Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Matthews Asia management changes to two funds

Comments

• Direct link https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/923184/000119312523002397/d416122d497.htm

M* had mentioned that co-lead-manager Yu Zhang was responsible for the recent (5+ years) shift in MAPIX from old current-dividend emphasis to also include dividend-growth emphasis. As a result, MAPIX started behaving similar to other growth-oriented Matthews Asia funds. IMO, this change may restore MAPIX to its original current-dividend emphasis.
  • spilled milk. Matthews, no..... But I always appreciate you posting the news!
  • edited January 2023

M* had mentioned that co-lead-manager Yu Zhang was responsible for the recent (5+ years) shift in MAPIX from old current-dividend emphasis to also include dividend-growth emphasis. As a result, MAPIX started behaving similar to other growth-oriented Matthews Asia funds. IMO, this change may restore MAPIX to its original current-dividend emphasis.

Good catch, Yogi; didn't realize the strategy change with YZ, just that it seemed to get growthier than it was during its better days.

Off topic: I also hadn't realized until yesterday that the China Dividend fund is up more than 30% in the last 3 months (not up just in the current rip).
  • TheShadow said:
    A few odd things really stand out about this announcement.

1. First, word on the street is that Yu Zhang left Matthews (probaby obvious, but some may think he is just coming off of managing his fund). If true, this is the most senior portfolio manager to leave. Not only is Asia Div one of the biggest funds at Matthews (nearly $2bn of assets), its also the 3rd biggest active managed Asia fund in the U.S. (only PRASX and MAPTX are bigger). I think Yu had been with Matthews since 2005?

2. Joyce Li, who was a co portfolio manager of Asia Dividend and China Dividend funds, also resigned on December 30, 2022. See her filing below and linkedin, confirming her departure. That's just 30 days before Yu Zhang resigned per the filing above.

Why would Matthews file these two departures as two separate filings when they happaned so close together? It's never good to file these forms when a PM departs, so it was in Matthews best interest to file them together, once.

This tells me that Matthews had NO IDEA that Yu Zhang was departing and it came as a total surprise.

Look at the filing for Joyce's departure on Dec 30, 2022. They make it VERY clear that "Yu Zhang, CFA, will continue to act as a Lead Manager of the Matthews Asia Dividend Fund". Yet he leaves less than 30 days later?

Something is up.

A shame what has happened to Matthews. They continue to bleed investment talent.

https://www.streetinsider.com/SEC+Filings/Form+497+MATTHEWS+INTERNATIONAL/21020185.html

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sjoyceli/

• That instability led me to go with Seafarer Value, SFVLX.
  • I moved toward Andrew Foster’s firm, Seafarer after he left Matthews. Absolutely no regrets.
  • edited February 2023
    BenWP said:

That instability led me to go with Seafarer Value, SFVLX.

If I decide to get back into EM equity, my fund of choice would be SIVLX.
  • I believe, @Observant1, that I bought the Investor shares of the same fund that you mention.
  • @BenWP do they have a 25k minimum in purchase of the fund ?
  • MikeW said:

@BenWP do they have a 25k minimum in purchase of the fund ?

SIVLX has a $25,000 minimum at Schwab and Vanguard. SFVLX is not available at Schwab or Vanguard.

• Yes, @MikeW, $25K for the Investor class.
  • BenWP said:

I believe, @Observant1, that I bought the Investor shares of the same fund that you mention.

Yes - same fund but different share class.
    As Mona mentioned, SIVLX is available at Vanguard where I have an account.
    It has a $25K minimum initial investment.
    I believe SFVLX has a $2500 minimum initial investment.

• Thanks Ben
  • I still can’t get over how this fund was almost even for 2022. It has a large exposure to both Hong Kong and China. Fascinating how he dodged the losses.
  • BenWP said:

I believe, @Observant1, that I bought the Investor shares of the same fund that you mention.

Yes - same fund but different share class.
    As Mona mentioned, SIVLX is available at Vanguard where I have an account.
    It has a $25K minimum initial investment.
    I believe SFVLX has a $2500 minimum initial investment.

SFVLX can be purchased with a minimum of $2,500 in a regular account and $1,000 in a retirement account directly with Seafarer. I do not see where SFVLX can be purchased through Vanguard or Schwab.

• i think its SIVLX that's available at Schwab but there's a 25k minimum. I'm kind of surprised that the fund is still only $63M after its been around this long and has performed as well as it has. But most people don't seem to be aware of it. I don't think they market the fund very much. Instead their focus is on marketing SIGIX which has almost $2 Billion in assets. As long as they don't liquidate the fund, small is okay.
  • MikeW said:

i think its SIVLX that's available at Schwab but there's a 25k minimum. I'm kind of surprised that the fund is still only $63M after its been around this long and has performed as well as it has. But most people don't seem to be aware of it. I don't think they market the fund very much. Instead their focus is on marketing SIGIX which has almost $2 Billion in assets. As long as they don't liquidate the fund, small is okay.

@MikeW you are correct on $25,000 at Schwab for SIVLX. I too noticed that it only has $63M in net assets. Hopefully, one of the smarter minds here can opine if that is a concern. Based on only $63M in net assets, an ER of 1.05% seems quite reasonable. And for that, you get two good minds in Paul Espinosa and Andrew Foster. Lydia So is not listed as a manager in the fund (she is in SFGIX/SIGIX), but I would think that in this small boutique company, she too would have input.

• One can invest directly with Seafarer to gain access to the institutional shares and signing up with their automatic investment plan. The minimum is $1,500.
    https://seafarerfunds.com/invest/
    SIVLX is a mid-cap value EM fund. Even though it has 10% allocation to China, these are companies not commonly found in large cap EM funds.
    https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/composition/31761R591?type=sq-NavBar
  • 10% directly in China but also 20% in Hong Kong. And he’s free to invest wherever he sees the opportunities.