Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Or does this belong under "fund discussions?" GQG/Adani

Comments

• edited March 2023
    I don't know how much money the US Hindenburg Research could make on its short positions on Adani Group. Shorting is severely restricted in India. So, Hindenburg was only speculating with derivatives and some Adani-bonds ( < $10 billion outstanding?) in the non-Indian markets. But market losses to the entire Adani Group were rather severe, and if it doesn't go under (unlikely), somebody will make lots of money. Would that include Rajiv Jain of GQG? May be.

BTW, this is also the 1st posting of 3/3/23! Where did everyone go?
  • edited March 2023

BTW, this is also the 1st posting of 3/3/23! Where did everyone go?

I’ve been busy taking profits all morning.

PS - I’ve enjoyed reading some of the current threads even if I haven’t contributed. Especially some of the excellent analysis and number crunching by @msf - a tremendous asset to the board!
  • Had to go to PT for my 70 year old hip and shoulder. Hoping to stave off hip replacement for another year!
  • edited March 2023
    Today’s the first time I’ve gotten the fixed income allocation up to 20% of portfolio in at least a year. (Sold across the board.) Everything’s ripping today. Dollar must have weakened because some foreign holdings gained. Metals and mining continued recent strong trend higher.

10-year fell below 4%, helping bonds.
    sma3 said:

Had to go to PT for my 70 year old hip and shoulder. Hoping to stave off hip replacement for another year!

Hope goes well for you. You reach an age where more stuff’s broken than what works (from experience).:)

• First replacement was a breeze
  • Physical ailments: sorry to hear about that. In 2021, after surgery, doc told me: "Yes, I removed what was left of your L-5 disc. So much pain for so many years. Now, quite a bit less. So, you use PT. i found it to be quite useless. Best wishes to you as we ALL grow older.
  • @ Crash

Sorry to hear about your sciatica. It sound permanent? PT is relatively ineffective for bad disc disease if the pressure on the nerve root cannot be relived. Typical ordinary sciatic gets better as the extruded disc material dries out and shrinks. My sciatica from my 40s rarely bothers me now ( took 9 months to get better), unless I lift something heavy.

PT helped my shoulder a lot but basically motivated me to do more muscle strengthening for arms and legs. I walk 3 miles a day but that uses only one set of muscles.

As far as investing goes, I continue to believe in the old adage "the bond market is the smart money" and it is telling us "higher and longer". Somewhere I read that the futures markets now expects rate cuts to start this fall.

The only way that can happen, I think, is a serious recession. Neither that nor continued high rates without hikes ( which will imply continued high inflation) would be good for stocks.
  • +1 sma3 Good job on walking 3 miles a day! I walk about 1 or 1.5 miles a day at a variety of parks in the area but I'm afraid 3 miles a day might aggravate my knee problems.
  • Wife drags me out! Before my hip acted up I could do 5. Hips are a lot easier to deal with then knees!