Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

VIX 18.23 (After hours 2/15) curiouser and curiouser …

edited February 2023 in Other Investing
That 18.87 reading was as of 1:20 PM today. I’ve no idea what the significance is. But ISTM there’s not much fear in the markets. Should there be?

Edit 2/15 - I updated yesterday’s quote as the VIX fell throughout the day today.

Comments

• SP500 daily volatility is +/- 1% (VIX/19). IMO, people have just become comfortable with high VIX. It peaked at 39 in early-2022 but crash-watchers have been looking for VIX of 45. It may not reach that level in this cycle.
  • Thanks for the FinViz VIX chart. But mine from StockCharts looks different. It shows 1/24/22 high of 38.94.
    https://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$VIX&p=D&yr=1&mn=3&dy=0&id=p89899821759
  • @yogibearbull Thank you.
    Yes, I did an inspect and see that, too. Hmmmmmm.... A large percentage of difference with the two charts. That date had a large swing with the open/close and high/low numbers.
    I can't account for the difference. There shouldn't be that backward 'wrong' view value, IMO; and shouldn't have anything to do with any 'futures' aspect of the chart; or am I wrong with this thinking?
    I don't do anything with the VIX except to take a peek; but I can see the VIX through the day, if needed, via Bloomberg.
  • edited February 2023
    FWIW - I track TAIL / Hasn’t been able to get out of its own way in the year + I’ve watched it. I realize that longer term it has to fall. But still find the constant slide curious. Points to a lot of complacency IMHO. Even a broken clock …

Bloomberg interviewed a hedge fund manager after I posted. His take is that the 0-Dated Options “craze” (0DTE) is reducing the impact / importance of the VIX which looks 30 days out.
  • @Hank. Re: TAIL. isn’t that managed by the great Meb Faber?
  • edited February 2023
    larryB said:

@Hank. Re: TAIL. isn’t that managed by the great Meb Faber?

From the Prospectus: “Mebane T. Faber is the portfolio manager for the Fund and has managed the Fund since its inception in February 2016.”

@larryB - I’ve dug up a fairly recent interview with Faber for you. To be clear, I have little knowledge of his investment career or philosophy, nor do I own any of his funds as of this writing. I track TAIL along with roughly a dozen other funds for whatever insights I can glean about the markets. i would never recommend this fund to anyone.