT's record for futility.
  • An ode for Mr. Kevin
    Tom Petty, 1985, partial lyric

Hey
    You don't come around here no more
    You don't come around here no more
    Whatever you're looking for
    (Hey) Don't come around here no more
    I've given up (Stop)
    I've given up (Stop ah, ah, ah, ooh, ooh)
    I've given up (Stop)
    On waiting any longer
    I've given up on this love getting stronger
    I don't feel you anymore
    You darken my door (Ooh, ooh)
    Whatever you're looking for
    (Hey) Don't come around here no more
    I've given up (Stop wah-who-ooh)
    I've given up (Stop ah, ah, ah, ooh, ooh)
    I've given up (Stop)
    You tangled my emotions
    I've given up
    Please, admit it's over
  • Here is what the 20 opposition want and that is essentially holding the House in hostage.

https://npr.org/2023/01/05/1147028286/these-21-house-members-didnt-vote-for-kevin-mccarthy-heres-what-they-want
  • edited January 2023
    Fifteenth time's a charm!
    Extensive concessions made -
    How can Kevin lead?
  • Minority Leader Jeffries 15 minute speech prior to turning over the gavel (especially at 13 minutes). The sword has been drawn for the 118th Congress. As with Bette Davis, 'It's going to be a bumpy ride.'
  • Been thinking of putting my investments at higher risk so my attention and anxiety is diverted to something that feels a bit more under my control. I need a break from worrying about my country, its people, its liberties, its sanity, its morality, its justice.

And, yea, Jeffries was incredible. I think he only took one or two breaths in that 15-minute speech,
  • Jeffries has the right messaging down pat. Two years of that style should pay dividends for the whole country. The couple of cutaways to Nancy P. looked like she could burst into tears any second.
  • edited January 2023
    A truly impressive speech. That's the first time that I've actually heard the man for an extended commentary, and I really like what I heard. He certainly isn't going to roll over to McCarthy's bunch.

Speaking of McCarthy, the Democrats are going to be the very least of his problems. For a truly somber overview of the legislative minefield laying ahead, I highly recommend pulling up last night's Brooks and Capehart segment of the PBS NewsHour. I was very impressed with the reportorial exchanges between Amna Nawaz, David Brooks, and Jonathan Capehart. A very professional crew indeed. NewsHour has certainly landed on it's feet with the transition from Judy Woodruff.
  • Forgot to place: Jeffries' speech reminded me of an early Obama.
  • Howdy folks,

"welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends. come inside, come inside."

Actually, I'm counting my blessings that it was such in incredible shitshow. What we are instore for is two years of complete gridlock. And gridlock is our friend. Cherish it. It means that other than must pass legislation nothing will see the light of day. Washington will be quiet. Other than the republicans will spend 2 years investigating everything known to man and after their willingness to testify to the Jan 6 investigation, I figure most of their subpoenas will be ignored. Witnessing this clown show for 2 years will make election 2024 a bloodbath for republicans.

But rono is feeling very smug Up in Michigan. We were almost drowned in a massive blue wave due to abortion being on the ballot. We've got the Gretch, Dana and Benson for Gov, AG and SoS and better yet, we have a Supreme Court with a 6/1 democratic majority AND they love referendums.

Would that the rest of you good people were as lucky as rono.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • edited January 2023
    Anna said:

Been thinking of putting my investments at higher risk so my attention and anxiety is diverted to something that feels a bit more under my control. I need a break from worrying about my country, its people, its liberties, its sanity, its morality, its justice.

And, yea, Jeffries was incredible. I think he only took one or two breaths in that 15-minute speech,

LOL - I’m not too sure about your suggested solution. I’ve felt that way betting on a game however. Throw the whole freakin remaining pot at an underdog in hopes of striking it big. Fortunately, have never viewed my investments that way.:)

• edited January 2023
    Just wondering. Do all those “promises” McCarthy made really mean anything? I wouldn’t shake his hand for fear of losing mine.
  • edited January 2023
    Kevin McCarthy may become one of the weakest House Speakers in history.
    He had to make major concessions to win approval from the holdouts.
    Any one lawmaker can now launch a "motion to vacate the chair."
    It's been said that some holdouts will get seats on the powerful House Rules committee.
    This committee decides when/if a bill can be debated and whether amendments can be allowed.
    Holdouts also pushed for other highly coveted committee assignments.
    McCarthy promised to not allow Congress to pass a budget resolution which includes a debt limit increase without some major cuts (e.g., Social Security, Medicare).
    He also agreed to create a plan that balances the federal budget within 10 years without raising taxes.
    Taking this all into consideration, I don't see how Kevin McCarthy will be able to effectively lead
    the House of Representatives.

• edited January 2023
    ”Our very first bill will repeal the funding for 87,000 new IRS agents,” Mr. McCarthy said after being chosen as speaker after a 15-ballot election that was the longest since the Civil War. “You see, we believe government should be to help you, not go after you.”

From Article: GOP House Takes First Swipe at IRS Money - WSJ January 10, 2023
  • Saturday afternoon, post S.O.T.H. election:

Kevin McCarthy says Republicans 'learned how to govern' and will 'be more effective' after the party's infighting to select a speaker

DAMN !!! As good as it gets?????