Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Belated anniversary: Vietnam 'Peace' accord March 29, 1973, final 'Fall of Saigon', April 30, 1975

edited March 2023 in Off-Topic
Not much to celebrate, in retrospect. Nixon/Kissinger and other hard core war insiders were finally forced to abandon the 'war'. I fully understand the initial concern of the 'cold war' era. I also understand that Asia was pretty much fed up with western powers wanting to 'run' everything. The western intervention history of the area goes back for many years, prior to Vietnam. The French were pushed out in 1955, and we stepped with military 'advisors' in 1961. As is often noted, "The rest is history". In 2008, a co-worker of my brother lived in Vietnam with his family for two years; as a lead member for the construction of an Intel Corp. factory.
My only personal side note: In late 1970, I placed a work resume with about 12 companies. One company, with whom I had a direct job interview; stated that you'll have access to many great global work locations, but your first job assignment requirement would be at military headquarters in Saigon, with a 1 year contract. UH, no thank you; nice chatting with you.

Comments

• 58,220 military personnel gave their all to date. The rest of us have been killed but we're just waiting for AO to finish us off. RIP my brothers and sisters. So sad.
  • I've lost two high school friends to AO. Yes, sad.
  • Oh yes, AO- one of our nation's finer moments.
  • Agent Orange. It just clicked for me.
  • My husband death was caused by complications from Parkinson's presumably from AO (no known family history on either side). Vietnam sandwiched our lives together. We met right after he returned from Vietnam and he left me after years fighting Parkinson's.
  • I'm sorry Anna.
  • Likewise, for sure.