Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PSTL div 28 Feb '23

paying 23.75 CENTS per share.

Comments

• Sorry but that means nothing w/o context. I'm guessing you're satisfied. It may surprise you that not everyone follows that company.
  • (Note to self: ignore snark.).:)
  • edited February 2023
    No snark intended, just trying to figure out why you posted it. New dividend, special dividend, monthly-quarterly-semi-annual-annual dividend, I don't get it. Sure I can look it up just as easily as you could have explained/outlined in your OP but since it was your post tell me why.
  • It's a rather unique REIT. Invests only in Post Office properties. So, it's safe to say the P.O. (half private, half governmental entity) will not default. The yield is super: 6.37%. Growth prospects are frankly astronomical. At the moment, if memory serves me, the REIT holds maybe 5% of all the PO properties. That includes huge ones in cities and "last mile" outposts. This moment in the Markets is not the best for REIT performance, as shown by the share price in PSTL. Still, it seems to me that income AND growth in a REIT such as this, make it quite attractive. So I bought some. And intend to buy more.
    For what it's worth. And tomorrow is payday.
    Thanks. :)
  • Invests only in Post Office properties. So, it's safe to say the P.O. (half private, half governmental entity) will not default.

Funny you should bring that up. From OJ's post about the Supreme Court case to determine whether the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's funding is unconstitutional:
    The CFPB is not the only agency funded this way. ... The U.S. Postal Service, the U.S. Mint, and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., which protects bank depositors, and more, are also not funded by annual congressional appropriations.
    https://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/60734/supreme-court-to-hear-case-that-threatens-consumer-protection-agency-and-other-federal-agencies
  • edited February 2023

• My view of the USPS waxes and wanes in proportion to how long I had to wait in line for service. Bad day today.
  • BenWP said:

My view of the USPS waxes and wanes in proportion to how long I had to wait in line for service. Bad day today.

Yup. Agreed.
  • For many years we received the current issue of The Economist on Saturday. As of a few months ago it now comes three or four days later- Tuesday or Wednesday. Good grief!
  • On the other hand I get prescriptions by mail and the USPS keeps me notified every move my Rx makes and lets me know within a few hours when it will be delivered. Then I get a message the moment it is dropped in my mailbox. That is meaningful when it’s very hot outside. And we get notifications of everything that will be in our mailbox before the actual drop. If something is valuable we can be ahead of the thieves.
  • edited February 2023
    I get my own mail and that of 2 or 3 other neighbors sometimes.
  • Old_Joe said:

For many years we received the current issue of The Economist on Saturday. As of a few months ago it now comes three or four days later- Tuesday or Wednesday. Good grief!

Trump's selection for Postmaster: Louis DeJoy. Saboteur from within.
  • @Old_Joe

Good thing you get it at all. I can't get Barron's delivered and it has to be mailed, so it arrives Tuesday or Wednesday

I get the Economist online, but it is not the same as paper ( nor is any newspaper)

On the other hand it takes me hours to read the paper version and I can skim online in much less time

• "On the other hand it takes me hours to read the paper version and I can skim online in much less time"

@sma3 - maybe true but there's no comfort to be had in holding a tablet or laptop like there is in holding a good book or the printed word in general in your own hands. I can't describe the feeling other than it feels good. It's especially true when a grandchild or fur baby crawls up in your lap while doing so. Those are slow downs I'll take all day and any time. Beats the nearly incessant dinging & dismissing of popup ad's etc., etc.
  • edited March 2023
    ”… there's no comfort to be had in holding a tablet or laptop like there is in holding a good book or the printed word in general in your own hands.”

I get the point. Nostalgia. Frankly, I see little difference. It’s the thought primarily and, in really good prose, the resonant quality of the words and phrases one relishes. So Shakespeare or Dickens should be just as meaningful and pleasurable whether devoured from electronic or paper medium.

I consider most paper publications archaic. Reading print newspapers on planes I’ve more than once inadvertently poked the passenger seated next to me in the ribs. And on beaches paper pages tend to tear apart in the wind and scatter halter skelter. But the right type of Kindle reader can be read comfortably outdoors even in bright sunlight.

Not meant to be critical of @Mark. We all have habits from the past we cling to. Re Barron’s. Reasonably priced. Arrives on my Fire tablet on schedule every Saturday morning. No ads. A joy to read. One thing I wish were still on paper are the wonderful Dodge & Cox Annual reports. Don’t know why. But they seem less impactful / meaningful in electronic form. But, D&C is decidedly “old school” anyway.

Having said all that … the thought of kids growing up not knowing what a printed book looks like is a bit scary.
  • I am on Mark's side. I am still a paper addict, but think it is wise not to have to through out 14 full newspapers (NYT and WaPo) a week in addition to three or four slick magazines.

Reading online is not the same to me as on paper.

A large part of this is the way newspapers in particular have "dumbed down" the online versions. The Washington Post fortunately still has the print edition duplicated online.

A much different experience to me
  • @Old_Joe The Economist notified CA readers a few weeks ago of short term delivery days due to flooding at its Sac'to printer. Seems OK now as Feb 25th issue arrived on 24th.
  • I used to get Barron’s, delivered fortunately. There was nothing quite as good at getting a fire going in the fireplace as all those middle pages brimming with statistics. Perfect size, as opposed to a conventional newspaper, and very volatile. I am no longer a WSL or B’s reader and I have fewer fires in the fireplace. My portfolio and my management skills have not changed one way or the other.
  • I used to take everything there as useful and worth using, but as I have gotten more experienced, I now use it mainly for confirmation and only occasionally for new ideas.

Other than our good buddy here, Lewis, I find a lot of the columnists much less informed and less well reasoned than they were in the past

Similar issues at WSJ